Help K&N !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 04:43 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help K&N !!!!!!!!

hey guys, new to the forum

I just purchased a 05 Lariat SCrew 5.4 I wanted to change the air filter to a K&N (drop in). I bought the filter but when i went to change it the stupid factory filter says you have to replace with a filter with a felt liner because others might adhere to the box. The K&N just has the normal rubber lining, im worried about fit issues and it if will melt to the box. (I figured if this was true K&N would of fixed this.?)

Is this true? or just a motorcraft gimmick.

Anyone have used the k&n, any problems? Thanks guys

Old 08-03-2010 | 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's only one way to find out. Honestly you are better off with the stock filter in there anyway, more air = more dirt. Just my opinoin but its your truck, and is 8 horsepower at 5000 rpms really worth it?

Old 08-03-2010 | 05:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonFX4
There's only one way to find out. Honestly you are better off with the stock filter in there anyway, more air = more dirt. Just my opinoin but its your truck, and is 8 horsepower at 5000 rpms really worth it?
Maybe with the Gotts Mod, not with just a lousy filter. Maybe like 1 HP at 5000.

Old 08-03-2010 | 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Maybe with the Gotts Mod, not with just a lousy filter. Maybe like 1 HP at 5000.
That was a guestimate! K&N likes to throw out bigger numbers, like 14 or so. Its still a waste of money.

Old 08-03-2010 | 08:44 PM
Its not going to melt to your box. Go ahead and stick it in there and just clean it every couple of oil changes.

Old 08-03-2010 | 09:03 PM
You will never get 14 hp out of a filter. The good thing is, no more buying filters! Wash, oil lightly, and re-instal.

Old 08-04-2010 | 12:13 PM
Yeah then a few years down the road you get a MAF contaminated from over oiling thread.....

Old 08-04-2010 | 01:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Its not going to melt to your box. Go ahead and stick it in there and just clean it every couple of oil changes.
This is where most folks get it wrong and this IS what contributes to the fouled MAF's and extra dirt getting past the filter....

You WANT the filter to get dirty, as that's a major part of it's filtering efficiency. You really only need to clean the filter about every 50,000 miles or so.. REALLY!

Unless you go into a really, really dusty situation where dust is literally caked on the outside of the filter is when you would do a quick clean, which is brushing off the excess dust on the outside and giving it a light re-oil.

The other thing most folks do is over oil the thing when they clean it every 10,000 miles, and that's going to effect the MAF when you are giving it 5 times the oil it really needs.....

I've had my K&N drop in for as long as I've owned the truck (9 years now) and it's got almost 150,000 miles on the filter alone. I've only done a full cleaning of it 3 times so far! I've never had a MAF issue, I've never had dust past the filter (I've done my own 'white glove' test), and the truck itself has over 212,000 miles on it...

I can't comment on any claims of increased HP or MPG, but what I can tell you is that when I do a cleaning of the filter, I put the stock one back in for the day or so I'm cleaning the filter, letting it dry and letting the oil soak in a bit, I can tell a difference in how it drives..

Seems to have a bit less throttle response to it and a little less 'oomph' going up hills with the stock filter.. I have this one hill in my neighborhood and I can usually get up it without it downshifting into second.. Put that stock filter in and It'll downshift every time!

Anyway, I know I'll get flamed for this... I do every time I post this... Bottom line is you either like them or you hate them.... Too many variables with the care and maintenance of them to make either statement a true "fact"....

Mitch

Old 08-04-2010 | 02:42 PM
I replaced my oiled AirRaid filter with dry filter from AEM. It is reusable like the K&N but does not require oil...the oil is what gunks the throttle body. I suggest going with a dry filter or just a regular paper Motorcraft one and stay away from the oiled ones. Just my opinion.

Old 08-04-2010 | 03:16 PM
i have used K&N drop in filters and CAI systems and never had an issue with MAF oil contamination if you clean and oil per instructions its only when its not done correctly and as far h.p. gain maybe a little if any.

Old 08-04-2010 | 05:10 PM
Its just my opinion of course, but if there is no HP or mileage benefits I do not see a point in doing it. They are over rated in my opinion. Ive used one before and had dirt get past it, it was only once but once is enough when you pay over $30k for a vehicle.

Old 08-04-2010 | 09:07 PM
^ How do you know you got dirt pass it? How do you know the filter wasn't seated right? It may not have been oiled right. You never have to buy an other filter, and that is "worth it" to some people.

Old 08-04-2010 | 11:07 PM
X-2

Old 08-04-2010 | 11:14 PM
Global Moderator &
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I have 104,000 on my K&N, truck does not use oil, runs great and the MAF has never been fouled. I have cleaned and reoiled my filter 4 times. You just have to follow instructions and oil lightly. No, it does nothing for power or mpg, but saves on filters. LOL

Old 08-05-2010 | 06:05 AM
?

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have 104,000 on my K&N, truck does not use oil, runs great and the MAF has never been fouled. I have cleaned and reoiled my filter 4 times. You just have to follow instructions and oil lightly. No, it does nothing for power or mpg, but saves on filters. LOL
these posts crack me up jim-on my 8 companty vans with well over 1 million miles-all have k&n filters cleaned once a year, amsoil 25 k mile oil changes, and i have zero issues with mafs-or the tb or the engine