2.25 duals or 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010 | 02:26 AM
|
Get a tune afterwards and you should see some nice gains up top from the headers... not sure what shortys do for the low end on mod motors though.

Old 02-08-2010 | 02:30 AM
Truck of the Month
jba shortys are suppose to be just as good as long tube headers. they have a dyno graph on thier website. I already got a tune but im planing on stepin up to a gryphon. i posted the link for you down below.
http://products.jbaheaders.com/asset...05f150dyno.jpg

Old 02-08-2010 | 03:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Fact of the matter is, in physics, longtube headers will flow, and perform the best. Short tube headers will not ever be 'as good' as full length longtubes.

Old 02-08-2010 | 04:45 AM
?

Originally Posted by 429 boss mustan
well man i order a di/do muffler, tru x pipe, and 2 high flow cats from magnaflow all are 2.5 inch. Also got some jba shorty headers. My truck is a 04 newer body style with the 4.6. Im hoping it will improve it greatly. Ill let you know when they finally come in lol I wonder could i use 2.25 piping for them?
2.5" on a 4.6? hope it" a rcsb 2wd with at least 3.73's

Old 02-08-2010 | 04:58 AM
I would go with 2.25. That's what I have with the 4.6 and I also have an H pipe. I have no complaints about it. It sounds good and has good performance. That is my suggestion.

Old 02-08-2010 | 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by chevyman96
Point is the performance loss is not a big deal. Its a truck not a race car, whats a couple horsepower matter.

The X is yall buying into crap you read online and everyone saying "awwww man you gotta have an x to balance it'll run like ****"

Thats just not true, the top end will actually be better with duals. The low end will be about the same or just a little worse.

I guess what Im trying to say is Im all about sound, I could careless about very minimal performance on my daily driver.

Thats why I like straight true dual 2.5 because in the sound department it wins IMO.
Maybe you should sit back and just take notes for the next month instead of coming here and spouting out crap that has been proven to be/to not be good for performance.

Old 02-08-2010 | 12:26 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
2.5" on a 4.6? hope it" a rcsb 2wd with at least 3.73's
Mines a supercab. lol Anyways i plan on swaping the gears to 4:10 at the moment i only have 3:55 open diff.

Old 02-08-2010 | 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Maybe you should sit back and just take notes for the next month instead of coming here and spouting out crap that has been proven to be/to not be good for performance.
Sorry man Im just giving my opinion, which he asked for what people thought, Im sure there are those out there that agree with me.

Those 4.6's are real screamers

Old 02-08-2010 | 02:53 PM
Im sure there are those out there that agree with me.
None on this board, maybe on a Chebby site.

Old 02-08-2010 | 02:53 PM

I'd put my money on Punisher over a chevy anyday...

Old 02-08-2010 | 03:50 PM
I'm not trying to fuel any fires, but i found this piece of info on this site in regards to crossover pipes. It made me not run any crossover in my setup. This guy could be completely wrong, but it made sense to me:

H-pipe use in Ford vehicles is half a century old. X-pipes have replaced typical H-pipe uses. Both are to be placed in a specific area of the exhaust with equal lengths of pipe BEFORE them, making them inefficient on F-150s. Here is an expert opinion on the difference:

Quote 1- "Why is an "X" pipe better than an "H"? The reason an X-Pipe crossover works better than an H-pipe crossover isn't more flow because of volume, but more effective use of exhaust gas velocity. Exhaust gas (or air) has surface tension, and flows much like liquid would through the same pipe system. As the cylinders of each bank on a "V" style motor fire, they create a pulse in the system. The pulses will alternate back and forth from bank to bank as the motor runs. With multiple cylinders, such as a V-8, the eight cylinders alternately fire creates lots of pulses in the system. If you put your hand behind the tailpipe, it would feel like a constant flow of air, but what it really is a lot of singular pulses giving the impression of constant flow. The idea behind the H and X style crossover is to unite the two banks of cylinders for better exhaust gas scavenging. Instead of two separate banks of four cylinders doing their own work, the crossover uses the pulse created by a firing cylinder of one bank to create a vacuum in the other bank because of surface tension. When a cylinder of the other bank is ready to fire, instead of the piston having to force the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, the vacuum that was created by the other cylinder bank helps suck the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, hence the term "scavenging." Whenever you can reduce the load on an internal combustion engine, you are likely going to see performance and efficiency benefits. The difference between an H and X crossover is a smoother path for the exhaust gas to follow. Exhaust gas, like a liquid, will follow a path with the least amount of resistance. An H crossover has a path with two sharp 90-degree angles that are close together. An X crossover has a path with a much more gradual bend to allow the exhaust gases to continue their path back out to the ends of the tailpipes, rather then turning sideways for a short distance, then turn again to head out the tailpipes. Smooth flow with high velocity means more power by use of scavenging. Using an exhaust system with too large of piping diameter work against scavenging in the same way that running an exhaust with too small of tubing chokes the motor and forces it to work harder to expel the exhaust gases."

Quote 2- "For any performance exhaust system, some type of crossover connecting the two sides of a dual exhaust system is important because it acts to balance the two banks of the engine. The common H-style crossover is good at balancing sound pulses between the two halves, but does little to promote scavenging because the exhaust gases tend to follow the path of least resistance, which is straight through each pipe rather than taking the 90-degree turn through the H-pipe into the other half of the system. In an X-pipe system, however, where the two sides of the system intersect, the gasses have no choice but to intermingle as they pass through the junction. This promotes improved scavenging effects by smoothing out uneven exhaust pulses from the engine’s firing order. It also helps quiet down the exhaust, resulting in a mellower, less raspy tone. The faster acceleration of the gasses through an X-pipe causes them to flow in a linear fashion parallel to the walls of the tubing rather than tumbling. This “laminar” flowing gas is much quieter than tumbling gas, resulting in an exhaust tone up to 8 decibels quieter than a traditional H-pipe."

Old 02-08-2010 | 05:32 PM
on my old setup i had true duals with 2.5" piping flowmaster deltas and NO x or h pipe. it was on a 2000 5.4 lariat 2wd scab. it sounded good and on the open highway i got great mpg. i averaged 20.5 to 21.5. i never towed so i cant tell you if i lost anything by not having an x or h pipe or 2.5" piping. i will say on the truck i have now 07 5.4 fx2 scab, it has a si/do 40 flowmaster and my highway mpg sucks donkey ***** to be honest. 17.5 to 18.5 mpg. so if you want 2.5" pipe no x or h then go for it. im not saying its the best but i did get really good mpg and a good sound.

Old 02-08-2010 | 06:39 PM
Sorry man Im just giving my opinion, which he asked for what people thought, Im sure there are those out there that agree with me.

im pretty sure at the top of this web page it says 'the unofficial resource for FORD truck enthusiasts'. that simply means you aint exactly welcome here

Old 02-08-2010 | 06:39 PM
Thanks for the support yall, I knew there was people out there.

Old 02-08-2010 | 06:45 PM
Thanks for the support yall, I knew there was people out there.
No problem........ lol.

Quick Reply: 2.25 duals or 2.5