cackling from the xr1's, and no back pressure....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cackling from the xr1's, and no back pressure....

so the dynatech cats, xpipe and borla xr1 mufflers are on the mark lt. i knew it would be loud but it cackles like hell, doesnt sound healthy. at an idle, it sounds awesome but once you hit it, it cracks and cackles, even backfiring once in awhile. also, i have no top end boost and less power all together than i did with stock exhaust. ive heard people mention backpressure as the problem. Is that what it is? ive been told that getting some of the backpressure back will fix the sound and give me the power back. do i use resonators, augers, what do i do here? please help...

Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, forget about back pressure. Back pressure is bad. Back pressure does NOT give your motor more power. Exhaust gas velocity is what makes power by scavenging more gases out of the motor. I am assuming that you went with 2.5" duals not 2.25"? You will have higher velocity out of a dual 2.25" system. This is where your slight loss of low end went. You should how ever gain some in the mid-high rpm band. Will all this into consideration, 2.5" will sound better. As far as the crackle, you chose a pair of VERY aggressive mufflers. You are expected to hear some crack and pop, especially with hi flow cats or no cats. This is why I went with the Pro XS mufflers. I have no cats and wanted a smother and more mellow sound.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
An other thing is the length of pipe and the bends in it. How do you have it exiting?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
dumped right behind the rear axle, one on either side. ill throw a pic up.

Originally Posted by avfrog
An other thing is the length of pipe and the bends in it. How do you have it exiting?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
cant get a decent pic but the mufflers are right after the end of the cab and the pipes are 2.5 and dumped at 45 degree angles right inside the leaf springs, one on either side of the truck, just over top of the rear axle. would switching the dump change the sound and power issues?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 PM
and what about the power issue? the sound thing sucks but my biggest concern is the power. putting alot of hard earned cash into this truck for the purpose of power and since the exhaust went on i can barely tell im supercharged...

Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Maybe you need a custom tune? Just a thought?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:10 PM
i have heard that as well but will that bring the power back? obviously, roush's pcm work is very conservative and i would assume done for stock exhaust. would the tune bring back the power i lost by doing exhaust?

Originally Posted by bankrpt
Maybe you need a custom tune? Just a thought?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
You'll gain a lot more with a custom tune than the stock roush tune. I got my frpp hot rod cams installed July 9 and dyno tunes and my truck hauls @$$ and I'm running banks 3.5" exhaust and I'm actually about to change to true duals, x pipe, and xr1 mufflers, but after reading this I might reconsider a different muffler.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Dont consider a different muffler. Dumping changes the sound COMPLETELY!!!!! Exhaust is meant to be directed outside of the truck, not under. I would honestly recommend 3 options to reduce/eliminate the snap crackle pop.

#1 90 degrees underneath the rear bumper.
#2 45 degrees behind each rear tire
#3 (best sound, but most drone) Exit in FRONT of the rear tire, like Whiteroush3's. Check his videos out. If you think thats crackly, your high.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 PM
i love whiteroush3's sound! its actually where i got all my ideas, its the exact sound i want to replicate... i just didnt know that dump placement was related to sound

Originally Posted by migdaddy
Dont consider a different muffler. Dumping changes the sound COMPLETELY!!!!! Exhaust is meant to be directed outside of the truck, not under. I would honestly recommend 3 options to reduce/eliminate the snap crackle pop.

#3 (best sound, but most drone) Exit in FRONT of the rear tire, like Whiteroush3's. Check his videos out. If you think thats crackly, your high.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 PM
dumping in general changes sound. no question about it.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 PM
dumping in general changes sound. no question about it.
Exactly

Originally Posted by duckman1386
i love whiteroush3's sound! its actually where i got all my ideas, its the exact sound i want to replicate... i just didnt know that dump placement was related to sound
If that was the sound you were after, then that is what you should have done. The exit does make a huge difference, as does NOT using tips. With out tips, or just dumped with out tips, all that cash you spent for sound just went out the window. I didn't realize you were supercharged, but I strongly recommend a custom tune not only to get the most out of your exhaust, but to get the most out of your blower. And there is a lot left in that blower not being used by your tune.

Dumped over the axle with out tips is the worst sound too... I done that with my Flowmasters once. What a mistake. This is life, learn from those mistakes! ha ha

Last edited by avfrog; 08-01-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM
got an appointment with Mike Troyer Monday!!!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 AM

#2 was my choice, it snap crackle pops like the rice krispies box says...gets less noticeable after warming up but still more than I would like.

Quick Reply: cackling from the xr1's, and no back pressure....