Aftermarket intake....filter choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket intake....filter choices

So I bought an AFE stage 2 CAI a few years back for a killer deal and I have grown a bit disappointing in the oiled filter system (similar to how a K&N works). Hate the mess and worried about oil gumming up the MAF and TB. I wanted to look into a dry filter for it so I went to their site. There is actually 3 options for filters for my intake. one is the Pro 5R (which is what came with the intake) it is 5 layers and requires oil. the second is the Pro Guard 7, this filter is the same concept but has 7 layers of mesh for better protection. The third is their Pro Dry S. I thought naturally the Dry one would be right up my alley, however I am a bit concerned that the dry one has only 2 layers of mesh. Is this something I should be concerned about? or should I just make the switch to the dry setup?

Here's a link for you guys to check out the different options. Any input would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...rtno=24-90032&

I may also buy a prefilter from them to help a bit more.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
anybody?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
i have an aem dryflow which is made by k&n. it looks like a similar mesh that afe has.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM
thanks for the info. My main concern is that it has considerably less layers than the oiled filters do. However I assume the mesh design is different. Looking to see if anyone has experience with these and if they are better than the oiled ones.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Im not contributing to your thread, but i would like to see what people have to say b/c im in the market for an intake.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I would check to see if Amsoil has a dry element (nanofiber) for that set up. They might. They have many universals -

http://www.allfilters.net/

Old 12-29-2010, 01:41 AM
I'll check it out. thanks jbrew. Are the Amsoil filters typically better? And do you think it would be wise to switch from the oiled filter to a dry one?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by RackAssasin
Im not contributing to your thread, but i would like to see what people have to say b/c im in the market for an intake.
No worries. For what its worth, I'm very happy with my AFE stage 2 set up. Just don't buy an intake with aluminum tubing.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by 700hauler
I'll check it out. thanks jbrew. Are the Amsoil filters typically better? And do you think it would be wise to switch from the oiled filter to a dry one?
Yes and yes. I ran oiled for years, -believe me, you'll really appreciate a good dry element. I run a dry element with a Volant Intake. That Nanofiber is something else and their not that expensive. It's 100,000 mile plus filter.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yes and yes. I ran oiled for years, -believe me, you'll really appreciate a good dry element. I run a dry element with a Volant Intake. That Nanofiber is something else and their not that expensive. It's 100,000 mile plus filter.
Thanks for the input. I will seriously look into that filter then. I have used K&N in the past and have always made sure not to over oil it, but it seems that with the oiled AFE filter, no matter how little oil you put on it, I still find a crap load of that blue AFE oil at the bottom of the air box, like it doesn't hold in the gauze for some reason. Really makes me nervous as to whether or not its doing its job. I recently re oiled it with K&N oil and it seems to be a bit better. But I think Im going to make the switch here real soon. I will probably get me one of those Amsoil filters if they have the proper dimensions, and also get an outerwear for it. I do a lot of dirt road driving here in Nevada when out hunting and camping etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM
bump.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 AM

Thanks for the input. I will seriously look into that filter then. I have used K&N in the past and have always made sure not to over oil it, but it seems that with the oiled AFE filter, no matter how little oil you put on it, I still find a crap load of that blue AFE oil at the bottom of the air box, like it doesn't hold in the gauze for some reason. Really makes me nervous as to whether or not its doing its job. I recently re oiled it with K&N oil and it seems to be a bit better. But I think Im going to make the switch here real soon. I will probably get me one of those Amsoil filters if they have the proper dimensions, and also get an outerwear for it. I do a lot of dirt road driving here in Nevada when out hunting and camping etc.
Yea, what really impressed me about that Nanofiber is that the dirt/dust doesn't lodge into the media like the OEM dry elements. And I really don't want to even get into the hassle of oiled elements , I did my time, that's for sure lol.

You'll like it.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, what really impressed me about that Nanofiber is that the dirt/dust doesn't lodge into the media like the OEM dry elements. And I really don't want to even get into the hassle of oiled elements , I did my time, that's for sure lol.

You'll like it.
AMEN to that !! I tossed my AF1 CAI last spring for the Gotts mod with a Amsoil Nanofiber panel type and not looking back !!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Im not getting rid of my AFE in favor of the Gotts mod. But I am going to get a dry filter with outerwear.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not getting rid of my AFE in favor of the Gotts mod. But I am going to get a dry filter with outerwear.
The AF1 is not the same as the AFE..different CAI

Quick Reply: Aftermarket intake....filter choices