LT's and tune? (yes I searched first)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT's and tune? (yes I searched first)

I'm starting to seriously think about getting some LT's. Pacesetters specifically. I have a 07 XLT 5.4 4x4. Everyone here says that in order to do this you need a custom tune. OK. But one day I was trolling Troyers website and I was looking at the Dynatech LT's and in the description it says no tune necessary. Since this was coming from Troyer it made me question the idea of a custom tune. Anyone have any idea if this is true or if its specific to Dynatech or what. I'm not to versed in exhaust, O2 meters and the such. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Why not just call Mike Troyer and ask him?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey there...speak of the devil. Yea the tune was the only thing that was keeping me from picking up your kit man. Getting LT's and then not being able to put them on right away cause i'd be waiting for a tune would drive me crazy!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

a lot of the stuff you find on this site especially pertaining to intakes and exhaust isn't true. Like NEEDING a tune for long tube headers. If the tuner says you don't need a tune you don't need a tune especially considering he SELLS tunes as well.

Another thing you wont get peak gains of 30rwhp and 35rwtq just from bolting on headers and a tune. Those gains were made much lower in the rpm range. The guy who gained that was built 54. At the time he had FULL bolt ons, along with raised compression and cams. It was also dyno tuned at the time.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
a lot of the stuff you find on this site especially pertaining to intakes and exhaust isn't true. Like NEEDING a tune for long tube headers. If the tuner says you don't need a tune you don't need a tune especially considering he SELLS tunes as well.

Another thing you wont get peak gains of 30rwhp and 35rwtq just from bolting on headers and a tune. Those gains were made much lower in the rpm range. The guy who gained that was built 54. At the time he had FULL bolt ons, along with raised compression and cams. It was also dyno tuned at the time.
At the moment i'm not really concerned about power gains, it's really for sound improvement right now. Of course the tune will follow as soon as PHP starts to settle out and get back on track. My biggest fear is the whole "you will run lean and blow your motor" thing.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Like Gotts says, you can run the headers w/o a tune and not damage anything. You'll want a tune to optimize things though.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mayor_of_Preece
Hey there...speak of the devil. Yea the tune was the only thing that was keeping me from picking up your kit man. Getting LT's and then not being able to put them on right away cause i'd be waiting for a tune would drive me crazy!
If it was the tune that was keeping you from buying them you should have just said so instead of telling me that the price was too high for you right now.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by tlt008
Like Gotts says, you can run the headers w/o a tune and not damage anything. You'll want a tune to optimize things though.
Well if that's truly the case...headers still up for sale, or did I take to long to make up my damn mind?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
If it was the tune that was keeping you from buying them you should have just said so instead of telling me that the price was too high for you right now.
It was too high. I was figuring in the cost of a programmer and a tune on top of the kit.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Not really sure if I'm selling them or not man. I've had them in the classifieds for a few days but today I'm in the mood to keep them.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Not really sure if I'm selling them or not man. I've had them in the classifieds for a few days but today I'm in the mood to keep them.
Cool, well let me know if ya change your mind. Sorry for being a pain, just wanted to be sure what I was doing before I dropped some decent cash.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM
No worries brotha... I completely understand and I'll let you know

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
just have to put my opinion also. i have pacesetters and trust me you DON'T need a tune to have them. but i would highly recommend a tune to really get the most out of it and enjoy them.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Yo man if your not looking for performance but more for sound why not just get some high flow cats.. less money, less pain to have installed.- Then if not enough consider getting them..

Im in the same boat.. Im wanting to add more sound to my exhaust right now so Im thinkin of adding some high flow magnaflows to it.. I was really thinking of longtubes but you still have the stock cats after installin LTs and your going to have to have your exhaust done after installing the LTs.. you will eventuallly want a better flowing cat vs the stock ones... You could also spend 50 bucks on a stainless steel cutout or spend a little more and get an electric one give you something cool to play with having loud aggression then switch it off to your mild regular setup exhaust setup

Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 AM
No tune required.

Tune will give more power with the headers.

Guys long tube headers are cheap now. A little over $500 shipped will get you either OBX stainless long tubes(that are chromed) or Ceramic Coated Mild Steal Pace Setters. Both kits will come with a Y-pipe. Do the install in your garage/driveway over the weekend. On Monday take your truck to a muffer shop and have him weld in some highflows, and better yet have him true dual the exhaust..

Quick Reply: LT's and tune? (yes I searched first)