Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pethel
Congrats on the good deal. I have no comment on the heat issue from the aluminum pipe.

I have had the K&N FIPK "The one with the plastic pipe" for 5 years now on my '04 3v 5.4.

I can vouch for the lean condition on the stock tune. Also a little rougher idle. I ran it like that for a couple years and didn't blow it up and it ran good.

I since have got a custom tune for the K&N on a Superchips tuner. This did make a huge difference in performance and now I know its safe.

If you know of someone local to you with a dyno, take it to him and ask him to run it to check your air/fuel ratio to be safe. Thats what I did and had an eye opener.

I installed my K&N and got the same negative comments from others as you have. I did some reading and then learned about the lean condition created by the CAI.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info. Again everything I've read about lean conditions had to do with the 04-05's. I know the owner of a local shop and I'm sure I would have zero problems getting on the dyno and checking my A/F. I'm more inclined to do this now so I can post some factual information.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The 06+ 3v 5.4's have an adjusted tune to help prevent the lean condition. You should be fine to use it without having to worry about the engine damaging itself. You still aren't gaining anymore than a few HP without a custom tune.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
The 06+ 3v 5.4's have an adjusted tune to help prevent the lean condition. You should be fine to use it without having to worry about the engine damaging itself. You still aren't gaining anymore than a few HP without a custom tune.
Agreed! I wasnt looking for 30hp to the wheels. Like I said before, I got a good deal, cleaned up the engine bay and got to put a aftermarket part on my truck. I'm as happy as can be.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by expy03
Enjoy. The truck looks good and really cleans up the engine bay for sure.

Don't worry about the comments. There are the usual 5 or 6 that have all of the knowledge and are quick to pass it on.

The comments about the "warm air intake" are unfounded. The stock intakes are not "cold air intakes". Just get a scanguage and monitor intake temps on a stock vehicle. All pull in hot air until the vehicle is moving, then regardless of type of intake, the temps all drop down to the same.

And how soon we forget that for years, all intakes were made of metal. Plastic only started as a weight saving measure, and ease of production.

So enjoy.
Excellent reply!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by rockstar22
Thanks bro I really appreciate the support. I think it looks clean and sounds great! As for the HID kit I also swiped those off of Craigslist BRAND NEW for $50 bucks. ( I'll probably get knocked down for that too ) They are a cheper brand "XENTEC" 10,000k and I love them. I've never had any problems with them and they were all plug and play. Thanks again
heck yea. i ordered mine from hidextra.com for about 30 a kit during all those thanksgiving sales and there just fine, idk why people want to pay 150+ for a kit when they can pay 30 and have a 2 year warranty. mine are 12000k that are blue with just a slight hint of purple

Old 12-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope. O4+ 3V's.

Adjusted tunes to address the CEL threshold, for a stock intake, but they still cannot and do not account for MAF venturi changes incurred by a tube geometry change.

This is well-known, well-documented, and well-discussed (a sample of which is evident in my previous post).

Only direct measurement can tell you with certainty.

MGD

Old 12-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Nope. O4+ 3V's.

Adjusted tunes to address the CEL threshold, for a stock intake, but they still cannot and do not account for MAF venturi changes incurred by a tube geometry change.

This is well-known, well-documented, and well-discussed (a sample of which is evident in my previous post).

MGD
Thanks for the info. You probably just summed up what I've been trying to get at. The very last thing you said was "Only direct measurement can tell you with certainty". Everyone has an opinion but as far as a person actually testing and getting results with differnt setups I still have yet to see that. I have a call into the shop for a dyno session. I will run both stock and aftermarket intakes and compare HP and A/F readings. I want some factual results that I've done myself

Old 12-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Nope. O4+ 3V's.

MGD
It's less common in the 06+ 5.4's than the 04's and 05's. It's still not perfect, but it's less lean than it would be with an older tune.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's less common in the 06+ 5.4's than the 04's and 05's. It's still not perfect, but it's less lean than it would be with an older tune.
Buddy - again - the revised calibrations are intended for stock intakes only, where the OEM MAF Transfer Function is already known.

There is no way for that OEM MAF TF to accomodate any changes to same that an aftermarket Washoobi will impact. The tuners are quite clear on this point - TP, VMP and PHP - even for '09-'10 trucks.

This forum is full of info related to this. It's the reason even canned tuners include some MAF TF-corrected tunes for selected Washoobi's - Superchips & Diablo as examples. For all MY trucks with slot-style MAF's.

MGD

Old 12-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Buddy - again - the revised calibrations are intended for stock intakes only, where the OEM MAF Transfer Function is already known.

There is no way for that OEM MAF TF to accomodate any changes to same that an aftermarket Washoobi will impact. The tuners are quite clear on this point - TP, VMP and PHP - even for '09-'10 trucks.

This forum is full of info related to this. It's the reason even canned tuners include some MAF TF-corrected tunes for selected Washoobi's - Superchips & Diablo as examples. For all MY trucks with slot-style MAF's.

MGD
Yes, I know that they don't compensate for an aftermarket intake. But they didn't come out of the factory with a borderline lean tune like the 04 and 05's. It's still running somewhat lean, but not as bad as the older tunes. It won't trip a CEL on the 06+'s.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Smile

Yes, I know that they don't compensate for an aftermarket intake. But they didn't come out of the factory with a borderline lean tune like the 04 and 05's. It's still running somewhat lean, but not as bad as the older tunes. It won't trip a CEL on the 06+'s.

Interesting?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Rockstar:
That K&N Intake looks good. However I set up my K&N filter directly onto the OEM intake since I bought my 98, and so I never invested in any more intake additions.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Well ... if it means much ... you likely reduced air intake restrictions from what they were when the stock filter and intake tube were in place, and it shines. You have an '07 and there's some evidence no harm will come... and so if your happy, maybe all's well.

Just be ready to clean that MAF sensor.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Well ... if it means much ... you likely reduced air intake restrictions from what they were when the stock filter and intake tube were in place, and it shines. You have an '07 and there's some evidence no harm will come... and so if your happy, maybe all's well.

Just be ready to clean that MAF sensor.
Thats what I thought about the removal of the stock restrictions. But yes I'm happy and have no evidence of any "lean issues".

Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by 98Expedition10
Rockstar:
That K&N Intake looks good. However I set up my K&N filter directly onto the OEM intake since I bought my 98, and so I never invested in any more intake additions.
Thats what a like to hear.... Improvements for cheap

Quick Reply: Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series