Wet vs. Dry CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010 | 06:57 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by skippy dunbar
Fare enough... But dont always believe the dyno results posted by the manufactures or even the TV shows.. The manufactures have only one goal - to get you to spend your money on their product... And the TV show's are all sponsored by the manufactures... They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them...

The only way to know for sure is to take YOUR truck to a shop and and have a dynomometer test run on it before and after installing your mod... How many guy's actually do this..?
Goodness no! They post much higher numbers. These are dynos of tuners and members on here.

Old 08-02-2010 | 05:20 AM
By the yaw, dyno runs is not that accurate. I have read an article about how a dyno shop can give you + or - 25 to 50 % on yore HP. The variables are too many to control all (Ambient Temp, Ambient Pressure, Engine Temp… etc).

I agree with the Idea that CAI will not give you much in HP gins (10 HP max). Even that will be at higher RPM, typically on the last 1,500 before peak power.

Unless you have a mode where the engine requires more are like supercharging, porting, or cams. Then the stock system is restrictive and a higher flowing system is required to coop with the extra flow rewired.

For example, if you get a super charger and all stock intake you may get 50% increase in power. Ad CAI and you may get additional 5-10%, a god full exhaust (Headers + Cates + Cat back) will and another 5-15%, custom programming will maybe another 10-20%.

Don’t tack the numbers as actual I put them their for explanation purposes. It all depends on each component and how it is will complement the other systems.

Old 08-02-2010 | 05:25 AM
Truck of the Month
Fare enough... But dont always believe the dyno results posted by the manufactures or even the TV shows.. The manufactures have only one goal - to get you to spend your money on their product... And the TV show's are all sponsored by the manufactures... They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them...

The only way to know for sure is to take YOUR truck to a shop and and have a dynomometer test run on it before and after installing your mod... How many guy's actually do this..?
hey there newB, so what do you think members have done???

and yes people share thier real workd experiences on this forum, we aren't here for the aftermarket companies we're here to help each other

Old 08-03-2010 | 12:20 AM
I'm from Michigan and have buddys who are engineers both at GM and Ford.. All agree the CAI is a waist of money and a good way to ruin the pston rings in your engine. The CAI kits with the oiled filter have an added bonus (for the auto parts dealers) in that they can also ruin your MAS.
I've yet to see one ruin a MAF but they will put oil on the wires that requires cleaning. A simple 2 minute job and the truck is as good as new.

According to them, its not really the temp of the air that enters the engine that gives you more H.P. its the amount of the air. If the air temp were a factor then every car in winter states would see a performance gain on those cold frigid days we get up here. But this is not the case.
Actually colder air does make more power. Its dyno proven and you can even feel it with your butt dyno. Live in Arizona for a year and tell me your truck is just as fast with 110-120 degree day as it is on a 40 degree night. Hell even ford now has factory "Cold air intakes" on their motors and they say its more power then old set ups

Colder air is denser and helps with heat soaking.

Any stock air intake with a clean filter can move just as much air as any CAI can. Another problem with the CAI (besides fouling the MAS), is that the filters do not meet the strict OEM requirements for cleaning dirt particles out of the airflow. So constant use of CAI will result in quicker wear of piston rings and intake valves.
Stock air filter cannot allow as much air in as an aftermarket filter. Hence why a dyno of a CAI shows an improvment in power. The more surface area a filter has the more air that it allows through. Now given the second part of your statement, Yes alot of aftermarket filters dont filter as much as a stock filter does. Hence the helping make more power. However a properly oiled K&N will work just fine. The oil helps trap dirt and I have NEVER heard of any car/truck anything blowing up because of the filter allowing to much dirt and nasties into the engine. A lean condition maybe, dirt, I doubt it.

A CAI will make your engine sound louder and give your exhaust a lower more "throatier" sound. This leads to the myth of a H.P. gain. The driver thinks the engine "sounds" more powerfull, so it must be.. But the truth is, its only louder. That is direct advice from two of the guys who design and test the trucks you love to drive and buy mods for. Save your money and skip the CAI. Get a tunner. It will produce real horsepower gain's by changing your engine and transmission programing. A performance exhaust will also provide a slight performance gain, but not much as most new vehicles are designed with low restriction exhaust systems now.
These two guys should tell all the supercharger/turbocharger manufacturers that all these cold air intakes they sell are useless and that the tiny stock filter will be good enough for any boost amounts. Sure a CAI isnt going to make your truck feel like a GT500. Its the same thing with exhaust, you'll never feel an 5-10RWHP increase in power in a 5600 lb truck. A tuner will net you 20-30RWHP and that with the trans changes will get you a butt dyno result.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 08-03-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2010 | 12:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Bench flow test results.
By Jim Allen
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/6494-post1.html

Old 08-05-2010 | 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
hey there newB, so what do you think members have done???

and yes people share thier real workd experiences on this forum, we aren't here for the aftermarket companies we're here to help each other
I may be a newbie to the forum and a newbie to Ford's (was always a Chevy truck owner) but I live in Michigan, in a GM town, was put through engineering school on my dad's GM salary and have several friends who are engineers for both Ford and GM. One of them works at Vistion village and designed parts of your (and my) truck... So I take them at there word when they say CAI is a waste of your money. If it were not, dont you think Ford would have put a CAI on a Mustang or one of the SVT vehicles by now..? In the winter, here in Michigan, when it is 20 degrees below zero, every car on the road has cold air induction. they dont get any performance gains.. And the line about a 'laminer air flow" is a gimmick also. Because once the airstream makes a 90 degree turn from your throttle boddy into your intake manifold the airflow becomes turbulent again. CAI is a gimick... Just like throtle body spacers that create a vortex in the airstream ( and cancel's out your laminer airflow from your CAI).. But enogh of my rant... Its your money, your truck, buy a CAI if you like...

Last edited by skippy dunbar; 08-05-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2010 | 02:10 AM
i kinda want a CAI just for the change in sound lol idc if it helps or not atleast i can say he guys I GOT A CAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2010 | 03:09 AM
So if colder air doesn't make more power by virtue of being denser, then I guess my intercooler on my racecar didn't add that power that it did. In fact, I guess that would mean any kind of cooling of the incoming air would be obsolete. So that means nitrous oxide doesn't really give you any power either since it's main purpose is to drastically drop intake tempratures. And, honestly, don't trust a dyno? I understand there are variables at hand, but if no one trusted a dyno then we'de just have one big pissing contest as to who's engine is more powerful with no way of knowing what kind of power they even make in the first place. I'm sorry, but any "engineer" you may know that tells you things like that should probably just go ahead and learn the basic physics and thermal dynamics of the modern internal cumbustion engine. Oh, and by the way, mustangs have been using CAI's from the factory in the form of a fender mounted intake tube. Even my 9th gen F-150 has a factory snorkel that comes from the airbox directly into the grill.

Last edited by Samson-owns-you; 08-06-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2010 | 09:04 AM
In the winter, here in Michigan, when it is 20 degrees below zero, every car on the road has cold air induction. they dont get any performance gains.. .
Really? Come on dude, I live just north of you and your telling me that your truck or any car does not run better in the cooler/colder temps. obviously there is a line at which its too cold, but come on

Originally Posted by Samson-owns-you
So if colder air doesn't make more power by virtue of being denser, then I guess my intercooler on my racecar didn't add that power that it did.
Of course didnt you know? Run that intake tube as close to the headers as possible and make sure to take the header wrap off too. The hotter air will help with detonation so your spark plugs dont have to do all the work

Old 08-06-2010 | 09:59 AM
Global Moderator &
I can beieve those engineers told you that. They're the same guys that thought 4 threads would hold a sparkplug in a head, then let Honeywell sell them a plug design that breaks off in heads and put tunes intrucks that were so unresponsive it was dangerous to pass on a two lane. Gimmie a break! LOL

Old 08-06-2010 | 12:25 PM
If it were not, dont you think Ford would have put a CAI on a Mustang or one of the SVT vehicles by now..?
Um the 2010 mustang comes with factory cold air intake. Its why its rated at 315HP over the 2009 300HP
http://mustangforums.com/articles/20...rformance.html
Quote: "The new engine gets its cold intake air from a system built into the grille"

GT500 has a cold air intake factory from the KR version
Quote "Thanks to a cold air intake and other tweaks, power and torque are up 40 HP and 30 Lb-Ft, respectively" thats all factory

http://jalopnik.com/5199679/2010-she...00-first-drive

I'm real glad smart guys are designing our cars. If they didnt I wouldnt have a job as a mechanic.

Quick Reply: Wet vs. Dry CAI