Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's not forget though, less restriction=less filteration.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
Let's not forget though, less restriction=less filteration.
Dont you have a aftermarket filter?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar22
Thats what I thought about the removal of the stock restrictions. But yes I'm happy and have no evidence of any "lean issues".
Once again....Are you sure?
Did you get on a dyno and confirm?
If you did....Where's the sheet?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Once again....Are you sure?
Did you get on a dyno and confirm?
If you did....Where the sheet?
No, no dyno yet. As far as how the truck runs I'm happy. Yes, a dyno session is still in the works for all of you haters out there. I will let you know when it happens.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 AM

No, no dyno yet. As far as how the truck runs I'm happy. Yes, a dyno session is still in the works for all of you haters out there. I will let you know when it happens.
Hater?
I'm not that....I'm just trying to show my concern so you don't damage your truck....

The other I'm trying to do is not to lead others down the path that you're taking....

Here's some evidence that a stock 2008 5.4 3v was running lean with with only the Gotts mod being done to the air intake.....that means the MAF was never moved from its stock location....
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ml#post4434157

Just remember....
It's yer truck...
It's yer money...

Last edited by 88racing; 12-22-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 AM
[QUOTE=88racing;4434169]Hater?

The other I'm trying to do is not to lead others down the path that you're taking....

Here's some evidence that a stock 2008 5.4 3v was running lean with with only the Gotts mod being done to the air intake.....that means the MAF was never moved from its stock location....
QUOTE]

What path am I taking? Every setup is differnt depending on peoples mods, so you can't compare mine to anyone elses. Also, even though the Gotts mod showed "some" sign of running lean still doesent account for every other 04-08 F150 out there. (as well as I'm not running a gotts mod) I feel it's a case by case situation and still not enough evidence that I'm gonna "blow my truck up with my warm air intake?

Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 AM

What path am I taking? Every setup is differnt depending on peoples mods, so you can't compare mine to anyone elses. Also, even though the Gotts mod showed "some" sign of running lean still doesent account for every other 04-08 F150 out there. (as well as I'm not running a gotts mod) I feel it's a case by case situation and still not enough evidence that I'm gonna "blow my truck up with my warm air intake?
This has been proven on many many many different makes and models of vehicles with the slot style MAF not just ford f150s with the 5.4 3v....
When relocating out of the stock setting in which the factory calibration for it was tuned for certain tendencies may happen such as a lean condition....

And no its not a case by case situation its been proven by this countries top tuners....call them up and ask them yourself....since you don't believe any of us.

Until you strap it down to a dyno and do some datalogging with a wideband and post up your sheet....I'll be waiting to see the results...make sure the sheet shows the A/F on it.....

Till then TTFN

Old 12-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey whatever makes u happy. I had an old FIPK K&N setup on my truck a while back, which has since been removed, and now have the GOTTS mod. Performance wise I didnt notice any difference but the CAI made the exhaust sound a little better . In terms of filtration when I first put the kit on it ruined my MAF sensor which I blame on the sandy/gritty PHX air. I bought a filter wrap and didnt have a problem from then on until I switched back to the GOTTS. Makes the engine bay look alot prettier so if it works for you then why not? The initial responses were a little harsh (and unnecessary) I think. Just keep your eye on that lean issue 'cause damage from it doesnt happen right away it tends to creep up. Otherwise just sit back and enjoy your truck!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by ParnAZ
Hey whatever makes u happy. I had an old FIPK K&N setup on my truck a while back, which has since been removed, and now have the GOTTS mod. Performance wise I didnt notice any difference but the CAI made the exhaust sound a little better . In terms of filtration when I first put the kit on it ruined my MAF sensor which I blame on the sandy/gritty PHX air. I bought a filter wrap and didnt have a problem from then on until I switched back to the GOTTS. Makes the engine bay look alot prettier so if it works for you then why not? The initial responses were a little harsh (and unnecessary) I think. Just keep your eye on that lean issue 'cause damage from it doesnt happen right away it tends to creep up. Otherwise just sit back and enjoy your truck!
Thanks man for the awesome response. I agree that the original responses were a little overboard. I plan on a dyno session so I can have hard facts for myself. If its lean its lean and I'll go from there. Thanks again for the input

Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 AM
So 88racing...... what is a premium A/F reading.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Did the OP ever consider why he got the thing for such a 'steal'? Perhaps its because these things are useless? If you want to increase airflow to your engine, a simple GOTTS mod and K&N filter, done. Equal, if not better, increase of COLD AIR for at least 100 bucks less, most cases, the filter is the most expensive piece.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl
Did the OP ever consider why he got the thing for such a 'steal'? Perhaps its because these things are useless? If you want to increase airflow to your engine, a simple GOTTS mod and K&N filter, done. Equal, if not better, increase of COLD AIR for at least 100 bucks less, most cases, the filter is the most expensive piece.
Ahhh another hater Let me guess your a expert as well. I DIDNT SAY THE TRUCK DRAGS THE BUMPER BECAUSE OF ALL THE POWER THE K&N ADDED. My engine bay is clean, the part was cheap and I LIKE IT! Oh and as for the "steal" goes I got it so cheap because I pulled it out of a F150 brand new in the box of a rolled F150 in his backyard. He never got to put it in. I'm happy for everyone who has a Gotts setup... More power to you. I just like the clean setup in my engine bay.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 AM
A question for those that know:

Is the lean condition more prominent during WOT, or during the entire range of rpms?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 AM

I was on Craigs List lastnight and found a K&N 77 series intake system BRAND NEW in the box for $280. I looked up the part number listed and found they ranged from $280 to $380. I shot the guy a $150 offer and he's like cool come get it. I just installed it this morning and I'm very happy with the power, ease of installation and sound, oh and of course the price!
I have the same setup on my truck but only $40 tied up in it so far. I need to fab a cold air box before next summer and I want to put an Amsoil filter element on it to. Long term and short term fuel is dead on.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 AM

So 88racing...... what is a premium A/F reading.
High 11s to low 12s above 2000rpms
Below 2000rpm up to 14.3

Not getting any pinging doesn't mean you're not running lean.

Last edited by 88racing; 12-22-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series