whats best intake / exhaust combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010 | 09:39 AM
|
whats best intake / exhaust combo

I not looking for loud, I'm looking for getting stuff that will give a nice sound and help with fuel economy and add a little performance. I have an 08 crew cab, with 6.5ft bed, and I do alot of towing.

Old 03-29-2010 | 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by CarFanatic
I not looking for loud, I'm looking for getting stuff that will give a nice sound and help with fuel economy and add a little performance. I have an 08 crew cab, with 6.5ft bed, and I do alot of towing.
Hello.

There is no 'best' - it's largely a personal preference. Towing WILL exacerbate any noise & drone in any aftermarket systems you choose - unless you stay stock.

So - will you be able to tolerate drone? Everone defines or perceives this attribute diffrently - but you said you wanted it 'not loud'...

How much are you will to spend? The 'Best' exhaust that aides towing is a full-mandrel stainless x-piped 2.25", true dual with straight-though mufflers like Borla or Maggie and Dynatech SS long-tube headers with integrated hi-flow cats. This is a ~$2k system. You did ask

SO - Bottom Line:

Intake - stay stock or just do the Gotts Mod ($10) Avoid any aftermarket intake - especially Volant POS models.

Exhaust - just weld in a Maggie 14-22" 5x8 or larger ( larger/longer - quieter) in place of yer stock muffler - this nets you 80% of the benefit of any catback, and MUCH cheaper.

With money saved by doing the above - Invest in a custom tuner first with towing tunes - hi-octane tow tunes will be yer best bang/buck by far. SCT or Gryphon, VMP, Troyer or PHP.

MGD v5.0

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-29-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2010 | 10:07 AM
|
are you talking magnaflow? or is maggie an actual brand?

Old 03-29-2010 | 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Like he said, there is no "best"

I disagree with the other poster though, I got a AEM intake form a member here for a really good price.

despite the very low gain in HP, (and 04-05 are too lean) and that a custom tune is not going to gain much from a intake.
Its more than worth it for looks alone.

It really cleans the bay up, drone is not bad, but then again i kinda like it.

I am running a knock off flow master SI/DO with stock in and 2" out.
Its pretty much straight through and sounds really good.

if you can find a GOOD intake cheaply, buy it.
it really cleans up the bay.

IF you are not in danger of running lean.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...k/PICT0166.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...k/12080814.jpg

the vids should be on this page.

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn234/titanmike357/

Old 03-29-2010 | 10:48 AM
|
I cant see why and intake and catback wont help your milage.. I was thinking of doing a magnaflow cat back single outlet, and some kind of intake with a programer.

Old 03-29-2010 | 10:57 AM
I would do Gotts mod for your truck and do a magnaflow (maggie is just slang for magnaflow)... And you can cut out your last rear two cats and that will give you some mpgs. And definitely get a programmer... That will help a ton.

Old 03-29-2010 | 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by CarFanatic
I cant see why and intake and catback wont help your milage.. I was thinking of doing a magnaflow cat back single outlet, and some kind of intake with a programer.
They just don't - regardless whether or not you can 'see' it or not.

In fact - either one can actually hurt milege by upsetting the stock design of the truck. Example - a CAI that peckers the MAF TF WILL eff up yer mileage and perf. Likewise - an exhaust that is not optimally sized for yer powerband will reduce yer low-end torque - bye-bye mileage - towing or not.

Intake/exhast is not the answer - better luck with tuning first - as that can be optimized - and even then the gains will NOT be exceptional.

Some things about a 6,000 lb brick CANNOT be overcome - like, say ... Physics

If you are doing mods for pure MPG gains you WILL be disappointed.

You want to improve? Get a Scanguage II, set it to instant MPG's and practice all aspects of throttle control and driving smoothness, predictive braking, etc - I'll bet you can net more improvements that way - I know I do ....

No need to listen to or believe me - you seem already predisposed to a given perception .... nothin' I can do about that ...

Here's a good read: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...s-mileage.html

MGD v5.0

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:28 AM
All gains are simply by products of the engine being more efficient and how you drive plays the biggest part. MPG results are not gauranteed

Old 03-29-2010 | 02:13 PM
|
I'm not saying you are wrong, or right. I understand mpg biggest effect is how you drive. but by adding an intake and exhaust, wont that make the engine more efficient thus improving gas mileage?

What I'm gathering is that I should just get a programmer and that's it?

Performance gains are always a plus. anything to help with towing and mileage I an open to learn about.

Old 03-29-2010 | 09:41 PM
Hi flow rates on both ends FTW.

Old 03-30-2010 | 12:31 PM
Truck of the Month
MGD is right on the money. Take his advice serious, he is not an amature. The stock inside actually draw in COOL air, not warm engine bay air like your K&Ns, Spectres, your cardboard quality Volants, and AEM. Its best to keep an enclosed kit, which is exactly what stock is. Upgrade the restricted end of it ( inlet tube at the fender ) with a DWV intake mod and you'll be golden.

Old 05-19-2010 | 02:24 PM
After having visited my local exhaust shop about changing over to a dual exhaust system, "the owner of the business" talked me out of doing that but incouraged me to install a 3" single system. His claims were that it would give me better performance overall, ie: horsepower, torque, milage and sound all for about $500. I have gained a great deal with the addition of the K&N drop-in cold air filter and Edge Programmer.
What do you "Pros" think about his claims?

Old 05-19-2010 | 05:30 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by pdxsenior
After having visited my local exhaust shop about changing over to a dual exhaust system, "the owner of the business" talked me out of doing that but incouraged me to install a 3" single system. His claims were that it would give me better performance overall, ie: horsepower, torque, milage and sound all for about $500. I have gained a great deal with the addition of the K&N drop-in cold air filter and Edge Programmer.
What do you "Pros" think about his claims?
He just doesn't want to do all of the work it takes to bend a true dual system. Your low end would be about equal with a 3" to 2.5" X piped duals. Stock 2.5" exhaust is as good as it will get in the low end dept.

True duals will sound more aggressive, pop less on revs since it flows more freely, perform better at mid to high rpm since its free breathing, and the dual rumble sounds better than a single system imo. Check out my Exhaust Video in my signature.

Old 05-19-2010 | 10:44 PM
duals FTW with the exception of 08FX4

Old 05-20-2010 | 03:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet so it looks like I'm headed towards getting duals installed.

Quick Reply: whats best intake / exhaust combo