MBRP SIDO Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like how the new '09-'10 sound from the factory.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I want to hear one with Lt's and hi flows and a borla muffler

Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Dude... you read my mind!!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
It will hum slightly more inside, but I think your original MBRP muffler will due fine for you since you were satisfied before. I'm sure the drone point wasn't all too bad. Swap mufflers and call it a day, and try posting a video of it
Well, I had a chance to put about 500-600 miles on the system since I made the change to the "more subdued" muffler, and I don't know what has happened, but it sounds good. It certainly doesn't sound like the original muffler that came with the kit, which I found to be abnormally loud compared to my past MBRP experiences, but it is still distinctively MBRP. I still like both mufflers, but prefer the sound of the orignal kit muffler, which definitely IMHO runs the Roush Off Road for it's money. If I did not drive this truck with the DW and the Boss, and have some long ride vacations possibly pulling my trailer, I'd have kept the original louder muffler in place.

The main reason was the drone I experienced did become annoying at times and some times to the point of giving me a headache because it had a loud hum. The original had quite a bit of hum at 62mph interstate speeds, and much more at 55mph. At 72mph, it leveled off, but still was a bit annoying on a 3-1/2 hour ride. Yesterday I had a chance to run the new muffler for about 3-1/2 hours and get it warmed up on the interstate. I think it sounds 2X better at interstate speeds, and there is almost no drone. That synchronous sound you get when both pipes rumble together is fantastic. This system does it well. Plenty of go pedal, rumble, and sound at a punch flying down the interstate at, well... moving. It rumbles nicely.

Main difference, again, for those considering MBRP... the initial muffler that came with the kit is much louder at any speed, rumbles substantailly lower, and sounds phenomenal at all rpm ranges. This new muffler loses its rumbly sound at higher rpms when you floor it. I don't typically drive like a NASCAR driver, so the loss of the exhaust note at 5500 rpms is no big loss for me.

I'll try to post a couple videos this weekend. I have a warm start with this new muffler, but it's not the best. Still having a hard time getting it to post.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Well, I had a chance to put about 500-600 miles on the system since I made the change to the "more subdued" muffler, and I don't know what has happened, but it sounds good. It certainly doesn't sound like the original muffler that came with the kit, which I found to be abnormally loud compared to my past MBRP experiences, but it is still distinctively MBRP. I still like both mufflers, but prefer the sound of the orignal kit muffler, which definitely IMHO runs the Roush Off Road for it's money. If I did not drive this truck with the DW and the Boss, and have some long ride vacations possibly pulling my trailer, I'd have kept the original louder muffler in place.

The main reason was the drone I experienced did become annoying at times and some times to the point of giving me a headache because it had a loud hum. The original had quite a bit of hum at 62mph interstate speeds, and much more at 55mph. At 72mph, it leveled off, but still was a bit annoying on a 3-1/2 hour ride. Yesterday I had a chance to run the new muffler for about 3-1/2 hours and get it warmed up on the interstate. I think it sounds 2X better at interstate speeds, and there is almost no drone. That synchronous sound you get when both pipes rumble together is fantastic. This system does it well. Plenty of go pedal, rumble, and sound at a punch flying down the interstate at, well... moving. It rumbles nicely.

Main difference, again, for those considering MBRP... the initial muffler that came with the kit is much louder at any speed, rumbles substantailly lower, and sounds phenomenal at all rpm ranges. This new muffler loses its rumbly sound at higher rpms when you floor it. I don't typically drive like a NASCAR driver, so the loss of the exhaust note at 5500 rpms is no big loss for me.

I'll try to post a couple videos this weekend. I have a warm start with this new muffler, but it's not the best. Still having a hard time getting it to post.
Good to hear. Congrats. Maybe you can sell the original kit muffler for a good profit. What software are you using for your video and what is the file size,and file type?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM

I checked your album, but didn't see any pictures of your exhaust. Which kit did you get, straight out the rear or out the corners? What was the kit number and where did you get it from?

Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I checked your album, but didn't see any pictures of your exhaust. Which kit did you get, straight out the rear or out the corners? What was the kit number and where did you get it from?
X2...I would like to see some pics of this set-up. I'm leaning pretty hard toward the MBRP split side exit exhaust for my 09 FX4, but I'm having a hard time finding any god pictures of this setup installed.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I installed the single inlet, dual outlet exhaust with the exits at a 45 degree behind the rear tires. I'll try to get some pictures tonight. They may be a bit "salty", but you'll get the idea.

Here, try these. Sorry they are so dirty.

Last edited by Smokewagun; 03-01-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Judging by that last photo with the soot on the tip, the 09+ cats do flow a heck of alot better than the 04 - 08s. I have never found an 04 - 08 model with soot build up on the tips, the cats are too strict and filter so much volume, its nice that they stay cleaner, but its also nice to know 09+ have better louder cats than the older models. Those tips are surprisingly smaller than I expected though.

Quick Reply: MBRP SIDO Update