Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enjoy. The truck looks good and really cleans up the engine bay for sure.

Don't worry about the comments. There are the usual 5 or 6 that have all of the knowledge and are quick to pass it on.

The comments about the "warm air intake" are unfounded. The stock intakes are not "cold air intakes". Just get a scanguage and monitor intake temps on a stock vehicle. All pull in hot air until the vehicle is moving, then regardless of type of intake, the temps all drop down to the same.

And how soon we forget that for years, all intakes were made of metal. Plastic only started as a weight saving measure, and ease of production.

So enjoy.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM
So, if there is nothing to base the "metal conducts heat" comment off of, why does the metal K&N kit produce around 6 LESS horespower than the plastic one? I am not making this up, these numbers are straight from K&N.

FIPK: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-2556

77 Series: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=77-2556KP

And anyone who really thinks these trucks don't need a tune with an aftermarket intake is an idiot. Same as the guy who thinks he can "feel" 6 HP from a crap bolt on intake. As usual, some people insist on going out and buying junk that is a waste of money and get butt hurt when the people who know try to tell them that.

To the OP and all of your "followers" you seemed to have picked up in here, have fun with your warm air intakes and crappy looking HIDs.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the OP...Don't pay attention to the negative comments here..It's your truck, do what you want to with it..it looks great IMHO. The only word of caution I would have is that if the intake tube is over 3" in diameter, you might run into a lean condition (tune recommended), anything 3" in diameter you won't have any problems in an 07 MY without a tune. Other than that, enjoy your truck and don't take all these negative comments to heart. Some on here have some very bad 'bed side manners'. Should of read some of the comments I got when I put the E3 plugs into my 07..over 5000 mi on them now without any problems ! (knock on wood). If I sense a problem they will come out and the motorcraft will go back in. Same as you ..my truck, my money !! If someone wants to comment with CONSTRUCTIVE comment and not op bashing, this is welcomed. I try to comment only if I have first hand experience with the subject, good or bad.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTerp
Hope you have custom tunes......
x2 but with his attitude I highly doubt he does and I hope the motor survives

Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by expy03
Enjoy. The truck looks good and really cleans up the engine bay for sure.

Don't worry about the comments. There are the usual 5 or 6 that have all of the knowledge and are quick to pass it on.

The comments about the "warm air intake" are unfounded. The stock intakes are not "cold air intakes". Just get a scanguage and monitor intake temps on a stock vehicle. All pull in hot air until the vehicle is moving, then regardless of type of intake, the temps all drop down to the same.

And how soon we forget that for years, all intakes were made of metal. Plastic only started as a weight saving measure, and ease of production.

So enjoy.
of course they drop down to the same theyre goin in a hot engine if anything the stock pulls air from the fender here ur grabbing air from the engine bay....as for the op the thing is running lean now...check back in a couple days when your exhaust tips have no black residue on them cuz the motor is getting more air then fuel..u've thrown off ur ratios of air/fuel off....but who knows i like to think with common sense cuz im only a little kid whos scared to be as stubborn as u

Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry you took my past as being rude, not my intent. Just trying to say that these motors are notorious for running lean with an aftermarket cai unless you have a custom tune to compensate for the intake. Other than that, I love the look of aftermarket CAIs and yours doesn't disappoint!!! But if your happy with your power increase do some searches on here regarding tuners. A proper custom tune in combination with your K&N intake will really wake your truck up. Either way, enjoy your new intake!!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I hat those intakes, - I think they blow. Not that it matters lol, but yea, - if have a 3 valve, they run leaner than 2 valves have in past, with that set up. The 2 valves you can get away with it. The 3 valves have a different story, - you only get away with it for so long..

Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't need to believe anyone here - but you should perhaps heed Mike Troyer's, and Justin Starkey's, advice ....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ir-intake.html

Plain & simple - it's not about tube diameter - it's about the changes in the slot-style MAF region of the tube. AFI did it right - K&N did not.
And - model year does not matter - any MY with that kind of MAF will be a candidate for issues.

At least get yer A/F's checked with a wideband to knwo fer sure ...

Good luck.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-19-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM
All great advice! SO from my understanding the 04-05's were the only 5.4's that had problems not the 07's. Also from further research I found that since I'm here in the mile high city of Colorado I didnt have to worry about running lean or getting to much air?

Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Rockstar22, I removed your last post. Two things that are not tolerated here is excessive foul language and personal insults. Any more will earn you a vacation.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay
rockstar22, i removed your last post. Two things that are not tolerated here is excessive foul language and personal insults. Any more will earn you a vacation.
noted!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by rockstar22
All great advice! SO from my understanding the 04-05's were the only 5.4's that had problems not the 07's. Also from further research I found that since I'm here in the mile high city of Colorado I didnt have to worry about running lean or getting to much air?
colorado isnt a city, denver is ha :P where are you in colorado? And to make this relative im curious as to what affect the high altitude will have.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Congrats on the good deal. I have no comment on the heat issue from the aluminum pipe.

I have had the K&N FIPK "The one with the plastic pipe" for 5 years now on my '04 3v 5.4.

I can vouch for the lean condition on the stock tune. Also a little rougher idle. I ran it like that for a couple years and didn't blow it up and it ran good.

I since have got a custom tune for the K&N on a Superchips tuner. This did make a huge difference in performance and now I know its safe.

If you know of someone local to you with a dyno, take it to him and ask him to run it to check your air/fuel ratio to be safe. Thats what I did and had an eye opener.

I installed my K&N and got the same negative comments from others as you have. I did some reading and then learned about the lean condition created by the CAI.

Good Luck

Last edited by pethel; 12-19-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Just some things I have learned here over teh years:

The great Mike Troyer, after lots of testing, stated that underhood temp of the moving vehicle is almost the same as outside, so the open filters are fine. He also stated that the K&Ns were one of the worst performers and that the metal tube did affect the temp of the air going into the throttle body. This was all from dyno testing.

Yes the 2004s and 2005s were the worst, but occasionally, one of the later years have shown to run lean.

The aftermarket intakes do not help much without a custom tune, just a fact of life proven on the dyno.

You got a good price and it does clean up the engine bay. The posters were just trying to make you aware of the potential problems and the limited power results. I can understand, these things were not what you wanted to hear, but they are documented facts. Members would not be much good if they did not tell you what they have learned, both good and bad. Take the knowledge and use it as you wish.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by rustyninja911
colorado isnt a city, denver is ha :P where are you in colorado? And to make this relative im curious as to what affect the high altitude will have.
Yes indeed Colorado isnt a city. I said I'm here in the mile high city of Colorado (Denver) and it's 5,183 above sea level.

Quick Reply: Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series