Simple muffler swap, no shop will do it WTH!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple muffler swap, no shop will do it WTH!!

All i want is a simple muffler swap and no shop near me will touch it.. Went to monroe, they said " im sorry but we are unable to weld stainless steel and working with it is also to hard to do for us" WTF?? most cars and truck come with ss exhausts now what will they do when they need work done, go out of bussiness?? Three other shops said in the range of 200.00 to do, thats labor only me supplying piping and muffler, so at least 350.00 for me total for a muffler swap.. Two other shops won't do it, and said it will hurt the motor.. Do these idiots even know anything about mechanics of an automobile??

I'm at a loss here, simple cut and weld of a muffler and 12" pipe section and thats it and theres knowone to do it.. not happy and i guess i may as well save up to blow way too much on a cat-back..

I live near the capital of NY.. and oh what d-bags its filled with for mechanic shops..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps just ask them to put it on with clamps, no welding, and then take it to a welder. Or just get a sawzall cut off your current muffler and put your new one in yourself then just use clamps. Or take it to a welder after you installed it yourself.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxout05
All i want is a simple muffler swap and no shop near me will touch it.. Went to monroe, they said " im sorry but we are unable to weld stainless steel and working with it is also to hard to do for us" WTF?? most cars and truck come with ss exhausts now what will they do when they need work done, go out of bussiness?? Three other shops said in the range of 200.00 to do, thats labor only me supplying piping and muffler, so at least 350.00 for me total for a muffler swap.. Two other shops won't do it, and said it will hurt the motor.. Do these idiots even know anything about mechanics of an automobile??

I'm at a loss here, simple cut and weld of a muffler and 12" pipe section and thats it and theres knowone to do it.. not happy and i guess i may as well save up to blow way too much on a cat-back..

I live near the capital of NY.. and oh what d-bags its filled with for mechanic shops..
Thats a bunch of crap, are there any mom and pop shops around? Cant believe that no one will touch it. My exhaust guy charged me 35 bucks to swap mufflers and add a little pipe.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Everyone that you talked to is a ****ing idiot. You might have to broaden your search to find a proper exhaust shop. Try and find one that isn't a franchise store (Midas, Mineki, etc.). Mom and Pop shops are good, but just be sure to tell them exactly how you want it done. Draw a picture for them if you have to.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
^ Crayons seam to work well.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Time to go buy yourself an $89 Harbor Freight welder and do it yourself.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Yea guys went to 6 different "mom and pop" places along with midas, monroe (just wanted to see what they would say as i already knew they were stupid at midas/monroe before i even went in) none would touch it. I already drew a pic of what they need to do. Its as easy as it could be, sawzall cut twice, weld muffler, pipe, pipe and two new hangers cause the stocks ones are attached to the stock muffler.. im pretty pissed that knowone can "weld stainless" lol, give me a break!
I could do it all myself in 30 mins and just use clamps then have it welded, my issue is i have no way without welding to then add new hangers to replace the two stock ones that are attached to the stock muffler. Also the rear pipe would have to be cut literally right before a bend at the back of the stock muffler and i cant clamp that at all.. If i can get around that issue and just have them weld i should be fine. i've never touched a welder so thats no option on a brand new truck, lol!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
You might have to go out of state to find a competent shop. A few members have had some issues finding shops that are willing to do any work.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
As bad as the economy is these days and people do not want to work... Lazy...

Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

What's the deal with stainless welding anyway? Is it any different than welding normal steel? Or is it like welding galvanized steel that makes you sick? lol, know that one from experience... (but a glass of milk fixed the problem haha)

Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't think there is a difference. The guy who did mine welded stainless pieces to an aluminized steel pipes with no problems. Leaks keep forming around the cats, but it's fine except for that.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 AM
If it was thick stainless and of high quality it'd be different to weld, but since it's thin and cheap, the muffler shops just weld it like normal.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Stainless steel is actually harder to weld. Hell I drilled into my headers and it took forever. I can see why a place wouldnt want to do it.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
SS exhaust

Most new OEM exhaust systems are Stainless tubing. I've had a Dynomax muffler welded on my '01 F150 SS oem exhaust and two different Magnaflow mufflers welded on my '05 Nissan Titan SS oem exhaust.

There isn't much to it. You will need a sharp sawzall blade to cut off the oem muffler, a level, muffler and muffler stand, x" amount of pipe to fit between muffler and oem mid-pipe, a welder and a competent shop to do it.

Obviously no one in your area needs the extra income, must be a lot of well-to-do exhaust shop's in your area. Get on the internet and find a shop willing to do the work. Make a few phone calls and visit them on a saturday if they're open. Don't be afraid to take your business somewhere else.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Are you sure that you dont have a titanium exhaust, bc you cant weld titanium to anything else other than titanium.

Quick Reply: Simple muffler swap, no shop will do it WTH!!