Header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
z67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just received the headers, bolts, and Borla but no Y pipe. I guess they send them separate and I will get it today??
What is the story with trying to get these LT's up to the motor?

I tried to thread them up from the bottom between the frame and block but they are hitting the housing that the starter bolts into. I unbolted the heat shield and bent it up out of the way but still no go. Will I need to pull the bolt on the passenger side motor mount to get them in or what??????

On the drivers side I need to remove oil dip stick but was no successful last night. Hit it with some PB blaster and hope it will loosen up for today's attempt.

My thought was to put the headers in place with a couple of bolts so I can determine where to cut holes in the heat shields for the front o2's but it is not as easy as first thought.
Any help with those who have experience with these pacesetter LT's would be great.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
on my 2005 and I am sure others as well removed the passenger side bolt on the motor mount and jacked the engine up and inch or so, I also had to remove the starter. I didn't have to cut holes in the heat shields for the first set of O2 sensors but the second pair it had to be done, these were the magnaflow cats, again that was for my 05 4x2. My passenger side was a total pain in the butt.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
z67
Thanks batn68. Looks like that is what I will try. I hope to get them in and get some pics posted for others to learn from my mistakes, that I have not ran across yet.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ ha ha. Documenting is great for all! Keep up the good work!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:33 AM
z67
Looks like I need a new oil dip stick tube.
Pulled on that thing like I was 14 years old but only broke it off.

I placed a bolt in the hole to prevent anything from falling into the oil pan for now. I am not sure how to get that thing out. It broke off flush to the block so I may have to drop the pan and get it our the right way or leave it off and make sure I change the oil at 3,000. I have never had an issue with burning or loosing any oil quantity but I probably will now.
I did get the passenger side up to the motor after jacking the truck up a few more inches but dropped one of the bolts into the frame hole. I will get a mag tonight to fish it back out.
The instructions from pacesetter said to use a tube of that copper gasket stuff but others had told me to bolt them up dry with the gaskets.
Any suggestions here????

Lessons learned:
1. cut the oil dip stick off so it doesn't break off at the block. At least if you cut it off you will have some part of the tube to work with and try to get it out.
2. cover the holes in the frame or you will drop a bolt in them. They hold the bottoming out pad for the front suspension.
3. You don't need to remove the starter or heat shield on the passenger side to get the header in place, just jack the truck up high enough to move the header around.

I did call pacesetter about my Y pipe and they said it shipped separate and should be trailing the headers by one business day. They should be in today.

That is it for now, more tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I did not use any of the copper stuff, I stuck them on dry...I did use the oem type gaskets and not those that came with the kit.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 AM
z67
I finally got the dip stick tube out. After I had broken it off at the block I started to punch the sides in towards the middle and stopped when the tube started to slide into the block. I then screwed a drywall screw into the tube. This gave me a way to vice grip the screw and pull it out of the block. I have pics but not loaded yet. I will get them up soon.
I did run into another issue with the headers, the second main back on drivers side was bent down enough so the fastener would not fit into the hole. I had to grind the hole open from the back side just to get the screw into the hole. Other than that they slide right into place without issues. Just need to bolt them up and extend the o2 and I should be able to fire it up.
Any suggestions on the wires located on the passenger side? They are dangerously close to the header and there are about 50 different wires in there. They have a protective hi temp cloth cover but I don't think that will be enough.
By the way, $35 buck for the OEM exhaust gaskets and you need to buy 4. Two for each side. WTF???

Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 AM
z67

Above are the tools used to get the dipstick out.

Hole in side of block where the dipstick tube was.

Passenger side with the pile of wires I am not sure how to protect from burning.

Bolt will not fit into header without grinding the hole a bit.

Another pic of the hole. This is the second main on driver side, 2nd back from front of motor.

Quick Reply: Header install