Old 07-13-2010 | 10:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by MGDfan
WHERE have you been!

Old 07-13-2010 | 10:49 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Vicious150
My SI/SO Flowmaster sounds good too. In fact, I think it sounds really, really, good - the tone is perfect, exactly what I wanted.

OP, don't worry about what other people think of YOUR exhaust, as long as you are satisfied. You know how "some people" on this site can be with their opinions. Bottom line is we have choices and people buy whatever floats their boat. I never did understand why the bashing on here exist or how people seem to be offended in a sense by what other people put on their trucks...they sound like a bunch of women IMO.
WTF!?! LOL

As long as your happy with what you got, that's all that matters!

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:59 PM
Truck of the Month

Originally Posted by MGDfan

Old 07-14-2010 | 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vicious150
My SI/SO Flowmaster sounds good too. In fact, I think it sounds really, really, good - the tone is perfect, exactly what I wanted.

OP, don't worry about what other people think of YOUR exhaust, as long as you are satisfied. You know how "some people" on this site can be with their opinions. Bottom line is we have choices and people buy whatever floats their boat. I never did understand why the bashing on here exist or how people seem to be offended in a sense by what other people put on their trucks...they sound like a bunch of women IMO.
Well said, I used to have the original 40 series Flowmasters on my mustang and thought the sound was nice..although I don't have experience with other mufflers. I am surprised how "some people" think that their opinion is so important, and everyone has to like the same thing they do. The amount of horsepower from one muffler to the other isn't enough to make any real difference. Seriously, get a life. Get several lives and give them out to your friends if they need one..there are many mufflers with many different sounds, it's just a matter of preference.

P.S.
I'm not agreeing with the "sound like a bunch of women" part, nice truck by the way fordtruckgirl.

Last edited by chiaronate; 07-14-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2010 | 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
I won't go as far as stating 'fact', but I'll go on record and say (again, as I've posted this before) that in my own case, I've noticed a difference in just replacing mufflers....

Way back when I first got my truck (2001) I got a Gibson 3" cat back exhaust system. It was still quiet, but still better then stock.. That was until it started to 'rattle' about a year later... It being a baffled muffler, one of the welds inside broke, so it rattled.. I took it to a local muffler shop and the guy suggested a "FLO-PRO"... He also sold "Flowmasters", but when I told him what the sound I was looking for and that I still wanted some low end torque, he suggested the 'Pro'... He simply replaced the muffler and I kept the Gibson 3" mandrel bent tail pipe.

It's about 12" shorter then the Gibson 'garbage can' muffer, so he had to add some pipe and it's basically a straight thru design on the muffler. (my muffler has a center inlet)

It had the sound I wanted and I could tell a difference right away in the low end. When I pulled my travel trailer for the first time after getting the 'pro' the truck didn't downshift as much and it could hold 3rd gear on the same hills that would downshift into second with the Gibson.... Driving around I could tell a difference too, because it didn't downshift as much going up hills and would even hold OD on the same hills that caused it to downshift and just seemed to have better throttle response off the line and the sound was a much better 'rumble' that I like. Even the wife said it was not a 'bad' sound... From the outside, it sounds really good (to me) when the truck is going away from you and at idle, it's just a nice mello rumble..

I've still got the same muffler after 7 years or so... The entire system ain't pretty by any means from the outside, but it's not rotted or has any holes in it either....

Mitch
I drove a 2003 f150 just to see what the increased horsepower and better suspension was like, and it was pretty nice..had a decent exhaust note too. I like the quiet muffler that is stock on my 2002, but it would be nice to have less downshifting from overdrive going up hills..would any straight-through muffler decrease this? Anyone know?

Old 07-15-2010 | 07:43 AM
Talking FLOWMASTER, YOU (are full of) ROCK !

Exclusive interior cutaway view provided by Bubba, Chief Engineer at Fartmaster Research

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
Though it's not an absolute must, yes, we do recommend getting rid of the "Slowmaster" muffler and replacing it with an appropriate Magnaflow unit - that will help to improve torque.

What that Flowmaster setup is doing is actually *reducing* torque on part throttle at any rpm, and reducing torque below about 3000 rpm a at any throttle position - and that is due to all those silly baffles & chambers they use as part of their "sound engineering" - all they are is impediments to airflow, and slow down exhaust gas velocity, which is why you don't see much in the way of HP gains form them, and actually lose torque, especially in the lower rpm ranges. When it comes to torque, exhaust gas *velocity* is absolutely key.

Explains that unique sound, imho.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 07-17-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2010 | 10:16 PM
Truck of the Month
i bet the ratings on this thread are a smashing hit

Old 07-17-2010 | 01:39 PM
I love these threads, entertaining and educational too!

Old 07-17-2010 | 05:09 PM
Thread closed.

Old 07-17-2010 | 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by migdaddy
Thread closed.
Delusions of grandeur?

You run a POS K&N - no one with a brain is gonna pay you any mind

Here - I'll invoke my Mod-for-a Day powers ...

MGD

Old 07-17-2010 | 08:39 PM
your a weird *** dude.

Last edited by migdaddy; 07-17-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: FLOW MASTER you ROCK