Got a new exhaust and met probably the dumbest exhaust guy ever!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009 | 11:51 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Got a new exhaust and met probably the dumbest exhaust guy ever!

Well today I went to a muffler shop to get my exhaust redone for what has to be the 12th time. Anyway's I pulled up and luckily their wasn't anyone getting any work done to a vehicle so the employee walks out and greets me. He asks what I want done today and I told him that I wanted to take off my true duals and add a Y-pipe with 3" pipe ran out behind the passenger side tire without a tip or muffler. He looks at me funny and asks why and I told him that I wanted to get rid of the duals and the loud pop and crackling but still have a nice throaty exhaust tone. He then proceeds to tell me that the 3" exhaust will pop and crackle just as much as the duals and won't be any quieter and starts to go on and on about his magnaflow and flowmaster mufflers and how good of a deal he'ld make me on one. I say ok let me check out your prices. We walk in the store and he is trying to sell the Flowmaster Super 44's for $135 a peice and the 14" Magnaflow's for $200. I understand making a little profit off stuff you sale but geeze that's not a good deal in my mind. After arguing back and forth for 15 minutes I finally say **** it and walk out the door and told him i'm sure some other shop will be happy to get my business. He then say's well i'm just trying to help you out but i'll do it if you want so after an hours work he's done. I must say he was wrong. I think i've finally found my soul mate. This exhaust sounds great. It's got a deep rumble without any pop or crackling. It get's loud when I want it and quiet when i'm cruising around town. I know I could have acheived the same thing with the duals and the right muffler but i'm getting out of the dual exhaust stage and wanted it to look factory. Walking around my truck you'll never suspect any thing changed with the exhaust but crank her up and you get the beautiful sound of the Ford Torque! I will get an exhaust video tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2009 | 01:10 AM
great story. i kind of wanted another one.

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:08 AM
Truck of the Month
Nice plan. So lets re-cap, you originally had true dual straights, then cut the rear cats out, then put in dumped 40s? If so, sweet it'll be interesting to hear your exhaust now.

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:34 AM
|

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Nice plan. So lets re-cap, you originally had true dual straights, then cut the rear cats out, then put in dumped 40s? If so, sweet it'll be interesting to hear your exhaust now.
Yea that's a short recap of the exhaust changes i've made. My wife say's that i'm addicted and need rehab. I'll have a video posted tomorrow. This time I even kept the entire exhaust system so if I ever got tired of this setup I can just cut out the old and weld the duals back in place. I think i'm done this time though. Finger's crossed.

Old 12-15-2009 | 11:36 AM
I can't believe you got rid of dumped 40s You should have cut the turn downs off and you would have like them better. Either way you sound happy with this 3" straight so congrats! Can't wait for a video. It seams like there are more and more stupid people working in exhaust shops these days. If I had the money I would start a shop on the side.

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:42 PM
Truck of the Month
Well he wasn't happy with the performance lag neither. I was surprised how quiet the dumped 40s were when it he put them on, tailpipes with straights sounded way better.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:08 PM
^ I wouldn't go that far... I am very curious to hear this 3" single straight video though!

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:11 PM
video or it didnt happen

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:12 PM
That's what you should try Darren... y pipe, 3" no muffler, y pipe then tails...

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:35 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by avfrog
That's what you should try Darren... y pipe, 3" no muffler, y pipe then tails...
I was planning to change to a 3" exhaust to a SI/DO Borla, but I do not think I will bother with this truck. Mine sounds fine, and I can deal with it it performs just fine for me.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:42 PM
|

Ok fellas here's the videos. The first one is just a rev up. The wind was blowing pretty hard so i'm not sure how good it is. The sound program file somehow got deleted on my computer so I can't listen to them and the speaker on my camera sounds crappy when I replay the videos so i'm not sure how good they came out. The second video is just showing how the exhaust sounds inside the cab with the windows rolled up and the go pedal mashed to the floor. I had to start at about 10mph cause anything lower and my truck would spin horribly. Not sure if you can tell or not but even at that starting speed my truck still spun for about twenty feet. Let me know what you guy's think. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzb4KmffaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzgEVMkYVyk

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:44 PM
Truck of the Month
Sounds good and clear for a straight pipe! Very nice man.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:48 PM
|

Originally Posted by avfrog
I can't believe you got rid of dumped 40s You should have cut the turn downs off and you would have like them better. Either way you sound happy with this 3" straight so congrats! Can't wait for a video. It seams like there are more and more stupid people working in exhaust shops these days. If I had the money I would start a shop on the side.
Ehh the 40's sounded like crap on my truck for some reason. I wanna open a do it all shop. Sell exhausts,audio,tire's,wheels,window tint,paint job's and other auto accessories.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by che22879
video or it didnt happen
It happened and your proof is below.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:55 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4
Ehh the 40's sounded like crap on my truck for some reason. I wanna open a do it all shop. Sell exhausts,audio,tire's,wheels,window tint,paint job's and other auto accessories.
I could work for ya, I do tint, wheels, and can do some exhaust work, but too bad im in PA

Quick Reply: Got a new exhaust and met probably the dumbest exhaust guy ever!