rear cat delete vs high flows

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 00grn5.4
darren, how is it that someone can pass emissions with only 2 high flows, but not with just the two front cats?? is it the sniffer test that would cause a fail? or just visual or what? i live in an emissions county in texas but i know for a fact that 2 high flows will pass inspection. the only reason i'de get highflows would be for sound.. but if i can achieve that sound with just the front cats and pass i'de be very happy.

thanks
Exactly. Hi-flow cats contain a proper full catalyst that filters everything properly and burns clean. The 4 cat Ford systems divide the catalyst up into parts, in all 4 cats. Removing a pair will aid in a sniffer test failure because it will detect carbon and give a fail since our exhaust cannot produce too much carbon. The classic rear cat removal fails in this area. My truck smells catless starting.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fatherford
i know ill like the sound im running no muffler right now and its nice.
i have inspection in august, so i think if i just cut them out on my own, ill keep them and get them put back if i need too

Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
ok father ford didnt think of that and i love the sound i have right now but the high flows will sound the same or what or should i just put a bullet on for a muffler

Old 03-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
You are required by law to run a muffler, even in non emission testing zones. A turbo can substitute for a muffler.
ehh mufflers are over rated as long as one is not acting like a fool ie. driving on the side walk in 80's model 1 ton with a 488 and open headers then they SHOULD be left alone, that or be stopped only for the officer to ask how they got it to sound like that

Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by thomabro
ehh mufflers are over rated as long as one is not acting like a fool ie. driving on the side walk in 80's model 1 ton with a 488 and open headers then they SHOULD be left alone, that or be stopped only for the officer to ask how they got it to sound like that
I'm referring to inspections.

In my younger years I did my share of open headers/no mufflers in the Waco area.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
94006 hi-flows are these the pre cat version of a high flow or are they louder then the 94106 i want the loudest i can go with being legal in emissions with two cats

Quick Reply: rear cat delete vs high flows