Magnaflow rotting from inside ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow rotting from inside ?

Hey guys I still have not pulled the trigger on an exhaust for my truck ,still trying to find someone local with a truck I can listen to, like the sound of magnaflow and borla, just dont want to get something too loud.Most shops around here sell flowmaster ,and I dont like the sound of em ,But anyway a shop I called today said he had problems with magnaflow rotting from the inside , so whats up anybody know of any truth to this or just trying to get me to buy what he sells.The whole purpose of going with magnaflow ,besides the sound would be that they are stainless and thats important because here in Maryland they put the salt down real heavy so aluminized wont last.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Did you ask the guy what exactly he meant by "rotting"? Sounds a little biased to me...I would get another opinion. I put my magnaflow kit on last October and just went through a MN winter...no problems with my system so far.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Exactly what I was thinkin and why I posted it , and considering that its going to cost around $600 for a custom ss exhaust the,more input I get the better ,no doubt he wants to sell me his product , but Im not bitin.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds to me like a Flowmaster dealer who doesn't make as much money when he sells a MagnaFlow.......

Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Magnaflow does not rot from the inside. The packing around the preferated tube burns off and the tone increases volume a bit more but thats it. If that why was explaining rust water coming from an exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, it was to the fault of aluminized pipes. Flowmasters rot from the inside to out because they were making them out of aluminized for the longest time.

You sound like you want the 18" body Magnaflow. Trust me on that, its your winner.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM

...or Darren he may want a 14" Magnaflow!!! That's what I'm running and I was like you, not wanting anything too loud. Mine sounds really good and I actually want it a tad louder. I'm figuring when I do my Maggie Hi-flows and eventually Long Tube headers that it will be about right for ME. Everyone is different. Get what YOU like. But seriously consider mine and Darren's advice. A 18 or 14" Maggie sounds sweet!!--DirtySCREW

Old 03-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DirtySCREW
...or Darren he may want a 14" Magnaflow!!! That's what I'm running and I was like you, not wanting anything too loud. Mine sounds really good and I actually want it a tad louder. I'm figuring when I do my Maggie Hi-flows and eventually Long Tube headers that it will be about right for ME. Everyone is different. Get what YOU like. But seriously consider mine and Darren's advice. A 18 or 14" Maggie sounds sweet!!--DirtySCREW
Well remember to consider the fact that your 2003 has 4 catalytic converters which is 20% quieter than the 2008s which come with 2 shorter catalytic converters stock. So a 14" on yours would sound damn near exact to an 18" on his

Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Rotting from the inside huh? Right...
He just wants to sell what he has a higher mark up on.
And $600? What are you having done?
I have a bolt on stainless, mandrel bent Magnaflow catback on my Subaru Legacy GT. It has two mufflers (it's a dual exhaust) and it was $500 shipped.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Magnaflow does not rot from the inside. The packing around the preferated tube burns off and the tone increases volume a bit more but thats it. If that why was explaining rust water coming from an exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, it was to the fault of aluminized pipes. Flowmasters rot from the inside to out because they were making them out of aluminized for the longest time.

You sound like you want the 18" body Magnaflow. Trust me on that, its your winner.
Good evening to you, Exhaust Emperor!

Well spoken!

OP, sir - please listen to this fine young gentleman.

Perhaps it is yer exhaust dealer that is rotten on the inside

Just ask him to cut open one of those rotting Maggies. He should have one mounted in his shop already to show folks - kinda like a trophy fish, lol.

Take care and have a great weekend, y'all!

Cheers!

MGD v4.2

Old 03-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks much MGD. Your input is always much appreciated and enjoyed . Glad v4.2 is working well too

Old 03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a shop around here where I live. They used to sell Magnaflow. He told me that they quit carrying them because they rust out in a year or two. I don't know the truth as why they decided to not carry Magnaflow, but I didn't believe his story.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
You can buy a Magnaflow cat back ss si/so with 3" pipe and a 4" tip for $391.00 with shipping and install it youself. Go to www.hottexhaust.com and use the word veedub under coupon. I just bought this for my truck and I love. This isnt my truck but its the same system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=873dlPUEJvs

Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
There is a shop around here where I live. They used to sell Magnaflow. He told me that they quit carrying them because they rust out in a year or two. I don't know the truth as why they decided to not carry Magnaflow, but I didn't believe his story.
Stainless steel rotting and rusting that quick? Sounds fishy.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow rotting from inside ?