this seems to be a magnaflow oriented forum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010 | 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longshot270
Bingo, I picked the flowmaster because I liked the sound more. Apparently it is different for you but over here most of the magnaflows I see make popping noises if you get on it. But to compare value, mine was $40 (but could get it new for $80) compared to the more expensive magnaflow. The small difference in power didn't matter too much because before I bought mine I tried taking the muffler off for a free(er) flowing exhaust and didn't have much power difference. All my times are within .2 seconds of each other with, quite suprisingly, the stock exhaust holding the fastest time and the free flowing having the worst. Dont ask me why but that is how it was. Then to compare engine efficiency, my worst mileage was on the free flowing exhaust (try paying for 16 mpg on the highway when your used to 19). I also used my experience on other trucks and went with the sound I liked most.

Let me ask you this....Was your truck properly tuned for each setup? Doesnt sound like it was. Seems that it would make sense that the stock setup would produce the best results with stock tuning because it was tuned for that setup. All too many people throw on free flowing exhausts then complain about the loss of low end power, and they didnt get the engine properly tuned to compensate for the added air movement and are then running lean at certain areas of the RPM range.
Theoretically if you compenstate for the added air movement/velocity by adding more fuel you will see gains. Off course your truck could always be some weird exception. Kinda how, to you, the Magnaflows produce a popping noise whereas they dont for anyone else.

My Magnaflow produces a very smooth rumble through all rpms, with no weird popping noises on or off the throttle.

Its all about preference on the sound issue. I can't change your mind on that (even though you are clearly hard of hearing lol) Do what makes you feel good about your truck. Im just bustin yer *****.

Last edited by 700hauler; 11-05-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2010 | 06:19 PM
|
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
OK I'll try. Here we go. That doesn't sound good....

I DID IT!

yea yea ha

Old 11-05-2010 | 06:24 PM
|
alright well again im going to ask, WHAT ABOUT the pypes violator, hooker max flow, or the cherry bomb vortex mufflers?

Old 11-05-2010 | 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Junk, junk, and... junk. There is a really good reason why Mangaflow, Borla, and Dynomax bullets are so popular here. They sound good, period.

Roll with it!

Old 11-05-2010 | 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by 700hauler
Let me ask you this....Was your truck properly tuned for each setup? Doesnt sound like it was. Seems that it would make sense that the stock setup would produce the best results with stock tuning because it was tuned for that setup. All too many people throw on free flowing exhausts then complain about the loss of low end power, and they didnt get the engine properly tuned to compensate for the added air movement and are then running lean at certain areas of the RPM range.
Theoretically if you compenstate for the added air movement/velocity by adding more fuel you will see gains. Off course your truck could always be some weird exception. Kinda how, to you, the Magnaflows produce a popping noise whereas they dont for anyone else.

My Magnaflow produces a very smooth rumble through all rpms, with no weird popping noises on or off the throttle.

Its all about preference on the sound issue. I can't change your mind on that (even though you are clearly hard of hearing lol) Do what makes you feel good about your truck. Im just bustin yer *****.
Well actually to an extent yes. When I was filling out my order form for a custom tune I had listed a free flowing exhaust past the cats but I didn't do dual pipes. After the cats, the "Y" is the highest point of restriction (yes, MGD, I screwed up on that earlier) so anything past that didn't matter as much. I test crossed the 1/4 mile times of just stock (with and without mufflers) then custom tune (with and without muffler). The results were still too close to base a decision off of even though the stock muffler had been that .1 seconds faster and not nearly as obnoxious as without a muffler. The deciding factor was my gas mileage and how poorly it dropped without the muffler. My city mileage stayed the same but it was annoying listening to how loud it was and highway was consistently lower by 2-3 mpg. I wish I still had the sheets for proof but I dont so you'll have to take my word for it.

Bill at PHP has told me different trucks run differently and respond differently to tuning and mods. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

I'm the one who is hard of hearing? I'll get a vid put together of exhaust clips and compare that to some of the magnaflows on YouTube

I haven't heard the others in person but for the cherry bombs, it depends on how well you mount them. I've heard ONE truck sound really good with them and others sound really, really bad with them.

Old 11-05-2010 | 08:36 PM
Well actually to an extent yes. When I was filling out my order form for a custom tune I had listed a free flowing exhaust past the cats but I didn't do dual pipes. After the cats, the "Y" is the highest point of restriction (yes, MGD, I screwed up on that earlier) so anything past that didn't matter as much. I test crossed the 1/4 mile times of just stock (with and without mufflers) then custom tune (with and without muffler). The results were still too close to base a decision off of even though the stock muffler had been that .1 seconds faster and not nearly as obnoxious as without a muffler. The deciding factor was my gas mileage and how poorly it dropped without the muffler. My city mileage stayed the same but it was annoying listening to how loud it was and highway was consistently lower by 2-3 mpg. I wish I still had the sheets for proof but I dont so you'll have to take my word for it.

Bill at PHP has told me different trucks run differently and respond differently to tuning and mods. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

I'm the one who is hard of hearing? I'll get a vid put together of exhaust clips and compare that to some of the magnaflows on YouTube

I haven't heard the others in person but for the cherry bombs, it depends on how well you mount them. I've heard ONE truck sound really good with them and others sound really, really bad with them.
.1 second is easily attributed to a lot of other factors aside from the muffler. There is too much human factor involved to say one muffler setup made .1 second difference. You say you don't care for going with mufflers that are dyno proven to give more power than other designs, yet you are putting stock in quarter mile time differences that are miniscule enough to be attiributed to human error? Man I could go back and forth for days on this but I'm gonna leave it alone at this point. And you are basing sound of mufflers off of youtube videos? Really?

Last edited by 700hauler; 11-05-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2010 | 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by 700hauler
.1 second is easily attributed to a lot of other factors aside from the muffler. There is too much human factor involved to say one muffler setup made .1 second difference. And you are basing sound of mufflers off of youtube videos? Really?
Yeah, that is why I then considered the differences in fuel economy. I didn't what to be stuck with a muffler that got me poor mileage when there was a noticable difference between a regular pipe and a chambered muffler. You have to admit that even just 2 mpg is a pretty big difference considering what was done. I drove over 1000 miles with a flow through exhaust from the cats.

No, that was a joke dude...ok I fail at humor today. No I really swapped about a dozen mufflers on about 4-5 trucks (2 dodges, 2 chevys and another Ford) plus asking what people had when I heard a sound I liked. All I remembered was my favorite was the flowmaster with magnaflow being a close second. Then price came into play and the flowmaster also won out against the magnaflow.

Old 11-05-2010 | 09:37 PM
MBRP. Sounds good to me. This thread really didn't pay off. Sadly it's just opinions.

Old 11-05-2010 | 11:07 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I read that charts too (like: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...o_numbers.html) .... the Flowmaster and Magnflows are so close that no one here is going to know the difference in real; world driving or power pulling that camper or horse trailer or in 1/4 mile ET / speed.

It comes down to sound preferance.

Old 11-05-2010 | 11:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mixedbreed
MBRP. Sounds good to me. This thread really didn't pay off. Sadly it's just opinions.

Old 11-06-2010 | 11:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tbear853
I read that charts too (like: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...o_numbers.html) .... the Flowmaster and Magnflows are so close that no one here is going to know the difference in real; world driving or power pulling that camper or horse trailer or in 1/4 mile ET / speed.

It comes down to sound preferance.
Could you fix the link ? I want to see it.

I believe M5M also tested torque/power difs. Like a shoot out, some time ago. Borla topped the list that time.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-06-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2010 | 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nw150
Why? 'm not tryin to get into a retarded argument about mufflers here, but why does everyone think magnaflow mufflers are better than flowsmasters? Anything ive see dyno wise showed the flows only made a few hp less than the mags, but also at a lower rpm, which to me would be better. And another thing, the mags all sound like farts from what ive watched! Personally, i want my v8 to sound good throughout the rpm band, not get to 4grand and here a bunch of farting popping noises!

Just wondering whats better about them. Considering im redoing my exhaust on my 75 f100 with a 390 next year. I'm gonna put some headers on and run dual 2.5" pipes with an x-pipe, and can't chose mufflers. I am leaning towards the super 10's from flowmaster and the thrush 40 series copy.....

INFO
Did we answer your question??

Old 11-06-2010 | 01:37 PM
Yeah, that is why I then considered the differences in fuel economy. I didn't what to be stuck with a muffler that got me poor mileage when there was a noticable difference between a regular pipe and a chambered muffler. You have to admit that even just 2 mpg is a pretty big difference considering what was done. I drove over 1000 miles with a flow through exhaust from the cats.

No, that was a joke dude...ok I fail at humor today. No I really swapped about a dozen mufflers on about 4-5 trucks (2 dodges, 2 chevys and another Ford) plus asking what people had when I heard a sound I liked. All I remembered was my favorite was the flowmaster with magnaflow being a close second. Then price came into play and the flowmaster also won out against the magnaflow.

Old 11-06-2010 | 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by mixedbreed
What else do you expect when the question is basically "why is everyone on here so biased toward Magnaflow"? In forums 98% of the info that gets tossed around is opinion.

Old 11-06-2010 | 01:52 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Could you fix the link ? I want to see it.

I believe M5M also tested torque/power difs. Like a shoot out, some time ago. Borla topped the list that time.
I just now clicked on it and it worked? It appears shorter but it works.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...o_numbers.html

Quick Reply: this seems to be a magnaflow oriented forum?