spectra cai

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they dont seem to filter to well to me i had alot of valve problems when running them..but like i said that was on a 4wheeler an thats what turned me away from them..an i do believe its reusuable an i didnt oil mine i was out when i put it on an it was 3 in the mornin so i couldnt get any an really dotn kno if it has to be i dont recall reading it anywhere in the instructions or anywhere

Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hopefully it is one that doesnt need oiled. if it is, it will come pre-oiled. you only have to oil it after you wash it. with K&N filters the stickiness of the oil is the thing that traps the dirt mostly. but not having to oil my filter would be nice. take 2 hours to wash and airdry with a dry filter or 5-7hrs washing, then drying, then oiling, then waiting to see if i got all the surface of the filter oiled, then oil some more, let it sit.......point being, it really does suck. cant do anything or go anywhere for a day.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
hopefully it is one that doesnt need oiled. if it is, it will come pre-oiled. you only have to oil it after you wash it. with K&N filters the stickiness of the oil is the thing that traps the dirt mostly. but not having to oil my filter would be nice. take 2 hours to wash and airdry with a dry filter or 5-7hrs washing, then drying, then oiling, then waiting to see if i got all the surface of the filter oiled, then oil some more, let it sit.......point being, it really does suck. cant do anything or go anywhere for a day.
I never take that long with the K&N. I wash the filter, shake it out, let it sit while I do some other maintenance on my truck, 30 min to an hour later, I spray it lightly with the oil, similar to the first coat with a can of spray paint. I install it and it usually sits a few hours before I go anywhere. Never had a problem in 97,000 miles. I am happy with it.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Timmy sir!

What some folks do is have two filters - one in use, and one cleaned, dried, reoiled and waiting in a protected area, ready to go. NO downtime

I cannot stress enough that overoiling WILL pecker yer MAF eventually. I would clean that MAF sucker religiously - CRC MAF cleaner is great. Do not touch the active components.

On oiling - you only need apply ONE coat - a thin, even one - the oil migrates all on it's own.

As for the Spectre - it does not sound promising - if no cleaning / reoiling instructions are included. Do not assume anything here. Oiling a non-oilable filter is just as bad as not oiling an oilable one. Any Quality kit would unambiguously detail such procedures, simply because they are crucial steps! 'Nuff said on that score ...

At least try to contact them & find out fer sure ...

Good luck!

MGD v4.1

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-27-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM
well it wasnt oiled so i guess it doesnt need to be

Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by pumpman21
well it wasnt oiled so i guess it doesnt need to be
Huh.

Wellsir, I guess the cleaner & re-oil kit Spectre sells for their filters must be purty useless.

--> http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A4455A0A0.aspx

So - how long have you been running it dry?

It's yer truck aight, but, sir... I beg y'all - do yerself & yer engine a favour - oil that filter.

"Guessing" about stuff like this is not the best approach.

I know yer gonna get all pissy-like regardless of any entreaties on my part that I'm just tryin' to help you. Timothy will understand, though (I hope, lol).

Good luck I mean that. Get this fixed.

MGD v4.1

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-28-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: play nice, lol
Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Get this fixed.

x2

Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Timmy sir!

What some folks do is have two filters - one in use, and one cleaned, dried, reoiled and waiting in a protected area, ready to go. NO downtime

I cannot stress enough that overoiling WILL pecker yer MAF eventually. I would clean that MAF sucker religiously - CRC MAF cleaner is great. Do not touch the active components.

On oiling - you only need apply ONE coat - a thin, even one - the oil migrates all on it's own.

As for the Spectre - it does not sound promising - if no cleaning / reoiling instructions are included. Do not assume anything here. Oiling a non-oilable filter is just as bad as not oiling an oilable one. Any Quality kit would unambiguously detail such procedures, simply because they are crucial steps! 'Nuff said on that score ...

At least try to contact them & find out fer sure ...

Good luck!

MGD v4.1
yeah i thought about getting a 2nd one. thanks for the advice. the instructions say to spray it evenly and let it sit for like 20 minutes, which i do. and it says to look for any spots that are white still which i always have a few so i spray the white spots again. and always from the inside of the cone like it says too. and on the spectre subject, it HAS to be oiled. why would they sell it not oiled with no intructions to oil it...i got K&N because i was able to get it from autozone. still have the one that came with my cold air intake but i need a new one. somehow i got a hole in the gauze and the screen is separated there. for now i just turned the filter away from my "helper tube" so hopefully the filter isnt sucking thru the back of the filter since a bunch of air is being fed to it. i know its not good for it but ive been driving with it like this since september.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When i got my spectre intake the filter was wrapped in plastic and said "pre oiled" so the filter is already oiled.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
my filter was in a box an i read everything that came with it an it said nothing about being oiled so i thought it was a dry filter..maybe im just a dumbass.(not being a smartass)..who makes a good foam filter

Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
i would just like to know if anyone knows who makes the washable dry filters. i dont mine the oiled ones but they are a pain to me. supposedly there is a shop around here who takes dirty K&Ns and gives new ones for like $10. he washes and oils them and trades them back out. i wull probably end up just getting a 2nd K&N and probably a 3rd since mine has a hole in it.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
i would just like to know if anyone knows who makes the washable dry filters. i dont mine the oiled ones but they are a pain to me. supposedly there is a shop around here who takes dirty K&Ns and gives new ones for like $10. he washes and oils them and trades them back out. i wull probably end up just getting a 2nd K&N and probably a 3rd since mine has a hole in it.
Hello Timothy!

Originally Posted by Dr. Shotgunz

...we figure you're either

a) Lazy and/or have not yet discovered GOOGLE
b) too stupid to find *** website, contact *** customer support, and/or RTFM.

Since you own a FORD truck, we kindly assumed that you were "a",
and had a little at your expense.

Seriously now .... y'all take looky here .. these guys also make replacement dry filters in many sizes ...

Volant - http://www.volant.com/
AEM - http://www.aemintakes.com/
S&B - http://www.sbfilters.com/

MGD v4.1

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-03-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Hello Timothy!

Seriously now .... y'all take looky here .. these guys also make replacement dry filters in many sizes ...

Volant - http://www.volant.com/
AEM - http://www.aemintakes.com/
S&B - http://www.sbfilters.com/

MGD v4.1
lol thanks actually i would have never thought of those companies at all. just would have never popped in my head. other than that, it seems lately every time i use a search engine for a question, i got absolutely nothing in the results that helps. and i never even heard of S&B...

Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I like my amsoil (oil-free filters)

Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I like my amsoil (oil-free filters)
i am guessing they are also high flow?...
i just gotta find out what mine's measurments are so i can get one from another company if they are cheaper. otherwise, might stick with K&N. but dont really want to. so far i might go AEM or volant. ill have to check out amsoil. funny how it has oil in the name but not in the filter

Quick Reply: spectra cai