Flow this...Magna that...Mella WHAT???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009 | 02:16 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Flow this...Magna that...Mella WHAT???

SO I go to get exhaust quotes from a couple of place in town. I went to the old shop that put the FM Delta Flow 50 series on my 05 Yukon. The guy there has left and opened his own business. I started talking with them and asked if anyone did Magnaflows as most everyone has been quoting FMs. They sent me to a guy that does both. So I went there and talked with him. He has 30 years experience doing exhaust. I explained that I want a nice deep rumble, loud at WOT, but NO DRONE at highway speeds. I re-iterrated that I did not want drone at 70-75 MPH!!! I also explained that I wanted a 14" Magnaflow as I like the sound better than FMs. He was a FM guy. BUt he steered me to a "Mella-Tone". It chinese made copy of FMs but really heavy duty with a couple more baffles inside than FMs. He said it would be what I wanted...LOUD when I wanted it to be and quiet on the highway. He also said that FMs outperformed Maganaflows because the chamber inside created a vaccum that actually helped pull the exhaust out. He show me a FM Super 44 which would be quieter than the 40 series...but still said I should go with the Mella tone. $220 out the door. Then we looked at tips and I want slashcut rolled in tips..so with that it would be $240 OTD. Not bad price wise, but not Magnaflow either. Its not even FM!!!! I personally like name brand stuff. I have one more shop to check, but am running out of Magnaflow exhaust people. I'm almost to the point of buying everything I want and taking it to a shop and say here...weld this up for me. The one good thing that came up was I asked if I could delete the pre-cats and install hi-flow cats. He said I could but I'd have to make sure there was enough cats to make sure I didn't get a CEL and that I pass emissions. He sold CAT CO hi flow cats (they are made in USA). A friend of mine told me that the front "pre-cats" are really resonators anyway. I don't know what to do. I could probably get a FM for less than $300 OTD but don't know if the 40 series would be too loud for my liking. Anyone ever heard of Mella-tone????-----------DirtySCREW

Old 10-29-2009 | 02:40 PM
Yeah.... take your truck and floor it the hell away from that shop. Whatever he is smoking, it's too strong for him.

I have a 14" magnaflow, there is little drone at all. A nice low hum. Magnaflow out performs flowmaster. Is it a big difference, no, but maggies are better performing mufflers. That guy should take his mella crap and jam it up his you know what. Totally wrong info and no shop IMO should be biased towards a brand. You need to get what YOU want not what some idiot says you want. I have magnaflow # 12198 and love it. I only suggest magnaflow hi flows and will add them eventually to mine. To be honest and I hate to say it becuase I like to give the shops business, but buy your own stuff and take it to a shop that knows what they are going. Also, get the muffler set-up first, let it break in and see how you like it. Then decide about hi flows. That's what I did and I know how great mine sounds, but I also realize I do want more volume and even deeper tone so I will prolly get 94106 maggie hi flows in a couple of years. Good luck dude.

Old 10-29-2009 | 02:45 PM
Magnaflow all the way. great performance and good sound too. i have the 3" pipe coming out of the si/so muffler. not sure the part number off the top of my head tho

Old 10-29-2009 | 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Yeah.... take your truck and floor it the hell away from that shop. Whatever he is smoking, it's too strong for him.

I have a 14" magnaflow, there is little drone at all. A nice low hum. Magnaflow out performs flowmaster. Is it a big difference, no, but maggies are better performing mufflers. That guy should take his mella crap and jam it up his you know what. Totally wrong info and no shop IMO should be biased towards a brand. You need to get what YOU want not what some idiot says you want. I have magnaflow # 12198 and love it. I only suggest magnaflow hi flows and will add them eventually to mine. To be honest and I hate to say it becuase I like to give the shops business, but buy your own stuff and take it to a shop that knows what they are going. Also, get the muffler set-up first, let it break in and see how you like it. Then decide about hi flows. That's what I did and I know how great mine sounds, but I also realize I do want more volume and even deeper tone so I will prolly get 94106 maggie hi flows in a couple of years. Good luck dude.
When you work in a shop you get a lot of people asking for your opinion. I've done it lots on both ends. Most people are biased towards their choices and likes. For example if you asked which brand of truck is the best on here 95%+ would say Ford, then do that on a Chev site and Dodge site and ask who makes the best truck, 95%+ will say their truck. It all comes down to personal preference. Same with exhaust just because you haven't heard of it doesn't automatically mean its bad. He may have put that exhaust on 100 peoples vehicles and all of them are satisfied customers and thats why he could be suggesting it.

Old 10-29-2009 | 03:26 PM
I understand that man... but he said he wants a magnaflow and the guy is giving wrong info. Flows chambers restrict flow. It's a fact. Exhaust shops should know that. There is no excuse. If the OP wants something, he should not be told else wise. It's his truck he needs to be happy

Old 10-29-2009 | 03:54 PM
get a 14" oval body magnaflow muffler online, tips online, and have a shop weld it up. thats the easiest and smartest way to do it. then you wont have to deal with stupid people telling you what you should put on ur truck.

Old 10-29-2009 | 04:59 PM
Truck of the Month
You could give the knock off muffler a chance, but chances are it will sound worse than the Magnaflow and Flowmaster. I would go for the Magnaflow 14" body. My true dualed 11" bodies aren't thatloud at all inside, I barely hear them, especially after getting new tires, and always playing some music ofcoarse.

Originally Posted by migdaddy
get a 14" oval body magnaflow muffler online, tips online, and have a shop weld it up. thats the easiest and smartest way to do it. then you wont have to deal with stupid people telling you what you should put on ur truck.
x2. Best way to get the exact parts you want.

Old 10-29-2009 | 07:08 PM
Agreed. If you want it done your way, buy online and pay a shop to weld it!

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:00 PM
I think most shops in the South push Flowmaster and Catco. One shop owner told me I didn't want to run Magnaflow cats, "you won't pass emissions" (he is in a non emission county, same clown that told me programmers will ruin yer truck)

another shop owner told me he had lots of problems with Magnaflow cats and switched to Catco.

I tell ya, I'd rather use a hammer & vise and bend my own pipe than let some of the crackheads down here bend it...

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:13 PM
|

Truckguy---I was wanting Magnafloe hi-flow cats with the 14" muffler and deleting the precats. I have 137K miles on my truck and am trying to get the best MPGs I can. I figured a cat upgrade Should help out, as the factory ones are probably pretty clogged. I'm still searching for LT headers.

Ideally I want LT headers, and either a performance y-pipe, Magnaflow Hi-flow cats, SIDO Magnaflow 14", rolled tips....OR

LT headers, x-pipe, Maganflow hi-flow cats, dual magnaflows, rolled tips.

I hear ya Phatbak---thats how I feel. I've got 1 more shop to check with that I think does magnaflow. After that (if it doesn't go well) I guess I'll be ordering from Jegs or some other online (give suggestions) retailer.---DirtySCREW

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:20 PM
Performancepeddler.com has good prices, but I use Summit Racing since I don't live too far from it.

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:20 PM
summit racing, jegs, performance peddler, ebay, amazon, magnaflow planet

do a google search. theres a milliom vendors out there that are pretty reputable

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:29 PM
|

AVFROG----I have to admit, you have the BEST sounding flowmaster on a F150 that I've heard!!!! Sound AWESOME!!! And you interior isn't that bad from what I could tell in the video.

I orginally wanted the 14" Magnaflow because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwDOFlPKce4

Its 72Andrews truck..and only a year older than mine, so I figured it should sound very close if I did Maggie Hi-cats like he did and the 14" muffler.

But Avfrogs Flowmaster sounds good too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKfPLuTEDms

I want my exhaust to be quiet on the highway and be loud at WOT. Cruising around town I just a nice deep rumble. SO I guess I kinda want it in-between 72Andrews and AVfrogs---Help!!!-------DirtySCREW

Old 10-29-2009 | 11:17 PM
Borla maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCh-7nzgdso

I'll be getting this

Old 10-30-2009 | 07:01 AM
I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 36834. Also some of the forum sponsors selling magnaflow usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great cat, sounds great, and very easy to install.

Last edited by gabe74gt; 10-31-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Flow this...Magna that...Mella WHAT???