cutting muffler out??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010 | 09:33 AM
|
cutting muffler out??

So im looking for an inexpensive way to get a little more sound with out hurting performance. I have a freakin 4 foot long muffler on my 02 Screw 5.4 and it is very quiet. Will cutting out the muffler and replacing it with a pipe hurt anything? I would leave the cats which i think is what gives the back pressure the engine needs...any thoughts????

Old 03-14-2010 | 09:44 AM
I wouldn't do it mufflers create your back pressure and help tune your vehichle, no back pressure ruin your valves. Alot of people and muffler shops do just put pipe in cause even with no muffler stock cats make your truck quieter than most people want. I wouldn't do it though.

Old 03-14-2010 | 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by thaus68
I wouldn't do it mufflers create your back pressure and help tune your vehichle, no back pressure ruin your valves. Alot of people and muffler shops do just put pipe in cause even with no muffler stock cats make your truck quieter than most people want. I wouldn't do it though.
Not true, I run dual cutouts right off my longtubes on my camaro and never had a problem. To the OP get a dynomax bullet, they are $40 and sound great, its what I have

Old 03-14-2010 | 12:33 PM
You can replace the stock muffler with a piece of pipe if you want to. It will NOT hurt anything. I suggest putting a 12" bullet in there though, as it will deepen the sound and tone it down a hair.

Disregard thaus68 reply, as it is false and it is apparent that he knows not what he is talking about. Sorry to be so blunt thaus68, but people come here for accurate information.

Old 03-14-2010 | 12:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Another vote for the 12" Bullet. Part #24215

Old 03-14-2010 | 01:07 PM
|
thanks for the input, I think I might do the bullet if it gives a better to because I dont want it too loud, just enough to let people know Its got some beef!

Old 03-14-2010 | 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
You can replace the stock muffler with a piece of pipe if you want to. It will NOT hurt anything. I suggest putting a 12" bullet in there though, as it will deepen the sound and tone it down a hair.

Disregard thaus68 reply, as it is false and it is apparent that he knows not what he is talking about. Sorry to be so blunt thaus68, but people come here for accurate information.
So your trying to tell me no back pressure on a stock motor is a goodthing? You know "whatever" everybody has there own opinion I would never just go without some sort of a muffler.

Old 03-14-2010 | 02:31 PM
Not sure about backpressure...but i have ran no muffler for 15,000 miles with no problems....most people around here run no muffler and gut the cats with no probs...its a very loud truck town...id say delete that muffler asap...and if the bullet makes it louder than do that too

Old 03-14-2010 | 02:35 PM
|
The thing is, I dont want a super loud pipe,,,just something with a some what I like to call "man noise". I looked at some magnaflow instead of the bullet but its more expensive....anyone tried them or know the difference in the too....is magnaflow more money because of the name??? If they give the same sound then I will buy the 40$ bullet.

Old 03-14-2010 | 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by thaus68
So your trying to tell me no back pressure on a stock motor is a goodthing? You know "whatever" everybody has there own opinion I would never just go without some sort of a muffler.
Do some research... you and your back pressure...

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

Last edited by avfrog; 03-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2010 | 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by CGpinoy
The thing is, I dont want a super loud pipe,,,just something with a some what I like to call "man noise". I looked at some magnaflow instead of the bullet but its more expensive....anyone tried them or know the difference in the too....is magnaflow more money because of the name??? If they give the same sound then I will buy the 40$ bullet.
Magnaflow has a different sound. They are also stainless steel where as the bullets are not. A magnapack ( 14"x4" round muffler ) from magnaflow would also be a great sounding way to go here. If you want it to be more subtle, then choose an oval muffler or go to a Borla Pro XS. But, these are a little higher in price. The bullet has had great success do to the fact that it is a straight threw muffler for max. exhaust velocity, it sounds great, and is really cheap!

Old 03-14-2010 | 04:41 PM
simple bullet swap with a 3.5" tip in the stock location or out the side before the rear tire will give you that man sound you want.

Old 03-14-2010 | 04:46 PM
My vote is for the Bullet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4YDpwjWUE
I can refer to this video for so many posts. lol

Last edited by DarkShadowSTX; 03-14-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2010 | 07:39 PM
|
Thanks for the bullet video guys! Thats the sound I want.....I noticed you said you have a 3" bullet but my exhaust is 2.5".....should I just stick with the 2.5?

Old 03-14-2010 | 08:05 PM
^ He has 3" pipe installed at the end of the y pipe to a 3" in and out bullet, and then a single exit. 3" bullet will sound better, and perform better in mid RPM range. A 2.5" mid pipe will maximize your low end, but mid to upper range will not be so hot.

I recommend running 3", but it's more money too...

Quick Reply: cutting muffler out??