Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar22
Ahhh another hater Let me guess your a expert as well. I DIDNT SAY THE TRUCK DRAGS THE BUMPER BECAUSE OF ALL THE POWER THE K&N ADDED. My engine bay is clean, the part was cheap and I LIKE IT! Oh and as for the "steal" goes I got it so cheap because I pulled it out of a F150 brand new in the box of a rolled F150 in his backyard. He never got to put it in. I'm happy for everyone who has a Gotts setup... More power to you. I just like the clean setup in my engine bay.
Rocky, one more warning. Just because someone chimes in with a viewpoint opposite of what you want to hear, they are not haters. We all love the trucks and the purpose of this site is to discuss them and learn. If you do not want to heed advice, that is certainly your perogative, but quit trying to antagonize people with the hater lable. They are just the opposite, and frankly, I'm tired of it.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont you have a aftermarket filter?
Negative. I have ran nothing but stock paper filters in my 2005.

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Rocky, one more warning. Just because someone chimes in with a viewpoint opposite of what you want to hear, they are not haters. We all love the trucks and the purpose of this site is to discuss them and learn. If you do not want to heed advice, that is certainly your perogative, but quit trying to antagonize people with the hater lable. They are just the opposite, and frankly, I'm tired of it.
Jay, by watching how he posts and the general rhetoric used, I would assume he is probably in high school. You're fighting a losing battle.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GTRider245
Negative. I have ran nothing but stock paper filters in my 2005.

Jay, by watching how he posts and the general rhetoric used, I would assume he is probably in high school. You're fighting a losing battle.
We'll see. All depends if he wants to stick around.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes high school my friends.... No, not that far back and no this is not a losing battle. A opinion would be more than accepted by me from the oposition if they were respectful. I see so many senior members on here telling people that lower their trucks are "****", their parts are "cheap", their trucks are "ugly" and so on. I've never seen anybody say hey "how long do you wanna stick around with comments like that". Come on this is all over a CAI? I understand this is a informative site but my thread wasn't titled "give me your opinion if you think this warm air intake is gonna blow my truck up?" It said "lucked out on a K&N. Intake" I know I'm not the only person that feels that way. To many experts on here.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Alex Boby
Just buy a spurcharger. If you are going to keep the truck awile than its not so much of a loss.
Very nice, after a 3/5 drop a charger is in the works!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes high school my friends.... No, not that far back and no this is not a losing battle. A opinion would be more than accepted by me from the oposition if they were respectful. I see so many senior members on here telling people that lower their trucks are "****", their parts are "cheap", their trucks are "ugly" and so on. I've never seen anybody say hey "how long do you wanna stick around with comments like that". Come on this is all over a CAI? I understand this is a informative site but my thread wasn't titled "give me your opinion if you think this warm air intake is gonna blow my truck up?" It said "lucked out on a K&N. Intake" I know I'm not the only person that feels that way. To many experts on here.
Jeez....
Calm down already....
6 months ago when I asked about dropping my truck I got all positive feedback....
I posted in this thread to give you advice in which I did and also I am waiting for your dyno results not to prove you wrong but to feed my curiosity....

Take care....

Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Jeez....
Calm down already....
6 months ago when I asked about dropping my truck I got all positive feedback....
I posted in this thread to give you advice in which I did and also I am waiting for your dyno results not to prove you wrong but to feed my curiosity....

Take care....
I'm all good, its a new day and I'm still alive. I will let everyone know when the dyno comes up. Should be interesting for a lot of people. Hopefully its not lean but it is what it is. I know I can search this but it seems as if you guys know..... whats a awesome tuner I can buy?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm all good, its a new day and I'm still alive. I will let everyone know when the dyno comes up. Should be interesting for a lot of people. Hopefully its not lean but it is what it is. I know I can search this but it seems as if you guys know..... whats a awesome tuner I can buy?
SCT xcal3 from VMP
See link in Sig....

Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
if i found a deal like that on this classified or any where else i would have scoped it up too. Ive been trying to find an AF1 intake but no luck. For now i have the gotts mod but i would pick up a K&N anytime as long as it is cheap

Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2002fx4122
if i found a deal like that on this classified or any where else i would have scoped it up too. Ive been trying to find an AF1 intake but no luck. For now i have the gotts mod but i would pick up a K&N anytime as long as it is cheap
Im always finding good deals on parts. It's all about having the money ready to go when that "cant pass it up deal" shows itself. Im pretty excited to get on the dyno and hopefully see a power increase and what the air/fuel is reading. I've had K&N intakes on all 5 of my vehicles. Never a issue and always great looking.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
i usually have the money ready but the parts arnt close to me, the two biggest towns that i find parts in are both about 150 miles away.
I did get a good deal on a Ford 460 engine im building on craigslist, and ive also sold some parts im not going to reuse on craigslist

Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
This site is for experts to help people that arent as knowlegeable about their trucks....Just because I'm a senior member doesn't mean I know everything...If you post something on this website, you will get opinions on it no matter what; some good, some bad. Just read them and move on, no need to be imature. Now, as for your truck I really like the look of the K&N intake, and congrats on getting it at a low price, but imo (here comes my opinion ^) the Gotts mod would've been better if you were going for performance and not looks. But, on a better note, I hope you enjoy your K&N intake.
P.S. I'm in high school too, you're not the only one

Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
FYi Senior member means squat. It just means you have been here a certain amount of time or hit 100 posts or something. It's nothing to judge a person's knowledge by.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I liked Denver Colorado when I was out there in the late 80's. I was stationed at the Lowry AFB.; which used to be central to Denver on Rt. 70.
Would have made a home there if I had took a teaching position at the Air Force Academy, but I made a serious mistake returning East in 1989.

How is the run up Pikes Peak?. Now that would be a good emissions/exhaust test for a truck. Twenty miles uphill at 10 to 15% grades.
Beautiful Territory.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone is telling you that your CAI can make your engine run lean. I'm going to attempt to explain the reason why. First off, a mass air sensor is a critical component, and one of the most important in the entire engine management system. It's purpose is to accurately determine air flow into the engine. The PCM uses this critical data to determine programmed fuel metering and load parameters. If this critical component is providing erroneous data to the PCM, all engine management calculations will be impacted.

So how does this device work? The sensor itself is a tiny heated wire. Air flow over the wire cools the wire and in doing so is correlated to a voltage signal from .5 v - 5 v. Each voltage signal is calibrated to a given quantity of air being inducted into the engine. The PCM deciphers the voltage signal to the amount of air flow used in the various engine management calculations. The voltage signal data recorded in the PCM's programming is called the transfer function. You may come across this term in your research, if you're doing any.

Prior to the 3v engines, Ford used a mass air meter that had its own tube that was actually part of the meter. Regardless what air tube you put before or after it, it didn't have much affect on how the sensor reacted to air flow, since the tube it was installed in was fixed (i.e. never changed around the sensor). Now sharp bends before or after could potentially impact the direction of the air flow over the sensor wire, which could cause a different reading from the way the transfer function interpreted the signal, so it wasn't entirely fool proof.

So here is what's going on with the 3v MAF sensors. With the newer engines, Ford decided to place the MAF sensor inside of a tube that is now part of the air intake systeme. If you take the sensor out of that tube and place it in a tube of a larger diameter, physics alone will tell you that there is no way it could interpret the air flow in the same manner. Air will flow over the sensor wire slower inside a larger diameter tube. If you want to conduct your own experiment use a regular garden hose. Put a smaller orifice nozzle on the end of the hose and open the valve. Now remove the nozzle and notice the difference in water flow. The same volume of water is coming out of the opening, it just comes out a whole lot faster with the smaller opening.

In effect, the sensor is going to react to a smaller volume of air cooling the heated sensor wire when placed in a larger diameter tube. For example, let's say for a 1.08 v signal, Ford has the PCM calibrated to read that signal as 35 kg/hr of air. But now that the sensor is placed in a larger diameter tube, it may actually be taking 48 kg/hr of air to reach the same voltage. Assume for a minute that for a given throttle position the commanded fuel ratio is 13.2:1. Well if the transfer function is 37% off (48-35 = 8, 8/35 = .37), it's going to command what it thinks is 13.2:1, but in effect will be 18.1:1 (13.2 x 1.37). That my friend is dangerously lean. My example may or may not be as extreme in reality, but it's very unlikely that there will not be a difference throughout the entire rpm range. Adaptive controls can compensate for some minor differences in fuel trims over time, but it cannot compensate for differences as large as this example or even half of that variation.

For the guy that claims to see no changes in short term and long term fuel trims, unless you have the ability to turn off adaptive control in your tune, you cannot make that assumption. Trust me, I've had to build transfer functions from scratch back from data logging when Pro-M was the only game in town.

As to warmer air ingested by the intake, it most definitely impacts the tune. The higher the perceived air temperature of ingested air, the more timing that is removed from the engine. There is a sensor that determines that air temperature and it's an Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. Any programmer that is capable of data logging will allow you to monitor IAT temperatures with whatever intake you desire. I have a hard time believing that an open element CAI is going to have the same temperature than one that draws air from outside the engine compartment. Perhaps that is not as true as the summer temperatures down here in the south, but if you've ever put your hand on any components far from the engine itself within the engine compartment after driving for a few hours, you'll know what I mean.

In any event, this is what all these guys are trying to tell you, but might not understand the logic behind what they've learned. You can take this information with a big chip on your shoulder like all the others if you want, but these are the indisputable facts behind the advise you're being given. Your money, your choice.

Quick Reply: Lucked out on a K&N intake 77 Series