What?!?!? Dual COLD AIR INTAKE?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009 | 07:53 PM
the only type of truck that sould have dual intakes are trucks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdiqK68iOg

Old 10-31-2009 | 07:57 PM
Yes, IMO, it is stupid too. But it would be more functional than a standard single tube intake.

If the throttle body is 3.5" then a single tube that 3.5" is only going to get a certain amount of air. But if a dual intake had two 3" tubes that went into one, the air flow efficiency would be much greater.

Granted a major tune would be needed with this, but, I think the results of this would be a bit greater than one 3.5" intake tube. Just my opinion.

Old 11-11-2009 | 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by BigBlue5.4
Yes, IMO, it is stupid too. But it would be more functional than a standard single tube intake.

If the throttle body is 3.5" then a single tube that 3.5" is only going to get a certain amount of air. But if a dual intake had two 3" tubes that went into one, the air flow efficiency would be much greater.

Granted a major tune would be needed with this, but, I think the results of this would be a bit greater than one 3.5" intake tube. Just my opinion.
But wouldn't it create a lot of turbulence where the two tube joins. Just like aftermarket headers they tend to separate each exits with its own tube to the exhaust but then again merging back all together.... I wonder if it would cause a lot of turbulence the two intakes ... might depend on how much flow goes through each. I guess in the headers they can merge back together is because each individual tubes have the same air flow coming out of the engine so it does not really matter as in the two intakes having them not at the same place might not have the smae flow through them...

just wondering

Old 11-11-2009 | 08:29 PM
I would think the same thing pat. Imo with headers, if you get headers, bet true duals to eliminate that possibility and gain more out of the system.

Old 11-11-2009 | 08:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Just like some others have posted before. The throttle body chokes the air flow, so this novelty idea becomes pointless. Waste of $$$$!

Old 11-17-2009 | 03:30 PM
The disadvantages should be obvious. The advantage it would seem is more filtration media in a given area, it MIGHT flow better than an equivalent diameter single filter setup. But somehow I doubt it...

Quick Reply: What?!?!? Dual COLD AIR INTAKE?!?!