Airraid TB spacer (yes - I fell for it), but have I damaged something?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010 | 11:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by F150inVA24
Hi Everyone -
Looking for some information here.
First, I will admit that I fell for what seems to be two of the biggest intake issues with the F150 (from my readings on this forum so far) - the Volant CAI and the Airraid TB Spacer.
I had installed many different intakes over the years with no problems on various types of cars and trucks. I fell into the hype and put on the Volant and the fear of blowing my engine apart from going to lean on a hwy drive after the install since there was no word on having to do a ECU Re-map made my head spin. It is going back this week with some strong language to Summit Racing...
I had also installed the Airraid TB spacer on my last truck (a dodge) and it seemed to work well. On my 05' F150 (with 5.4ltr) I did notice the mileage go up quite a bit (about 2.5) on the hwy after the install, but it seemed to come back down and I doubt I gained any performance.
I hadn't driven my truck in about 2 weeks due to work and vacation for the holidays and when I took it into work today and had to do a hard acceleration while highway driving, I felt hesitation - not as bad as when the Volant was on, but it still did stumble a bit.
Could this be the Spacer or maybe that the truck just set for so long while I was gone? Its just not something that I'm used to (only had the truck since 11/26) so I'm still not used to all of the quirks, although it was checked out from stem to stern by a Ford dealership after the Volant intake install and removal, and while the TB spacer was still on the truck.
Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Simplest things to do before the dreaded plug change...
Change fuel filter.
Clean MAF.
Clean the TB.
Redo the battery disconnect with the lights being turned on after the disconnecting....

Old 01-02-2011 | 04:15 PM
|
Well, turns out it was the plugs. I was in a rush (and still wasn't sure what was wrong with the truck) so I took it to my buddy at a ford dealership to diagnose. He said that it was the plugs, and when they pulled them they looked original!! the truck has 123K on it (I just got it) so needless to say, the info in the carfax where a local dealership had been doing the maintenance on it seems a bit sketchy. Regardless, the truck runs great and I just came back from a 350+ mile trip with no issues. Thanks for all of your help guys!!

Quick Reply: Airraid TB spacer (yes - I fell for it), but have I damaged something?