Exhaust and MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009 | 12:37 AM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Exhaust and MPGs

ok guys, Please ONLY respond if you have REAL WORLD Results.

Provided you keep your big right foot out of it, does an exhaust system give you better gas mileage??? I got zilch out if my FM 50 series on my Yukon. I understand the "concept" that the engine is a big air pump and the more air IN AND OUT the more efficient it is and reducing the back pressure and all .....but did you notice a jump in MPGs?? 1 MPG better? None?---DirtySCREW

Old 11-03-2009 | 02:13 AM
Truck of the Month
I always drive for gas mileage because I cannot afford another vehicle for daily driving. My 2.5" true duals did indeed help with my economy. Mainly in the 4th gear O/D area, it loves it on open highway & regular cruising. I lost a pinch of low end and it takes 2100rpm to get it moving at a decent rate, but my exhaust has helped. The removal of that restricted OEM Y pipe is the real source of economy killing ( too much velocity ) and the deleting of the rear cats help too, as did my direct flowing Magnaflow mufflers.

Now to talk numbers, I got a consistant 14mpg average from the first 4 tanks of gas I ran when I bought the truck. It gained up to 15.4 - 15.8mpg after the duals X piped installed, and a 15.5 - 16.2 average after the rear converter delete. Highway driving I got 18.4mpg all stock, 19.6 after exhaust, and 20.1mpg custom tuned and with rear cats deleted.

Aside of converter work, you will basically see noticeable gains from a direct flowing muffler, over a chambered one. I had true dualed Super 44s and my mpg average was 13.7 before, and 12.8 - 13.2 afterwards..

Old 11-03-2009 | 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Aside of converter work, you will basically see noticeable gains from a direct flowing muffler, over a chambered one. I had true dualed Super 44s and my mpg average was 13.7 before, and 12.8 - 13.2 afterwards..
This was on a Silverado 6.0L. One heck of a gas motor...

Old 11-03-2009 | 04:14 PM
|

I just had a Maggie SIDO put on and the guy at the shop said I should get about 15-20 miles more per tank withthis setup. SO just doing quick math in my head that should average out to about .7-.8 better MPGS. Hey I'll take all I can get!!!----DirtySCREW

Old 11-03-2009 | 04:55 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by BigBlue5.4
This was on a Silverado 6.0L. One heck of a gas motor...
True, but my point being that I went from a direct flowing muffler to a chambered muffler & noticed a loss. Direct flowing = better at cruising speed.

Originally Posted by DirtySCREW
I just had a Maggie SIDO put on and the guy at the shop said I should get about 15-20 miles more per tank withthis setup. SO just doing quick math in my head that should average out to about .7-.8 better MPGS. Hey I'll take all I can get!!!----DirtySCREW
Definitely, every drop of fuel matters these days.

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 11-03-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2009 | 06:26 PM
I gained .8 MPG with my 18" SIDO and high flow cats. That is in the city. I gained somewhere from .8-1.2 MPG on the highway at 70.

I'm hoping when I get my true duals this Christmas and cut out that horrid factory Y, that I might get a little bit more.

Old 11-03-2009 | 06:35 PM
|

Yea Big Blue.....I've gotta save up now for most likely the Pacesetter LTs and their Y pipe. I think its $400 something for both. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the Dynatech LTs that come with hi-flow cats, but I don't have $1500 right now. Especially with everything else I "need" to do to the truck. I also didn't have the $$$ for true duals so I went with my Maggie SIDO setup. I'm happy and I guess thats all that matters. But I DO have to fix that manifold leak!! Its driving me nuts.---DirtySCREW

Old 11-03-2009 | 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I always drive for gas mileage because I cannot afford another vehicle for daily driving. My 2.5" true duals did indeed help with my economy. Mainly in the 4th gear O/D area, it loves it on open highway & regular cruising. I lost a pinch of low end and it takes 2100rpm to get it moving at a decent rate, but my exhaust has helped. The removal of that restricted OEM Y pipe is the real source of economy killing ( too much velocity ) and the deleting of the rear cats help too, as did my direct flowing Magnaflow mufflers.

Now to talk numbers, I got a consistant 14mpg average from the first 4 tanks of gas I ran when I bought the truck. It gained up to 15.4 - 15.8mpg after the duals X piped installed, and a 15.5 - 16.2 average after the rear converter delete. Highway driving I got 18.4mpg all stock, 19.6 after exhaust, and 20.1mpg custom tuned and with rear cats deleted.

I get 22 mpg after my exhaust install!
Not really, I get 15 to 16 highway if I'm lucky

Quick Reply: Exhaust and MPGs