Cheapest way to get a decent exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010 | 02:48 PM
will do thanks

Old 07-03-2010 | 05:08 AM
Cheap, Easy, and can either sound loud and obnoxious (if you want that) or just sound good (if you want that).

Get a Glasspack and just dump it......just make sure the down pipe ends after the bed of your truck starts.

I would recommend just getting a locally made Glasspack b/c:

A. Cherry Bomb, Borla, etc. are made to sound obnoxious and as loud as possible

B. A Glasspack is a glasspack.....there is no difference on the inside except for VERY slight ones.

The only thing Cherry Bomb and Borla and others do is break there's in first so they sound crazy loud from the first moment.

If you get a local made Glasspack that is 18" or longer and make sure the down pipe is past the bed of your truck you shouldn't hear anything while idling or even going slowly(no annoying drone or raspy whine) and when you want it to sound loud it can and does, but won't be raspy as long as you don't drive like a retard.

Total cost for Glasspack, Down Pipe, Labor = $60 at my local Muffler shop, but won't be more than $100 anywhere I wouldn't think.

If you think I'm lying about how great a generic Glasspack sounds I'll upload a video of a cold start (hardly any sound), idling (hardly any sound), and high RPM (sounds amazing, deep; not raspy or obnoxious to YOU or other drivers)

If you can afford it I would go 3" all the way through with a Magnaflow Muffler, but that is going to cost. I don't think anything sounds better than that though. Notice I said better not louder.

Louder isn't always better. A raspy, obnoxious fart pipe makes you look like an ***. A deep, soft at idle and low RPM setup that makes noise when it's supposed to makes you look like you have put time, money and thought into your ride.

Do us all a favor and don't cut the damn muffler like an idiot.

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:02 PM
^ It is obvious that you have no idea what your talking about...

Old 07-03-2010 | 05:56 PM
^ LOL! What I was thinking too

Thats kinda contradicting yourself because glass packs sound like crap. Exp when they're dumped.

On a second note. If you wanna look and sound like a 17 year old kid in his beat up 1976 Chevy scotsdale then by all means go with a glasspack. Especially one from the local parts store no name ones

Old 07-04-2010 | 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by AllSewnUp
A. Cherry Bomb, Borla, etc. are made to sound obnoxious and as loud as possible

B. A Glasspack is a glasspack.....there is no difference on the inside except for VERY slight ones.
These are the two stupid comments of the month.

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:38 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread but wanted to post this for those who want a comparison of stock vs the bullet....Here is my thread on the end result. Before/After.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...t-muffler.html

Old 07-17-2010 | 12:56 AM
Instead of starting another thread I thought I might ask this question here. How much could I expect to pay for labor to swap out my stock muffler for a 14" oval Magnaflow and to put on a new tip as well? I already have the muffler and tip. I stopped at the only shop we have locally and they quoted me $60. Deal or not?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2010 | 08:48 AM
I paid $40.00 just for the labor so $60.00 is not bad.. Ask them if they can do if for $50.00...

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:34 AM
I just installed the Dynomax bullet on my truck. Welded it in myself. No labor costs and I got 59 bucks into EVERYTHING for it

Gotta get a tip for it now but I havent decided which weld on tip to go with or if im going to cut my tail pipe off and run it out the side in front of the tire.

Old 07-17-2010 | 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by PZX_2002
I paid $40.00 just for the labor so $60.00 is not bad.. Ask them if they can do if for $50.00...
Ok...I may just go ahead and have them do it then. Midas wanted $120!! I casually declined an appointment. LOL!

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:43 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Drick
I just installed the Dynomax bullet on my truck. Welded it in myself. No labor costs and I got 59 bucks into EVERYTHING for it

Gotta get a tip for it now but I havent decided which weld on tip to go with or if im going to cut my tail pipe off and run it out the side in front of the tire.
whooo hooo way to go on saving some cash........

Hey Sean, I am all about saving as much ca$h as I can so ask around by calling them small muffler shops. Big name shops will inflate their price as you have already found out...

Old 07-18-2010 | 10:18 AM
i don't know much about truck exhausts but i had a 95 5.0 mustang and put longtubes, xpipe, and some hooker mufflers dumped and it sounded amazing. with trucks, every redneck in tennessee, mainly the chevy guys all have flowmasters and sounds like ****/pops like no other. Currently on my truck i still have the stock headers, 4 cats and no mufflers/tips. the exhaust is just cut off at the middle of my truck and i'm wanting to put something else on it when i get home from iraq next month but not sure what. just curious if anyone has ran hooker mufflers on their truck because on my mustang there was no popping, just a nice, deep throaty sound. i have a shop here who does my exhaust work for cheap too, but still don't want to spend a lot on it. and i plan on 'dumping' the exhaust too.

Old 07-18-2010 | 03:45 PM
^^^ Dynomax bullet dumped over, not before the axle. FYI you should start a new thread with questions like that.

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:33 PM
i'll remember that next time. thanks. but why not dumped before the axle

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:28 PM
I dont know why but im guessing hes talking about the drone that it will cause. Wouldnt be bad IMO but its all up to you since its your truck

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to get a decent exhaust!