this seems to be a magnaflow oriented forum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010 | 10:08 AM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
Here is the bottom line man. It is your truck. If you like it, then roll with it. You have to listen to it not us. Me? I got rid of my flowmasters and went with a pair of Borla mufflers. I am 100% happier with them. Just my personnel taste though. I say, if you like the flowrattle, then screw all of us and get it done!
I just like the flowmaster sound better, but i'd still like the one that give better performance i guess. i watched your vid and it sounds pretty good.

I've got some choosing to do ha

Old 11-09-2010 | 01:44 PM
No man....go with the one thats cheaper and "sounds louder"...who needs better performance?

We aren't in the 80's anymore, Flowmasters are a thing of the past when it comes to performance. It looks like to me that you have a bunch of people who have only used Flowmasters saying they are just fine, then you have people who have used both who say they will never go back to Flowmaster after experiencing mufflers like Magnaflow and Borla. This stuff has been proven on the dyno and peoples' testimonies on here. I guess if you are in it for just sound and to be cheap then you deserve a Flowmaster

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:39 PM
|
Originally Posted by 700hauler
No man....go with the one thats cheaper and "sounds louder"...who needs better performance?

We aren't in the 80's anymore, Flowmasters are a thing of the past when it comes to performance. It looks like to me that you have a bunch of people who have only used Flowmasters saying they are just fine, then you have people who have used both who say they will never go back to Flowmaster after experiencing mufflers like Magnaflow and Borla. This stuff has been proven on the dyno and peoples' testimonies on here. I guess if you are in it for just sound and to be cheap then you deserve a Flowmaster
you cant tell me you'd buy something that's $1000 over something half that price, that'll give you the same results. So yea if i can get something that gives good performance and is cheaper at the same time OF COURSE that's what i want to get. This exhaust is going on a mud truck, not a daily driver. so it doesnt have to be fancy.

Since the magnaflows are consistently said to be so much better, anyone that wants to help here, tell me which mufflers should i buy from them? Again, it's a 390, ill put headers on, and run most likely 2.5" pipes with and x-pipe, or if the muffler is dual in dual out and crosses over inside, that's fine with me to, and have the pipes exit out both sides in from of the rear tires.

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Buy everything from performancepeddler.com with the code "clubgp". Mufflers will be around $50 a piece from them with free shipping. I recommend round body Magnaflows but have never heard them on an old school pushrod engine. It might sound good, it might not.

Old 11-09-2010 | 06:00 PM
|
i'd but from there, but i might just go to summit for it all, i live only a few miles away from the place, and ill have summit bucks by then for some money off..

keep the suggestions coming everyone.

Old 11-09-2010 | 06:15 PM
You'll end up paying more at Summit, but OK.

Old 11-09-2010 | 06:20 PM
|
why would i end up paying more there?

Old 11-09-2010 | 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by nw150
Instead of just taking him for his word shop around. It might be cheaper. But also keep in mind, lots of things are cheaper on the internet until you factor in shipping. But if you get other benefits besides a discount I would certainly factor that into the equation.

Old 11-09-2010 | 07:00 PM
you cant tell me you'd buy something that's $1000 over something half that price, that'll give you the same results. So yea if i can get something that gives good performance and is cheaper at the same time OF COURSE that's what i want to get. This exhaust is going on a mud truck, not a daily driver. so it doesnt have to be fancy.

Since the magnaflows are consistently said to be so much better, anyone that wants to help here, tell me which mufflers should i buy from them? Again, it's a 390, ill put headers on, and run most likely 2.5" pipes with and x-pipe, or if the muffler is dual in dual out and crosses over inside, that's fine with me to, and have the pipes exit out both sides in from of the rear tires.
Come on now we are talking tens of dollars here..not hundreds. And the Flowmaster won't give the same results. Thats already been proven, its just whether or not you want to pay more for the small amount of difference. Personally, I like to get the most out of my builds when I modify my vehicles no matter how mild the build is. Why not get the most out of it? But if all you care about is sound and cheapness then go with Flowmaster...its your choice, you are asking for input but shooting people down when they tell you Flowmaster is inferior when compared to the competition. Flowmaster straight up doesnt give the same performance as the other mufflers mentioned.
I got my magnaflow from Summit (have a store here locally as well), cant remember what model it is though. I got the standard oval non polished one and it really wasnt that expensive.

actually, I was just looking at summitracing.com and the Flowmasters really aren't much cheaper than the Magnaflows. Maybe only roughly $10 difference between the magnaflow I have and the Flowmasters.
I think this is the one I have....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-11229/

I have a single 3" system, obviously if you are doing duals you would want a smaller diameter pipe/muffler

here is a Flowmaster 40 series of roughly the same size...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-43041/

Wow, a $11.87 difference, don't break the bank going with magnaflow!

Last edited by 700hauler; 11-09-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2010 | 07:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, a $11.87 difference, don't break the bank going with magnaflow!

Old 11-09-2010 | 07:41 PM
|
to 700hauler and av frog, i am talking about borla being expensive, not magnaflow and flowmaster.....

Old 11-09-2010 | 07:43 PM
|
also, i'm not saying i dont believe you guys, im sayin that i still like flowmaster, and thats my personal choice, im not sayin that they are better performance wise over magnaflow, at first yes i didnt really think there was.

Old 11-09-2010 | 08:15 PM
also, i'm not saying i dont believe you guys, im sayin that i still like flowmaster, and thats my personal choice, im not sayin that they are better performance wise over magnaflow, at first yes i didnt really think there was.
SO then this should be an easy choice for you We were just trying to help you get the most out of your exhaust, but if thats not important, which it doesnt sound like it is, then go with what you like. Its your truck after all.

I personally think you would be pleasantly suprised running two of the Magnaflows (inlet and outlet diameter adjusted accordingly) I listed above. Especially after they have an opportunity to break in a little. The flowthrough design of the Magnaflows would sound sweet on an older truck such as yours with a 390. They are all going to sound a lot different on that motor than they do on our trucks for obvious reasons. If you go that route just be sure to get the proper inlet/outlet diameters, and get the shorter mufflers (I think the shorter ones are 14 inches as opposed to 20" or so.)

Last edited by 700hauler; 11-09-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2010 | 08:51 PM
|
SO then this should be an easy choice for you We were just trying to help you get the most out of your exhaust, but if thats not important, which it doesnt sound like it is, then go with what you like. Its your truck after all.

I personally think you would be pleasantly suprised running two of the Magnaflows (inlet and outlet diameter adjusted accordingly) I listed above. Especially after they have an opportunity to break in a little. The flowthrough design of the Magnaflows would sound sweet on an older truck such as yours with a 390. They are all going to sound a lot different on that motor than they do on our trucks for obvious reasons. If you go that route just be sure to get the proper inlet/outlet diameters, and get the shorter mufflers (I think the shorter ones are 14 inches as opposed to 20" or so.)

I just dont want my exhaust to sound farty at wot, and i know flowmaster doesnt. i also dont know if magnaflows do or not, but ive heard some setups using them, and they had that noise i didnt like. as long as the ones you've suggested dont do that, i dont see any problem with choosing them

Old 11-09-2010 | 10:20 PM
Because Summit marks everything up. Performancepeddler.com sells stuff at bottom dollar with free shipping if you use the "clubgp" code. Borla mufflers are still really expensive from them, but Maggie mufflers are cheaper than FM's.

Quick Reply: this seems to be a magnaflow oriented forum?