Final questions for exhaust buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010 | 06:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Sounds a little high to me. I paid $350 for stainless from the cats back x'ed and true dual all the way back with mandrel bends. You should call around and find an independent that won't try to screw you. Since he can't do the install till the 27th, that will buy you some time. Good luck!
That was an independent guy =(
Looks like I got some calls to make

Old 05-20-2010 | 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by zachusaf
That was an independent guy =(
Looks like I got some calls to make
Ooooops! lol, sorry I thought you said Midas before. Make a few calls around to compare and hopefully you can save yourself a few bucks.

Old 05-21-2010 | 08:25 PM
|
Well, The good news is that the Magnaflow 12198 came in today. The bad news is that I called around my local area to the custom exhaust shops and $430 for mandrel-bend stainless is about as good of a price as I'm going to get. I wonder if it's worth it to call a big box i.e Midas or someone else.

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:22 AM
Truck of the Month
i would pay the 430 for stainless since i ordered a magnapack a y pipe and 2 4 x18s and im goin from stock to 3" all the way till the y

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Depending on how much salt your truck sees in winter, and if you hand clean your exhaust seasonally, you can get away with aluminized until you trade in years later, but if you make a lot of short trips to the store and back, and idle a lot, stainless would be better because the condensation effect rots pipes out from inside to out, only really occurs in the intermediate pipes and before the tailpipes.

Old 05-27-2010 | 08:38 PM
|
Well today was the day...Louder than I expected. Difference from stock is night and day. Went full 3 in. to the muffler.

Old 05-28-2010 | 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by zachusaf
Well today was the day...Louder than I expected. Difference from stock is night and day. Went full 3 in. to the muffler.

Looks great! But I can't tell if you are happy with it or not! Is it too loud?

Old 05-28-2010 | 08:49 AM
|
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Looks great! But I can't tell if you are happy with it or not! Is it too loud?

I love the sound when idle and WOT, though there is a bit of drone in the cab on the highway.I have only driven it once since I got the work done, so I'm going to take a bit of time with it before I make a final judgment. Jury is out till this evening though. Wife took the truck to work this morning, so I'm waiting to see what she has to say about the sound level.

Old 05-28-2010 | 09:25 AM
When I first did mine I was the same way, kinda worried about in-cab noise/drone. Now I love it and am contemplating further exhaust mods! Give it some time, I think you will really enjoy, especially the unique sound of that 3 inch mid pipe. Oh, and don't forget, there will be some additional "breaking in" that occurs sometime up to 6k miles! It's all good!

Quick Reply: Final questions for exhaust buy