Installed new cold air intake today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 04:11 PM
|
Originally Posted by Fordahaulic
Did not like the warm air issue with most intakes also, this is why I went with S&B. It gets its air at the same place as stock, and also with a snorkel positioned out the front. No Warm air here....plus looks much better and takes up less room than the stock behemoth.

That's a good looking intake, looks expensive though..I bought a Stack Racing intake for $149 at AmericanTrucks.com, powder coated black.

Old 07-21-2010 | 04:14 PM
|
Originally Posted by Titan357
Well, at least I like the way mine sounds?
They do sound good, and make the exhaust louder too..pretty neat. I do believe I got a bit of a performance increase too. I'll let yous know about the gas mileage in about a week, I topped off the tank last night.

Old 07-21-2010 | 04:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Like this........

Old 07-21-2010 | 04:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by 88racing
Like this........
Yes exactly, right down to the lack of instructions..I couldn't even find instructions online. It still wasn't hard to figure out, just would have gone easier.

Old 07-21-2010 | 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by chiaronate
That's a good looking intake, looks expensive though..I bought a Stack Racing intake for $149 at AmericanTrucks.com, powder coated black.
Not as bad as the Volant set-up, but i was looking at systems that keep the IAT down.

Old 07-22-2010 | 12:34 AM
|
It's not the topic of this thread, but I was wondering if a custom tune makes a big difference with just intake and exhaust modifications?

Old 07-22-2010 | 12:38 AM
yes

Old 07-22-2010 | 12:40 AM
|
Is there a "generic" custom tune that works pretty much with any cold air intake and freer-flowing exhaust, and if so, which company makes it?

Old 07-22-2010 | 02:12 AM
Is there a "generic" custom tune that works pretty much with any cold air intake and freer-flowing exhaust, and if so, which company makes it?
Those are "canned" tunes, they're not custom.

Get custom tunes for your particular truck, for your particular performance mods, for the best results. Troyer, PHP, VMP, etc.

Old 07-22-2010 | 02:23 AM
|
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
Those are "canned" tunes, they're not custom.

Get custom tunes for your particular truck, for your particular performance mods, for the best results. Troyer, PHP, VMP, etc.
Right, but I saw on one of these threads someone mentioned a K&N tune? Would that work with pretty much any cold air intake? I always thought custom tunes don't add much, if any, horsepower and torque with just cold air intake and exhaust mods, am I mistaken? I used to have a mustang and I used a Predator programmer, and was told a custom tune wouldn't help with just intake and exhaust mods.

Old 07-22-2010 | 02:50 AM
Global Moderator &
Custom tunes are by far the best bang for the buck

Old 07-22-2010 | 03:01 AM
|
I'll be getting a performance muffler put on next after I see if I get a gas mileage improvement from the cold air intake..I like to see benefits from one mod at a time. It looks like Gryphon is the popular tuner on here, followed by SCT and then Edge? Do any of them come with an intake and exhaust tune already installed, or should I just pick one of those programmers and have it custom tuned?

Old 07-22-2010 | 08:04 AM
Only the Gryphon (re-badged Edge) and SCT XCAL3 can be custom tuned.

Diablo has canned tunes that include many of the popular after market intakes.

Old 07-22-2010 | 02:00 PM
|
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Only the Gryphon (re-badged Edge) and SCT XCAL3 can be custom tuned.

Diablo has canned tunes that include many of the popular after market intakes.
Well that explains why I couldn't find Gryphon on Amazon or Ebay, Gryphon is Edge now..I suspected that because I saw it mentioned somewhere. I used to have a Diablo Predator tuner for my Mustang and that could be custom tuned, did Diablo discontinue custom tuning?

Old 07-22-2010 | 02:11 PM
Global Moderator &
Well that explains why I couldn't find Gryphon on Amazon or Ebay, Gryphon is Edge now..I suspected that because I saw it mentioned somewhere. I used to have a Diablo Predator tuner for my Mustang and that could be custom tuned, did Diablo discontinue custom tuning?
No, Gryphon is not Edge. Edge is a canned tuned software with a monitor display. PHP buys the Edge hardware and then custom tunes it, so it's the same hardware. Edge does not custom tune theirs so they can stay legal in CA. Two different companies, same hardware, different tunes.

Quick Reply: Installed new cold air intake today.