Longtube Headers Installed...snap, crackle, pop

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010 | 01:53 PM
|
Longtube Headers Installed...snap, crackle, pop

Ever since i had my obx longtbubes installed, along with my x pipe, dynomax bullets and 4x18" tips the exhaust has snapped, crackled, and popped and it's only under part throttle.

If i cruise through the gears, i get the SCP (snap, crackle, pop) especially around 1800-2000 rpm and quite frankly it's annoying

I know the exhausts drone around 1800 rpm but mines less of a drone and more of a sound of crap

Another note: the truck seems to starve and want more power when i shift around 2000rpm and giving it more throttle she wants to move, but less than that it's a bit of a dog, unless im shifting around 1500 it's smooth, deep, and no hesitation.

I've got the gryphon on a canned 87 tune, would getting the custom tune help with the starving of power or is there another issue, leak?

Installed the headers about 7,000 miles back and it's done this ever since i had the true duals fabbed up

Would swapping the bullets out for say a borla xs help emit the SCP or should i be looking at something else here

It's great under wide open throttle but part throttle doesn't seem to be tickling her sweet spot

thanks for any help in advance!

Old 09-22-2010 | 02:20 PM
Longtubes's go hand in hand with custom tune. You will have more power, and you motor will be able to take full advantage of you LT. I would recommend putting it back to stock for as long as you do not have your custom tune. LT's do NOT go hand in hand with canned tunes.

Old 09-22-2010 | 02:36 PM
|
Well I knew this before hand with custom tunes, but will the tunes eliminate the lack of torque or say the need for more throttle to comfortably cruise through the gears?

The tunes take months to arrive and I have fans and possible pulleys going into the truck these next couple weeks.

Will I damage anything running the canned tune, she runs great now besides the above mentioned problem but I want to be certain that I'm not missing anything here

Old 09-22-2010 | 02:54 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by BLFX4K
Ever since i had my obx longtbubes installed, along with my x pipe, dynomax bullets and 4x18" tips the exhaust has snapped, crackled, and popped and it's only under part throttle.

If i cruise through the gears, i get the SCP (snap, crackle, pop) especially around 1800-2000 rpm and quite frankly it's annoying

I know the exhausts drone around 1800 rpm but mines less of a drone and more of a sound of crap

Another note: the truck seems to starve and want more power when i shift around 2000rpm and giving it more throttle she wants to move, but less than that it's a bit of a dog, unless im shifting around 1500 it's smooth, deep, and no hesitation.

I've got the gryphon on a canned 87 tune, would getting the custom tune help with the starving of power or is there another issue, leak?

Installed the headers about 7,000 miles back and it's done this ever since i had the true duals fabbed up

Would swapping the bullets out for say a borla xs help emit the SCP or should i be looking at something else here

It's great under wide open throttle but part throttle doesn't seem to be tickling her sweet spot

thanks for any help in advance!

what you are experiencing is common with long tubes and an X-pipe with straight thru mufflers

without a custom tune, your truck risks running lean which if it is, is contributing to the popping...

Old 09-22-2010 | 02:57 PM
|
So custom tune as soon as possible?

I'm guessing running the stock configuration will continue to pop until im on a custom tune from bill?

Old 09-22-2010 | 03:48 PM
Truck of the Month
yes, and it will after a bit as well

Old 09-22-2010 | 08:41 PM
Id stick it on a dyno and have a true tune done instead of a mail order tune

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:08 PM
|
Kind of hard because only bill tunes the gryphon...

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:09 PM
That would be an expensive tune.

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:19 PM
|
I think I'll dyno If I go blown, that being said anyone selling a charger for 04-08 5.4? If so please pm me

Old 09-22-2010 | 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by BLFX4K
Would swapping the bullets out for say a borla xs help emit the SCP
Get a custom tune, and ^^^ yes

Old 09-22-2010 | 11:13 PM
|
thanks for all the help!

i've actually had my order form filled out for a couple months now and keep putting it off incase i get a supercharger

Old 09-23-2010 | 08:12 PM
^ For Borla muffler? Which one?

Old 09-23-2010 | 10:21 PM
|
no, for the custom tunes, didnt clarify that, sorry

Old 09-26-2010 | 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
what you are experiencing is common with long tubes and an X-pipe with straight thru mufflers

without a custom tune, your truck risks running lean which if it is, is contributing to the popping...
right, at full throttle they sound the way they should. with headers and at lower rpm and some mid throttle they tend to pop. adding chambered mufflers will help the sound be more consistent without popping/cracking. it seems to be sort of a stressing on the engine becuase the LT's make less power at lower rpm and thrive at higher rpm. im just used to it because i love the horsepower.

plus you wont fully benefit from lt's with a canned tune. only a custom tune will take advantage of the flow and will actually equally add power throughout the power range. been there, done that. loved it.

Quick Reply: Longtube Headers Installed...snap, crackle, pop