MBRP muffler backwards, bad drone, help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Powerz69

Originally Posted by powerz69
I have a siso MBRP. The sound is great from outside. The drone on the inside at around 1800 rpm almost makes my ears bleed. I had this set up for over a year now and just yesterday I questioned my sanity for not ripping it off earlier. I have also read about the muffler being backwards for some. I will look if I can read the MBRP from the passenger side. Our muffler can only be installed one way unless it was done backwards from factory. I was also thinking of a reasoner up front but never got around to it.
Let me know how yours was installed. If it's the same as mine and others are opposite, that may be a big part of it.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by remaction
To answer Toyz post, the only thing changed was the midpipe, muffler and tailpipe section. I did not do any other mods (i.e. CAI, etc.) and the exhaust is not touching the frame anywhere. However, the stock exhaust has a 2.5" O.D. pipe and this is a 3.5" I.D. pipe. I'm mainly concerned with others results with the same setup to see why some say they have no drone and I have a lot of drone.

Thanks to all for the help.
Holy huge pipe.... sure that wasn't meant for a diesel? lol

Old 12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
Holy huge pipe.... sure that wasn't meant for a diesel? lol
No kidding... They told me that they recently switched to 3" as of Dec 10th. I imagine the smaller diameter may also help keep the drone down from other things I've read.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Well I looked at my muffler and nowhere does it say MBRP on it. I'm very sure its back wards though. I'm going to take it apart and look inside. The drone can be the 3.5 inch pipe before the muffler. Or the exhaust is not flowing with the louvers (normal) but against them causing air disturbance drone (back wards).

Old 12-26-2010, 09:16 PM
the drone on mine isnt bad. when cruising at 70-75 down the highway i can barely hear it. With the radio is turned up like 4 bars i cant hear it. my truck runs at about 2100 rpms at 75.

And who ever it was that said 3 1/2 is huge wasnt joking!! i pulled it out of the box and was shocked then the tip was a 4 incher!!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by remaction
Long story short, I'm going to put a Thrush glasspack in front of the muffler on Tuesday to see what happens. I'll post the success, or lack of, in reducing the drone after Tuesday.
Cured my drone!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by tbear853
Cured my drone!
Do you know what was installed on yours?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Smile

Do you know what was installed on yours?

When I bought the truck August 09 it had a SI/DO Flowmaster catback with a lote of drone. I added a 28" long Thrush Glasspack # 24214 in front of it to act as a resonator. I posted a thread about it and in this one below.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...rone-help.html

Last edited by tbear853; 12-27-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks tbear 853. That's the thread that made me consider adding the Thrush as a resonator.

MBRP is closed today. I think I'll call them in the morning before I have the Thrush added, to see if the muffler should be cut to have the ends swapped to flow the other direction also.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Update

I had the Thrush glasspack installed in front of the muffler today. The MBRP muffler does appear to be non-directional as it appears to be the same no matter which end faces the front or rear. The open end of the raised dimples in the muffler face both the inlet and outlet, changing the direction of the open end of the dimples in the middle of the muffler.

The drone, and muffler tone, are reduced. The drone is not gone completely, but it is much less. Liveable. I may mess around and try adding weight to the muffler somehow, seeing if I can reduce the drone further. Perhaps a piece of steel that has the same curve as the muffler, and use some header tape to cushion the steel plate. I don't know if anyone has tried this, but out of curiosity I'd like to see if it is the muffler resonating, the tailpipe, or whatever.

Perhaps the sounds and drone may change a bit as I get some hours on the glasspack.

I did use a Thrush which has a perforated core. I know there are some glasspacks that have the raised dimples with one end of the dimple open. I assume these would change the sound and tone differently than the perforated core glasspacks, but I don't now for sure.

BTW: the surface rust on the mid-pipe and muffler is after 2 weeks in our Wisconsin winter. This is the 409 stainless.

Muffler inside:

[IMG][/IMG]

Before:

[IMG][/IMG]

After:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by remaction; 12-28-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM

The 3 1/2 inch pipe before the muffler is where I thought the drone was mostly coming from. I bolted 3/4 inch solid bar to mine and it did cut the drone down to the 1800 rpm mark. I'm going to try factory pipe just before the muffler and see what happens.

*** Thanks for the follow up! Thanks to Tbear as well I might go this route as well.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM
The 3 1/2 inch pipe before the muffler is where I thought the drone was mostly coming from. I bolted 3/4 inch solid bar to mine and it did cut the drone down to the 1800 rpm mark. I'm going to try factory pipe just before the muffler and see what happens.

*** Thanks for the follow up! Thanks to Tbear as well I might go this route as well.
To powerz69 - The pipe in front of the muffler could be where some of the drone was coming from. Adding the smaller diameter glasspack cut a good part of the drone down. The Y-tube is just in front of the connection to the mid-pipe, and dumping 2.5" O.D. exhaust gasses right into the 3.5" O.D. pipe could have been contributing to the drone.

I'm thinking the drone that is left may be coming from the muffler. I say this because at one time, I had a magnaflow universal straight thru muffler on this truck, similar to the shape of the MBRP. With everything else stock except the muffler, I had drone similar to the drone that is left in the current MBRP setup. That's why I was wondering if anyone has ever attached weights to the muffler itself, to see if the additional weights, in the right spot, may soften the drone (i.e. 4 smaill weights spaced around the muffler in the middle of the muffler may cut the available resonating difference in half?). I'm just not sure how to best try this. If it did work, I imagine a guy could just JB weld the small weights to the muffler casing.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:24 AM
Or clamp weights using stainless hose clamps.

Factory used weights on the intermediate pipe on my '07 for some reason and my '01 Merc
had weights mounted to both sides at the connection point where the flanges are between
cats and mufflers where my police cars never had weights. Merc had two resonators too.

Glad the front additional glasspack seemed to help. That 3 1/2 inch pipe was adapted after
the two front head pipes from the cats came to a Y and left the Y with 2 1/2" so I doubt
you hurt yourself any with the new glasspack.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-31-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: MBRP muffler backwards, bad drone, help!