Does a gotts mod run lean or not....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does a gotts mod run lean or not....?

Ok folks lets set things straight. I have done a lot of reading over the last few months about the gotts mod air intake modification and have learned many different things about it. It is ok to use it on a truck up to 03. Apparently not on 04 and up because they already run pretty lean especially with a 3 valve engine and this mod would make things tip off the charts causing a run lean issue....Others claim if the truck is 04 and up and a 2 valve engine it will be ok though. I am driving a 2006 f150 4.6 2 valve ...would I run lean or would I need a tuner is my question? I can only see it running lean if the computer cant compensate enough for the little increase in air flow.

I have done the mod and noticed a little increase in take off, but not from a dead stop I mean to pass some one. I haven't had it on long enough to track the fuel consumption nor have I decided if its going to stay on my truck due to the fact I might be running lean....

If anyone could help expand on this subject that would be great.

thanks,

Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
I had the same year/engine that you do now up until 2 months ago when some idiot totalled it by rear-ending me at 50mph while I was stopped at a traffic light. I had first installed the Gotts mod about four years ago and never had any problems what-so-ever. It didn't run lean. As a matter of fact, I was just about to cruise the posts to see if it can be done to my '09 Lariat with the 5.4

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The lean condition is only for the 04 and 05 5.4's. Nothing to worry about with your 4.6.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 PM
The lean condition is only for the 04 and 05 5.4's. Nothing to worry about with your 4.6.
So I would need a tune if I did the gotts mod for my 5.4 3v?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Mike Troyer explained to me that my 2008 5.4 was running lean before I had it tuned by him. I had installed the gotts mod about 2 months before my truck was dyno tuned. I dont have any knowledge in the matter, I am just passing on what he told me.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
No because removing the snorkel doesn't affect the MAF sensor. You won't gain any more than 5 or so horsepower with a tune designed for it, but you won't have any problems without one.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mjvess1985
Mike Troyer explained to me that my 2008 5.4 was running lean before I had it tuned by him. I had installed the gotts mod about 2 months before my truck was dyno tuned. I dont have any knowledge in the matter, I am just passing on what he told me.
Thanx for sharing...

Just goes to show that the 04-05 5.4 3v WERE NOT THE ONLY YEARS TUNED LEAN BY FORD

To anyone else reading this I hope you'll learn from this members post.....

Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Question huh?

previous quotes..

No because removing the snorkel doesn't affect the MAF sensor. You won't gain any more than 5 or so horsepower with a tune designed for it, but you won't have any problems without one.
---------------------------------

Ok first you say the lean condition is just for the 04 and 05 5.4 3 valve and then you turn around and say it doesn't matter, it will be ok with just the mod and that you dont need the tune......please clarify that one for me please.

thanks,

Last edited by countryman777; 12-22-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did the gotts mod to my '04 5.4 3 valve, and personally i don't see where it burns any leaner, and no tune as of yet.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by countryman777
previous quotes..

Ok first you say the lean condition is just for the 04 and 05 5.4 3 valve and then you turn around and say it doesn't matter, it will be ok with just the mod and that you dont need the tune......please clarify that one for me please.

thanks,
Aftermarket intakes cause the already lean conditions to be pushed over the edge and cause a CEL. The Gotts mod won't affect anything because the only thing being changed is the snorkel size. Aftermarket CAI's alter the geometry and all that fancy technical stuff that others can explain better than me. All I know is that the Gotts mod is the safest intake mod that you can do to the F150's.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by countryman777
previous quotes..

thanks
The Gotts mod for the 04+ 5.4 3v SHOULD NOT make the truck run lean....A person who has done this mod knows that the slot style MAF senser IS NOT DISTURBED.....it remains in its ORIGINAL LOCATION......unlike a CAI.

Now the member that posted about his truck running lean while at Mike Troyers could have had a lean tune from the factory....but it has also been shown that airaid MIT kits on these trucks can make them run lean also....these kits don't remove the airbox or relocate the MAF....

If you want a Good quality answer call up one of the tuners to get one....because it seem that they don't frequent the forum much anymore.....

As previously stated you have a 4.6 2v and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Last edited by 88racing; 12-22-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM
I did the mod on my 05 and I'm good, although I still need to do the tube into the fender. Probably should change my sig to 1/2 "Gotts" mod lol

Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
The Gotts mod for the 04+ 5.4 3v SHOULD NOT make the truck run lean....A person who has done this mod knows that the slot style MAF senser IS NOT DISTURBED.....it remains in its ORIGINAL LOCATION......unlike a CAI.

Now the member that posted about his truck running lean while at Mike Troyers could have had a lean tune from the factory....but it has also been shown that airaid MIT kits on these trucks can make them run lean also....these kits don't remove the airbox or relocate the MAF....

If you want a Good quality answer call up one of the tuners to get one....because it seem that they don't frequent the forum much anymore.....

As previously stated you have a 4.6 2v and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Ok sounds good thanks for the help. Although what would happen if I was to remove the silencer in my intake.... Is that just a noise maker or what would that do?

Quick Reply: Does a gotts mod run lean or not....?