Open headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, you said the header hit the shaft, but not the O2 bung? From what I recall anyway. Can you plug the bung and just purchase a cat with a bung ? I've seen Magnaflow has some of those.
Maybe i didn't say anything about the bung being inaccessable, no big deal. I told the guy to put a bung on the adapter after the collecter, but he said that it was going to be to far back for the o2 sensor, I don't see why six inches would make a difference, but then again i aint ase certified either! lol You have any idea's why this wouldn't work? I already have highflow already... i htink the return period is over for me too. Thats whyy im saying that im just gonna find someone who can custom tune it to run with out egr, front o2 sensors, or cats and i'll prolly be listing those cats, o2 extensions in the classifieds if so.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Man, I don't think I would recommend these headers to anyone anymore. Not unless you have access to a fabricating shop. What a PITA. It took me awhile to button things up on the two installs I did, but that was installing them on 5fours and they fit good.
You ain't gotta worry bout that! lol

Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I took a pic ture of my drivers side header/driveshaft/bung...i'll psot it up later

Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
you don't pay attention to the year the application is for do you????
Meaning what exactly? Pacesetter lists an application for 97-99 4.6 4x4. That should fit his truck? Am I missing something?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM
for all that i have heard here, 4.6 4x4 seem to be the hardest to install. following by the 4.6 2wd. for me the 5.4 fit ok but was just a pain to get in but was fine after that. maybe pacesetter needs to go back to the drawing board on their 4.6 versions.

side question, the part number is the same for both engines (my year) but with the taller deck of the 5.4- did they fit to length and assume they would fit the 4.6 without problems?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
If you can tell, this is the drivers side where the bung is blocked by the front drive shaft...

Here is where the yoke hits the primary...

Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'll have to look at mine in that spot now lol. I'll measure it and/or take a few pics tonight. Post what I have later. This should tell something, - if I get a couple in the same locations.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, it's close to the shaft here as well, same headers most likley -

Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 AM
the only prob i had with mine was the frist bolt on the driver side. then again mine is 2WD and i dont think another 6" will hurt anything on the o2 bung being that far back.

i dont understand why yall have such a prob i know you got 4x4 but still i didnt have to jack the motor up or remove the starter or remove any A/C parts.

my buddy has a 97 expy with a 5.4 him n his dad put pacesetter longtubes on it in 3 hours. basic tools and no lift.

i know the 4x4 headers put the bung in a differnt spot. i have the 5.4 4x4 headers and my bung is more on the top. its angled up.

Yes Jbrew you told me what that EGR thing was but i could never find one. so i just blocked it off...well the TB elbow is blocked full of crap so i had no need to block it really. now im tuned for the EGR blocked off so its all good.

Also looking at the 2nd picture i know my driver side headers are almost touching the frame rail. OP i think you might have got sent the 2wd headers. im almost postive i got the same ones as Jbrew.

And yes open headers are fun!!!
View Video on FQuick

Old 03-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
the only prob i had with mine was the frist bolt on the driver side. then again mine is 2WD and i dont think another 6" will hurt anything on the o2 bung being that far back.

i dont understand why yall have such a prob i know you got 4x4 but still i didnt have to jack the motor up or remove the starter or remove any A/C parts.

my buddy has a 97 expy with a 5.4 him n his dad put pacesetter longtubes on it in 3 hours. basic tools and no lift.

i know the 4x4 headers put the bung in a differnt spot. i have the 5.4 4x4 headers and my bung is more on the top. its angled up.

Yes Jbrew you told me what that EGR thing was but i could never find one. so i just blocked it off...well the TB elbow is blocked full of crap so i had no need to block it really. now im tuned for the EGR blocked off so its all good.

Also looking at the 2nd picture i know my driver side headers are almost touching the frame rail. OP i think you might have got sent the 2wd headers. im almost postive i got the same ones as Jbrew.

And yes open headers are fun!!!
View Video on FQuick
The only reason we jacked up the motor was bc the 3rd primary back on the drivers side was a PITA. It was such a sharp bend in the pipe of the flange that you couldn't even get the bolt to slide into the flange hole. I took a hammer and beat the hell out of it. Then when we got the bolt to go in, there was no way to get the extensions in there to use the air ratchet, you had to reach around all the primaries and use a tiny little wrench, plus teh motor mount made it so much worse thats why we ended up jacking it up to get the motor mound out of the way, that one primary being like that took about 5hrs atleast and it was frustrating as ****! I was so pissed!!! Nothing else got removed tho starter or any ac parts, that wasn't gonna happen!

I mean there bolted up, there is stuff thats in the way. Ive come to the conclusion that 5four and 4six trucks gotta be laid out differently. Im thinking about finding a place to do a custom tune for me so i can run with out my egr, which ive already got the header plugged and the egr tube welded shut.

I'm almost positive i got sent the right headers, bc the they said 1997-2003 LT's 4wd, and the istructions in the box say the same except 99-03. Unless they put all the right stuff in but the wrong headers. But you could be right bc the only problem i got is that front drive shaft being in the way and trimmed a motor mount on passanger side but thats no big deal at all. Its too late now, those LT's are coming off over my dead body! lol

So now the question im wondering...does anyone know, if i find a place to custom tune it, can i get them to tune it where i don't need any o2's? If not, it aint gettin a tune, the bungs going after the collector and then im doing turn downs on the cats, no rear o2's, im just about fed up with it.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Yea, it's close to the shaft here as well, same headers most likley -

Thanks for the pics! You gotta ton more room than me still, Im pretty sure there the same ones. I'll let ya'll kno what i decide to do....maybe a good excuse to get a 5four, so my headers will fit.....

Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, got the collectors trimmed down some and used one of my highflows on the passanger side header. Had to buy another highflow for the other side, one that was a circle shape cause its a whole lot tighter on the driver side header lol That sucked tho! Plugged that o2 bung, made one on the cat. It's only about 2.5 inches back farther than the original bung tho, it shouldn't be a problem for now. Check engine is still on bc i don't have rear o2's, but im not worried about them and then the egr tube. but know when i turn the cel off with my programmer, it stays off a hell of a lot longer and the truck doesn't constantly smell like gas now. It's alot quieter but still loud. Just put turn downs on the other side of the cats. lol Just cats, doesn't sound too bad imo. I got about 1 foot of exhaust counting the cats! lol
It runs pretty good! 35's dont help tho! lol

Old 03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
nice man. yeah i had a bunch of codes after my LT's for no rear o2's and no EGR. it ran a ton better going from shorties to LT's but the Sniper custom tune i put on it made a night and day diff. in how the truck ran.

yeah that extra 2.5" isnt gonna hurt anything because think of how much farther you've already extended the o2 wire from the factory spot. that one guy you talked to doesnt sound to bright.

werid you had some many probs. the only one i had was that one primary was very very clsoe to the frame rail. other than that no probs at all. then again i dont got a drive shaft thrown into the mix either. but my o2 bung is at the same angle as Jbrew's if there was a shaft there i dont think itd hit it.

lets hear some vids

ha your exhuast set up sounds almost like mine. i had LT's no cats into 3" dynomax bullets no turn downs lol was LOUD!!! lol. and very short.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Ill get some exhaust vids asap! lol Here is the handy work!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
when there is a will there is a way! nice

Quick Reply: Open headers