Open headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thaus68
Damn Avfrog no smart... comment on back pressure!! C'mon you gotta have something.
But I agree, he does need more back pressure...

Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
But I agree, he does need more back pressure...

I agree. When i get my high flows, and my o2's in, i guarantee it will run 10x better. It's running rich and feels like it has more in it that i'm not seeing yet. So between that and no backpressure i know it's gonna be a totally different truck still come friday! I'm going 2.25" pipes for sure tho.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by offroadn'98
I have the egr bung plugged up but Thanks for the heads up on the washer! And yeah if you wouldn't mind getting those pics for me, that'd be great! I haven't decided what i'm gonna do yet, i'm gonna take it one step at a time. lol I gotta atleast get the all the o2's in and the cats on. I really can't wait till i get it running right again and some exhaust!
Well I deleted my pics of the fix for my situation at the time damnit, so unable to post those. I should have them on a CD somewhere, -key word being "somewhere".

These may help a little, -hit the album link below for larger pics and a half *** description. ~

Album -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...s-exhaust.html

Good Luck with the rest of it.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-17-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Do you have the part number for the headers you used? I'm just curious if you used 5.4 headers or the 4.6 specific headers that pacesetter *finally* released. We need someone to be a guinea pig for the "4.6" headers!!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Well I deleted my pics of the fix for my situation at the time damnit, so unable to post those. I should have them on a CD somewhere, -key word being "somewhere".

These may help a little, -hit the album link below for larger pics and a half *** description. ~

Album -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...s-exhaust.html

Good Luck with the rest of it.

No it helps, thanks for all the help! I kno your a reliable source on the site!
Thanks again!
Tim

Old 03-21-2010, 02:35 AM
ok so the other day i went to get my exhaust done and they say they can't do an o2 bung unless they take the drivers side header back off. I was thinkin screw that ya kno! NO WAY is that coming back off! He also said it was an open race header and wasn't meant to have anything after the collectors. Long story short, he thinks it will cause me problems down the road, so he wants to put a set of shorties on and do exhaust for 1100-1200. I don't have access to the tools i need know and spring break is over, its back to workin a 30hrs and going to school everyday, i aint got time now or i could take care of it! A big thing is that left front o2 sensor, he said it will burn up my engine if i don't get one in there. Anyway after sleeping on it, shorties don't rly do much at all, if its gonna be up around 1000 bucks, im just gonna find a place who can custom tune it to run without cats or any o2's. Thats gotta be the cheapest alternative!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:39 AM

ok so the other day i went to get my exhaust done and they say they can't do an o2 bung unless they take the drivers side header back off. I was thinkin screw that ya kno! NO WAY is that coming back off! He also said it was an open race header and wasn't meant to have anything after the collectors. Long story short, he thinks it will cause me problems down the road, so he wants to put a set of shorties on and do exhaust for 1100-1200. I don't have access to the tools i need know and spring break is over, its back to workin a 30hrs and going to school everyday, i aint got time now or i could take care of it! A big thing is that left front o2 sensor, he said it will burn up my engine if i don't get one in there. Anyway after sleeping on it, shorties don't rly do much at all, if its gonna be up around 1000 bucks, im just gonna find a place who can custom tune it to run without cats or any o2's. Thats gotta be the cheapest alternative!
What are you or they talking about

The bung is already there ? Did your headers come without ?? That's a first.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
What are you or they talking about

The bung is already there ? Did your headers come without ?? That's a first.
Na man....thought we talked about this? Maybe not? That's the reason i only have one o2 in bc the damn front drive shaft is lined up directly with the bung on that side and there isn't enough room for the o2 to fit. I thought it was going to clear it, but we had the motor jacked up and when i lowered and went to put an o2 sensor in, the front drive shaft lines up directly with it and it's too close to fit the sensor in!!! These headers are frustrating as ****!!! remember i have the 4.6....And these headers don't exactly fit...

Old 03-21-2010, 05:30 AM

Na man....thought we talked about this? Maybe not? That's the reason i only have one o2 in bc the damn front drive shaft is lined up directly with the bung on that side and there isn't enough room for the o2 to fit. I thought it was going to clear it, but we had the motor jacked up and when i lowered and went to put an o2 sensor in, the front drive shaft lines up directly with it and it's too close to fit the sensor in!!! These headers are frustrating as ****!!! remember i have the 4.6....And these headers don't exactly fit...
Yea, you said the header hit the shaft, but not the O2 bung? From what I recall anyway. Can you plug the bung and just purchase a cat with a bung ? I've seen Magnaflow has some of those.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 AM

Man, I don't think I would recommend these headers to anyone anymore. Not unless you have access to a fabricating shop. What a PITA. It took me awhile to button things up on the two installs I did, but that was installing them on 5fours and they fit good.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 AM

The Drivers side before I welded solid, - I welded that right on the truck, - try that once lol. Anyway, drive shaft is no where in site, not even close.

Passenger side -

Old 03-21-2010, 06:28 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RayD
Do you have the part number for the headers you used? I'm just curious if you used 5.4 headers or the 4.6 specific headers that pacesetter *finally* released. We need someone to be a guinea pig for the "4.6" headers!!
you don't pay attention to the year the application is for do you????

Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Just curious as to what part number you ordered?? I was just about to order some LT's but I want to make sure and see if its the same one. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by five0merc
Just curious as to what part number you ordered?? I was just about to order some LT's but I want to make sure and see if its the same one. Thanks.
Back when I purchased them, they were the same. 99-03 4.6L 5.4L. I have a 98, but they worked since there's no difference between the PI and Non PI heads on the exhaust port side. - 4six or 5four. The only difference is the 5four has a taller block. About an inch/inch 1/2 or so taller from the mount to the ports. That puts the the passenger side closer to the frame rail, but they were fitting both engines in the beginning, - say 3 or 4 years ago.

Not sure what's going on now. Guys are having fitment issues with both 2wd/ 4wd 4.6L's.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-21-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by five0merc
OK man! Yoiur going to ahve the same problems im having exactly. 97 4x4 4.6 don't order the pacesetter 70-2227. here is the web site I bought them....
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...227.html?gan=1
I'm just warning you can get them in there but its gonna be a PITA! Your gonna have to massage(beat it with a hammer) the headers some....your gonna have to relocate the drivers side o2 bung and plug the original before you put them on. Passanger side is easier, but you gotta wrestle the header in there and you gotta trim a tad bit on the motor mount. I bought o2 sensor extensions bc it was cheaper there pretty cool but don't fit the front o2's but they do fit the back ones, so i used those up front. Jbrew told me the harnesses are the only differences i believe. I didn't time it but it took us atleast 17hrs....but we did run into several other with the egr tube breaking and bc it was so rusted on and the oil dipstick tube wouldn't come out so it broke had to take care of all that wasn't really a quick fix. After that, i honestly almost wish i had just put shorties on in the first place! I kno some ppl say you don't gain anything from shorties, but you do, it just a minimal amount of gain and no where near the gains from LT's. Custom exhaust is not gonn be cheap for it either. Shorties would also be very E-Z compared to these!
goodluck

PS: And i swear on that link i posted, the sub-model fitments listed at the bottom. It did have 1998 4.6 4x4 vin code W. Mine is the same vin W too. I swear they removed it!!!

Last edited by offroadn'98; 03-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Open headers