Which Cold Air Intake For '08 5.4? Heard of "knock off Flowmaster Super 44s"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009 | 11:53 AM
The debate between an enclosed or open CAI system is about like the debate between Flowmaster and Magnaflow...... everybody has their opinion so get what you like and the one that fits your budget. As stated above the performance difference between enclosed/open CAI systems is negligible. From what I've read and talked about with others enclosed CAI systems tend to drone a little worse and have less of an air-sucking sound whereas open CAI systems drone less and have more of an air-sucking sound.

By the way..... keep a watch out for a deal on eBay. I got a brand new K&N 63 series CAI system for ~$180.

Old 10-30-2009 | 06:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by 08FX4
The debate between an enclosed or open CAI system is about like the debate between Flowmaster and Magnaflow...... everybody has their opinion so get what you like and the one that fits your budget. As stated above the performance difference between enclosed/open CAI systems is negligible. From what I've read and talked about with others enclosed CAI systems tend to drone a little worse and have less of an air-sucking sound whereas open CAI systems drone less and have more of an air-sucking sound.

By the way..... keep a watch out for a deal on eBay. I got a brand new K&N 63 series CAI system for ~$180.
How long ago did you get it? I didnt see anything so far. I can get a 2 yr old AEM Bruteforce for $175 shipped...but IDK if its worth it or not...

Old 10-30-2009 | 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by tsargent4
How long ago did you get it? I didnt see anything so far. I can get a 2 yr old AEM Bruteforce for $175 shipped...but IDK if its worth it or not...
It's only been a couple of months and I think the name of the place was Surplus Exhausts. If you're looking at an AEM intake you can get a brand new one for $266.98 shipped from Auto Anything.

Old 10-30-2009 | 11:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month

I currently have the S&B performance intake, and have had it since before they where released (Tester). I absolutely love it, I do feel it gave great performance gain(s), and I got the enclosed design since I live in the ultra dusty, very windy panhandle of TX. The consideration of engine bay heat was a small consideration on the part of going with a closed design vs. open design.

That said I'm currently running PHP tunes and the S&B has a bit of drone in 4th gear with the TC locked, especially at lower speeds (under 50mph). I'm going to wait and see what Bill can do with it to cure the drone. There is a very good thread over on PHP's forum about intake drone; Bill says he has had better luck curing drone in a metal tubed intake vs. a plastic tubed intake. All that said I decided I might look into a new 'metal tubed' intake such as the AF1, AEM, etc... The very first intake I ever had was a K&N (not sure on the series). I can't say I was terribly impressed, but all I had then was the edge and the drone was horrific.

Old 10-31-2009 | 07:28 AM

So that is the difference in sound? Mine is all open, not even a heat shield, and I can't hear it very well. I was hoping for more intake sound. Now I know!

Old 10-31-2009 | 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
I currently have the S&B performance intake, and have had it since before they where released (Tester). I absolutely love it, I do feel it gave great performance gain(s), and I got the enclosed design since I live in the ultra dusty, very windy panhandle of TX. The consideration of engine bay heat was a small consideration on the part of going with a closed design vs. open design.

That said I'm currently running PHP tunes and the S&B has a bit of drone in 4th gear with the TC locked, especially at lower speeds (under 50mph). I'm going to wait and see what Bill can do with it to cure the drone. There is a very good thread over on PHP's forum about intake drone; Bill says he has had better luck curing drone in a metal tubed intake vs. a plastic tubed intake. All that said I decided I might look into a new 'metal tubed' intake such as the AF1, AEM, etc... The very first intake I ever had was a K&N (not sure on the series). I can't say I was terribly impressed, but all I had then was the edge and the drone was horrific.
That's odd..... the S&B had much more drone than the K&N on my truck. I guess it's like all other things in that it varies from truck to truck. Getting the enclosed CAI system because you live in a dusty location was definitely a good decision.

Originally Posted by avfrog
So that is the difference in sound? Mine is all open, not even a heat shield, and I can't hear it very well. I was hoping for more intake sound. Now I know!
Like I said an open filter system has less drone and more air-sucking noise and an enclosed filter system has more drone and less air-sucking noise (at least on my truck).

Old 10-31-2009 | 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by tsargent4
i think the whole "gotts mod" is a joke...all he did was take he intake tube that goes into the fender and make it 1" bigger in diameter...THATS IT...i dont see why so many people are over it...
What's not to understand...if you remove a narrower point in a tube you are eliminating a restriction and will get better flow. More the joke is the commercially sold CAI's. $250+ for some metal tubing and a filter which ends up sucking in hot air from the engine bay?

Old 10-31-2009 | 04:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
That's odd..... the S&B had much more drone than the K&N on my truck. I guess it's like all other things in that it varies from truck to truck. Getting the enclosed CAI system because you live in a dusty location was definitely a good decision.

I think my issue with the K&N was my exhaust setup paired with the edge and the big lift/tires didn't help either. I'm still having pretty much the same issue now with the S&B, hell for a while I took the S&B off back in January cause I was tired of the drone and just put it back on with the PHP tunes. The tunes made a dent in the drone but it is still there. I still get plenty of dust even with the enclosed filter, it also doesn't help that I'm terrible about getting it cleaned up after every 3k miles.

If it comes down to it I'll go to a metal tubed-open filter intake since Bill has mentioned he has good luck curing the drone with a metal tubed intake.

BTW 08FX4, any pics of the stang?! I have been checking them out for a daily driver, and the new 09-10's are growing on me You can pm or email me if you have or want to share pics so as not to hijack the thread. Judging from the mods listed I bet it sounds BA!

Old 11-01-2009 | 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by linusb212
More the joke is the commercially sold CAI's. $250+ for some metal tubing and a filter which ends up sucking in hot air from the engine bay?
That pretty much sums it up.

Old 11-01-2009 | 01:40 PM
x2... for the gain you get the gotts is good for the money. Paired witha tune, much improved from my reading. Someday I will probably get a Commercial Enclosed cai for looks, but on a budget... what's to lose?

Quick Reply: Which Cold Air Intake For '08 5.4? Heard of "knock off Flowmaster Super 44s"?