Wet vs. Dry CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010 | 09:39 AM
|
Wet vs. Dry CAI

What are your opinions on "wet" cai filters vs. the "dry" elements?

Any and all pro`s vs. con`s welcome!

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2010 | 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by swank07'
What are your opinions on "wet" cai filters vs. the "dry" elements?

Any and all pro`s vs. con`s welcome!

Thanks!
Well, apart from the obvious risk of MAF contamination from over-oiling a wet filter - which is very common, and folks who neglect the cleaning regimen, both are 99% marketing BS and 1% functonal. Almost all that claim to 'flow' better WILL let in more contaminants. And I emphasize the term 'claim'.

Can't beat the OEM filter. Spend yer $$$ elsewhere (like on proper tuning).

Old 01-15-2010 | 10:35 AM
|
Roger that MGD thnx

Old 01-15-2010 | 11:14 AM
MGD where the heck have you been!?!

I've seen your name in a long time!

Old 01-15-2010 | 11:22 AM
He took a 2 year vacation MT

Old 01-15-2010 | 11:22 AM
Global Moderator &
I have used the K&N dropin which is a wet filter. It does not save any noticable gas or add any power. I use it because it save money on filters. I have had it 5 years, and 96,000 miles. I service it every 15,000 to 20,000 and have never had a problem. The truck does not use oil and I can tell no adverse effects from the filter.

Old 01-15-2010 | 03:13 PM
Mine is dry and when I installed it I felt power increase. Very easy to clean as well. I went with A&E cold air intake

Old 01-15-2010 | 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
MGD where the heck have you been!?!

I've seen your name in a long time!
Hiya MT .

Shhhh - I been keeping a real low profile - don't tell anyone

Good to 'see' you again

Old 01-15-2010 | 06:08 PM
S&B Cold Air Intake here, it's a wet filter. Red like K&N. I like it a lot, really noticeable power increase and I would think that a wet filter would be a bit better at trapping contaminates than a dry one.

Old 01-15-2010 | 07:08 PM
Can't go wrong with a K&N... unless you over oil it!

Old 01-15-2010 | 07:17 PM
use my K&N have 2 filters i rotate. after i clean and oil a new one i let it sit for a day or 2 so the oil soaks in good. never had a prob with over oiling ive checked in the intake after oiling never had any red inside. i think thats a myth ive never seen it happen all my friends run K&N and non of them have ever done it.

Old 01-15-2010 | 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
use my K&N have 2 filters i rotate. after i clean and oil a new one i let it sit for a day or 2 so the oil soaks in good. never had a prob with over oiling ive checked in the intake after oiling never had any red inside. i think thats a myth ive never seen it happen all my friends run K&N and non of them have ever done it.
No myth. Just ask Jbrew. Even the factory over-oils them on occasion.

You & your buds just know how to do it correctly.

I am less confident that, depending on where/how run run yer trucks, that these things are keeping as much crap out as ya think, lol.

Old 08-01-2010 | 05:19 PM
Wet v Drry CAI

I'm from Michigan and have buddys who are engineers both at GM and Ford.. All agree the CAI is a waist of money and a good way to ruin the pston rings in your engine. The CAI kits with the oiled filter have an added bonus (for the auto parts dealers) in that they can also ruin your MAS.

According to them, its not really the temp of the air that enters the engine that gives you more H.P. its the amount of the air. If the air temp were a factor then every car in winter states would see a performance gain on those cold frigid days we get up here. But this is not the case. Any stock air intake with a clean filter can move just as much air as any CAI can. Another problem with the CAI (besides fouling the MAS), is that the filters do not meet the strict OEM requirements for cleaning dirt particles out of the airflow. So constant use of CAI will result in quicker wear of piston rings and intake valves.

A CAI will make your engine sound louder and give your exhaust a lower more "throatier" sound. This leads to the myth of a H.P. gain. The driver thinks the engine "sounds" more powerfull, so it must be.. But the truth is, its only louder. That is direct advice from two of the guys who design and test the trucks you love to drive and buy mods for. Save your money and skip the CAI. Get a tunner. It will produce real horsepower gain's by changing your engine and transmission programing. A performance exhaust will also provide a slight performance gain, but not much as most new vehicles are designed with low restriction exhaust systems now.

I have just purchased a 2010 F150 FX4, the only mods on my list are a performance exhaust and a tunner (when I can find one I like). No plans to add a CAI... See my post on the Magnaflow 16523 kit I just installed a few weeks ago...

Last edited by skippy dunbar; 08-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2010 | 05:35 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by skippy dunbar
I'm from Michigan and have buddys who are engineers both at GM and Ford.. All agree the CAI is a waist of money and a good way to ruin the pston rings in your engine. The CAI kits with the oiled filter have an added bonus (for the auto parts dealers) in that they can also ruin your MAS.

According to them, its not really the temp of the air that enters the engine that gives you more H.P. its the amount of the air. If the air temp were a factor then every car in winter states would see a performance gain on those cold frigid days we get up here. But this is not the case. Any stock air intake with a clean filter can move just as much air as any CAI can. Another problem with the CAI (besides fouling the MAS), is that the filters do not meet the strict OEM requirements for cleaning dirt particles out of the airflow. So constant use of CAI will result in quicker wear of piston rings and intake valves.

A CAI will make your engine sound louder and give your exhaust a lower more "throatier" sound. This leads to the myth of a H.P. gain. The driver thinks the engine "sounds" more powerfull, so it must be.. But the truth is, its only louder. That is direct advice from two of the guys who design and test the trucks you love to drive and buy mods for. Save your money and skip the CAI. Get a tunner. It will produce real horsepower gain's by changing your engine and transmission programing. A performance exhaust will also provide a slight performance gain, but not much as most new vehicles are designed with low restriction exhaust systems now.

I have just purchased a 2010 F150 FX4, the only mods on my list are a performance exhaust and a tunner (when I can find one I like). No plans to add a CAI... See my post on the Magnaflow 16523 kit I just installed a few weeks ago...
Dyno runs demonstrate 6 to 10 hp gains with aftermarket intakes. You can get about the same results from the Gotts mod to the stock intake. The aftermarkets do give you a little more HP, just not much for the cost. I do not disagree with your statements about a tuner. By far the best results for the cost.

Old 08-01-2010 | 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Dyno runs demonstrate 6 to 10 hp gains with aftermarket intakes. You can get about the same results from the Gotts mod to the stock intake. The aftermarkets do give you a little more HP, just not much for the cost. I do not disagree with your statements about a tuner. By far the best results for the cost.
Fare enough... But dont always believe the dyno results posted by the manufactures or even the TV shows.. The manufactures have only one goal - to get you to spend your money on their product... And the TV show's are all sponsored by the manufactures... They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them...

The only way to know for sure is to take YOUR truck to a shop and and have a dynomometer test run on it before and after installing your mod... How many guy's actually do this..?

Quick Reply: Wet vs. Dry CAI