I need to know tonite!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to know tonite!

So i was suppose to get all my cats cut off today all 4( got a 97 single cab 4.6)
but mechanic ran into a problem and im scheduled to come in tomorrow at 9am to get the cats removed and just have straight pipe there. I dont go through the emission here in fl and im pretty sure their clogged....but ive read that you guys say remove the bigger back 2 for better sound and if you remove the front 2 you lose torque, AND if you remove them all you will have nothing but problems with the truck.....so i kinda wanted to know what i should tell the guy tomorrow....cause he told me if any of them would be clogged it would be the first ones....does that sound right? am i gonna be ok with all 4 out or should i just go with 2? im running no muffler either by the way so if i could get some feedback for tomorrow morning thatd be awesome so i know which route to take

Old 03-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run no cats and get a custom tune... But you might want to throw on mufflers to quite it down some.

I'm currently running mandrel bent true dual straights with an H-pipe. I have the larger rear cats deleted, but still have the tiny front cats. I have no complaints and have had zero problems. I love the volume and rumble.

Running no cats and the stock manifolds is similar to LT's with highflows... You won't lose low end torque as long as the rest of the exhaust is suitable for high, free flow (mandrel bends, 2.25" pipe full length of the truck --- to the rear, x-pipe, etc).

Old 03-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll definitely need tuned to run no cats. Otherwise, it wont be all too bad, it will feel like it lost a little torque, but it wont bog out entirely.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cut them out and smile! No loss of torque after a custom tune.

Quick Reply: I need to know tonite!