02 extensions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I would agree just by reading this. The more splices and additions to a wire, the more susceptible to damage and failure it would be. I'd by the new O2's for piece of mind.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, if you get 02 DTC's after disconnecting and reconnecting, DEFINITELY clean the pins and receptacle again, before troubleshooting other possibilities.

Sometimes the pin holder clips break inside the connectors as well, but that's not as common, its what you may think after getting DTC's pointing to a wire fault , -and after cleaning the connector. Nope, usually not the case. I've checked the circuit and went over the wire for chaffing evidence on a few occasions and found zip. Connectors can look clean, but still have foreign matter attached, - more so, inside the receptacle.
Anyway, I've cleaned them a second time with an alcohol solution or an electronics cleaner (the Radio Shack Sh..), blew them out w/compressed air (use line w/water separator if possible), reconnected and never seen the DTC again. Only with O2 harnesses IME, - line sensitive. You have two heaters,signal and a direct ground to the PCM.

If you do use extensions, you need to treat the weather pack connector against corrosion. Remove the cap at the rear of the connector, - its not glued, use a small screw driver and pry it off carefully. With the same screw driver, remove the silicon gasket, slide both up the wires, put a dab of dielectric grease inside the back of the connector. Reinstall silicon plug and plastic cap (if the connector has a cap, some don't). The grease will squeeze into the pin wire connect protecting from all moisture, mostly moisture that's bi-product from O2 heater wires.

NOTE: Purchasing new O2 sensors. I didn't mention this before. When purchasing and depending on length desired, you may have to purchase sensors that are part numbered for downstream replacement. That's fine, - sensors are the same up and downstream. Duty change is @ the vehicle side of the harness. Different part numbers signify harness length, upstream and downstream. Not the sensor itself.

Thought that might be important, if you go with new.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
You're such a jerk!

Like I said I was just trying to gather information. Thanks for your help!

I know, and no problem man.

Quick Reply: 02 extensions