Spectre Intake vs. Gotts Mod???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh why oh why!!! Such a waste of money. Bigtruck If you have another 70$ to spare I'd be more than happy to take it... I need a new custom tune from PHP !!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Old 01-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by BigTruckGuy
i was tryin to find if anyone had positive or negative gains from it.

So how is the intake working out for you? I agree that the metal intake does not make enough difference in intake temp at cruising speed to even consider it to be a problem. Maybe over a long idle time, it might actually be warmer.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I never ended up getting it.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
The Specter is a Warm Air Intake. The Gotts is a proper, yet cheap CAI.
everytime someone posts about an intake other than the gotts mod i see you sayin its a warm air intake do you actually have proof that it in fact brings in warmer air then the gotts i.e. temp probes inside the intake at all different operating ranges like idling, highway cruising, or city driving or are you just using deductive reasoning of what you and others think is actually happening in there

Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Those that have taken the time to test find out the difference between the stock and aftermarket intake is really only a bit of difference in the cool down time after idling.

Even a stock intake sucks hot air in city traffic and may take as much as 5 miles at speed to cool down to the same as the outside air temp.

Looking at the intake of the 2010 5.4, I am pretty impressed with the way the intake draws air from the area behind the head lamp. I would like to see the snorkel facing to the front like many of the stock Ford intakes do, but I guess Ford has it's reasons for doing it sideways. At least the attempt is there to allow more air in with all of the holes drilled in the snorkel. Although it's still an ugly intake!!

I just went outside and started my truck and allowed it to idle until it reached 190 degrees of water temp. It took 12 minutes with the outside temp reading 47 degrees. At the end of the 12 minutes, the intake temp indicated 69 degrees. That's with a cold engine and just at idle. Yesterday the temps were in the 49-50 range and at 65 mph the intake varied 2-4 degrees cooler from the ambient temp. During a normal trip while sitting at a red light the temp will rise over 25 degrees above ambient temp in just a minute or so. So in my opinion there is no such animal as a cold air intake, unless you go to the drag strip and see how the professionals get cold air. Scoops a foot above the hood, or the tuners with a scoop in the front bumper taking air directly to the turbo.

Any intake, stock or aftermarket, that is enclosed in the area under the hood is going to suck in hot air from the engine when the vehicle is not moving in a forward motion. And both intakes will be within a couple of degrees of the ambient temperature within a few miles of driving.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
Those that have taken the time to test find out the difference between the stock and aftermarket intake is really only a bit of difference in the cool down time after idling.

Even a stock intake sucks hot air in city traffic and may take as much as 5 miles at speed to cool down to the same as the outside air temp.

Looking at the intake of the 2010 5.4, I am pretty impressed with the way the intake draws air from the area behind the head lamp. I would like to see the snorkel facing to the front like many of the stock Ford intakes do, but I guess Ford has it's reasons for doing it sideways. At least the attempt is there to allow more air in with all of the holes drilled in the snorkel. Although it's still an ugly intake!!

I just went outside and started my truck and allowed it to idle until it reached 190 degrees of water temp. It took 12 minutes with the outside temp reading 47 degrees. At the end of the 12 minutes, the intake temp indicated 69 degrees. That's with a cold engine and just at idle. Yesterday the temps were in the 49-50 range and at 65 mph the intake varied 2-4 degrees cooler from the ambient temp. During a normal trip while sitting at a red light the temp will rise over 25 degrees above ambient temp in just a minute or so. So in my opinion there is no such animal as a cold air intake, unless you go to the drag strip and see how the professionals get cold air. Scoops a foot above the hood, or the tuners with a scoop in the front bumper taking air directly to the turbo.

Any intake, stock or aftermarket, that is enclosed in the area under the hood is going to suck in hot air from the engine when the vehicle is not moving in a forward motion. And both intakes will be within a couple of degrees of the ambient temperature within a few miles of driving.
ok so what your sayin is it doesnt matter what you have ie stock, gotts or some aftermarket (CAI) they all will suck in air in the same temp ranges so unless its setup right none of them truly bring in cold air

i can respect your post about the temps i just find it annoying that people always bash other people for gettin what they want for their truck especially when none of these are true cold air intakes all they really do is increase the volume of air being let in

Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 AM
i can respect your post about the temps i just find it annoying that people always bash other people for gettin what they want for their truck especially when none of these are true cold air intakes all they really do is increase the volume of air being let in

I can understand the concerns that folks have about intakes causing a lean condition. But this only happens at WOT. The PCM adjust the ratio during normal driving cycles.

For some of us, WOT is a real no no. Gas mileage drops to the floor when you go WOT on these big bricks, so I don't do the WOT if I don't have to.

But I would suggest that no one purchase an intake unless the company provides a dyno sheet for that year and make.

When I looked up the intake for a 2010 5.4 on the K& N site, all that was provided was a dyno sheet for an older 2007 Expedition. So, I will not purchase an intake from K&N.

Getting a custom tune is actually the best way to go. With a custom tune you can add your intake and exhaust and feel sure that the system will work as you expect it to.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can understand the concerns that folks have about intakes causing a lean condition. But this only happens at WOT. The PCM adjust the ratio during normal driving cycles.
^ This is misleading and not universally true ...

And remember - it's not just WOT, it's Open Loop that is the concern - and you run in Open Loop very often...

And - if the MAF TF is off by a large enough amount - even Closed Loop is affected...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4344063-post4.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4434910-post75.html

MGD

Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM

For some of us, WOT is a real no no. Gas mileage drops to the floor when you go WOT on these big bricks, so I don't do the WOT if I don't have to.

When I looked up the intake for a 2010 5.4 on the K& N site, all that was provided was a dyno sheet for an older 2007 Expedition. So, I will not purchase an intake from K&N.

Getting a custom tune is actually the best way to go. With a custom tune you can add your intake and exhaust and feel sure that the system will work as you expect it to.
yeah i dont see why you would need to go WOT either on a big 4x4 i dont think ive gone half throttle with mine now my lightning thats another story

i wonder if there gonna make a dyno sheet for our trucks or just skip it cus they have one for the 07 like you said and just make one for the 2011 engines

yeah i cant wait to get a custom tune for my truck itd be more or less for the trans shifting but i love my new truck

Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MI02SVT
yeah i dont see why you would need to go WOT either on a big 4x4 i dont think ive gone half throttle with mine ...
...BUT, you operate in Open Loop every time you drive yer truck....

MGD

Quick Reply: Spectre Intake vs. Gotts Mod???