Header Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010 | 12:42 AM
|
Header Install Tips

Hi, I am fairly sure I will be buying the OBX kit soon, and have a few questions on the install. First off, which header bolts should I go with, and should I get different gaskets or use the ones that come with them? Also I will be doing the Gotts O2 mod, and would like to extend my wiring before hand, so if someone could tell me how much to extend it by, and on which of the sensors does it need to be done? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jaret

Old 05-22-2010 | 04:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

reuse the factory ones before you use the obx crap ones. I have reused them on a few different applications with out problems as of yet. You are extending the upstream o2 sensors which are the ones closest to the engine itself. I extended the ones on my buddies 05 I forget how much exactly. Measure it out after you get the headers installed to see exactly how much you want/need. The drivers side isn't that bad, the passenger side is a complete *****. don't be surprised if you have to unbolt the passenger side motor mount and jack the engine up to get enough clearance to fit it in there. If you remove the starter have fun trying to get the top bolt back in.

Good luck

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:48 PM
^ That really sucks on a fox body!

Old 05-22-2010 | 08:53 PM
Global Moderator &
yup 04+ you have to remove the trans dipstick tube, and lift the motor up a little to get the header inplace

Old 05-25-2010 | 07:42 AM
|
Hi, so I should just get some new factory gaskets? I should have mentioned the reason I am doing headers is that I have an exhaust leak on the passenger manifold gasket and I figure if I am going to all the work to change it I am not putting the stock manifold back on. What about new studs and locking bolts? thanks.

Jaret

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:19 AM
Global Moderator &
gaskets will run you 120 bucks but they are well worth it. they are the best you can buy

I always recommend new hardware with headers b.c the factory studs are weak

Old 05-29-2010 | 12:06 PM
|
Hi, so I have found some Fel-pro gaskets in town, but I am really having trouble finding locking studs, and even on Summit website its not that clear which ones I need. Does anyone have a part # or advice on which ones to go with? thanks.

Jaret

Old 05-29-2010 | 08:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

look for 3v mustang gt ones (05-08)

Quick Reply: Header Install Tips