shop wants $500 just to run pipes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010 | 03:08 PM
|
shop wants $500 just to run pipes!

i told him i have both magnapacks, the tips and a X-over and i just need him to hack off the "Y" pipe, replace it with the X-over and run it 45'ed behind the tires and he quoted me $425 + TAX!!!

it took me 10 minutes to explain to him i had the mufflers and all. before he figured it out that i had them he priced it $475 + tax! so he only charged me $50 for 2 mufflers and the rest was all parts then labor...he insisted i come to his shop so i can show him how i wanted the X-over because to him they are useless. i didn't go into detail as to why i wanted it on (we all know why) i just told him i wanted it on. he THEN said, "well, that will be ANOTHER $50 on top of the $425"!!!
oh yeah, he said...im not sure how we can fit your "H" pipe in there because there isn't much room, maybe 4-5 inches!!

needles to say, i wont be going to him! i just thought i would share my experience trying to get a decent exhaust put on my truck. AND he doesn't have a mandrel bender...HA!

Old 12-29-2010 | 03:50 PM
yea if he wants to charge you some bull**** price like that with knowledge he seams to lack then yep i wouldn't be goin there either

Old 12-29-2010 | 03:58 PM
Mine was $250 out the door for SS 409. They provided 2~10 ft sticks of 2.5" piping which was $100 apiece and $48 for the labor. One 10 ft stick of SS 304 was $262.

Old 12-29-2010 | 04:05 PM
I don't know if it's the economy or what, but the overall quality of any kind of automotive shops these days are going straight down. Good luck finding a shop that knows what they are doing and doesn't want your soul just for some pipes.

Old 12-29-2010 | 04:26 PM
|
tell me about it!
i can get "aluminized" pipe exhaust setup (or whatever they call it) for $200 from another shop but PA salted roads would have it rotten in 2 years. im almost thinking of buying the pipe and doing it myself. i have the welder and my friend has a pipe bender. i was just hoping to find someone with a mandrel bender.

so two 10FT sticks of SS would be enough to do my entire exhaust?

i already have this exhaust on it:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17417/?rtype=10

the pipes AFTER the muffler should be 2.5 inch right (on the flowmaster exhaust i have on it now)? what if i just take out the muffler and run the dual magnapack's and X-over myself? then i would already have the pipes bent over the axle and such and i can just cut them where i want to and 45 em behind the tires?
i have already "borrowed" a couple pictures of the X-over from member's on here so it shouldn't be hard.

it looks like i would just need a 90, a little section for the left. and a straight section for the right, am i correct?

Old 12-30-2010 | 05:50 PM
^interesting. I'll be waiting to see if 20ft is enough to do a whole true dual system. I'm right at that point right now and trying to figure out how much do I need. Keep us posted.

Old 12-30-2010 | 06:34 PM
|
i might re-use the pipes from my cat back on the truck now so i will need much less.
20FT just might be enough but not sure.

Old 12-30-2010 | 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by 88rxn/a
tell me about it!
i can get "aluminized" pipe exhaust setup (or whatever they call it) for $200 from another shop but PA salted roads would have it rotten in 2 years. im almost thinking of buying the pipe and doing it myself. i have the welder and my friend has a pipe bender. i was just hoping to find someone with a mandrel bender.

the pipes AFTER the muffler should be 2.5 inch right (on the flowmaster exhaust i have on it now)? what if i just take out the muffler and run the dual magnapack's and X-over myself? then i would already have the pipes bent over the axle and such and i can just cut them where i want to and 45 em behind the tires?
i have already "borrowed" a couple pictures of the X-over from member's on here so it shouldn't be hard.

it looks like i would just need a 90, a little section for the left. and a straight section for the right, am i correct?
That's what I want to do to mine. Where did you get it? I want true duals with an x pipe. I found chambered pipe mufflers that are like the old corvette side exhaust.

Old 12-30-2010 | 09:57 PM
tell me about it!

Great Looking Pic

The shop that did that work charged me $415 for Install.. I purchased the Tips, Mufflers, X-Pipe, High Flows.. they did all the bending and welding, hanging blah.. Price ended up being more than the original quote.. but It sounded so good, I ran with it.

Old 12-30-2010 | 10:27 PM
Thanx I'll have to do some shopping around here then. All I need to do is pick up the mufflers and X pipe. I want the exhaust to exit out the side since the cats muffle enuff.

Old 12-30-2010 | 10:31 PM
Truck of the Month
i paid upwards 500 for t304, and i went with it because i got to jump into the pit and help the guy with the tip alignment, double check the seams on the welding etc etc plus they begged me for a tip (money tip) i figured what the hell these poor basterds are that hungry, ill give it to em...mandrel bended and everything and i just wanted to be all over with it.....i had to get em to order two sticks of 2.5" SS t304 and 1 of 3" all 10'

Old 12-30-2010 | 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by fine_style150
i paid upwards 500 for t304, and i went with it because i got to jump into the pit and help the guy with the tip alignment, double check the seams on the welding etc etc plus they begged me for a tip (money tip) i figured what the hell these poor basterds are that hungry, ill give it to em...mandrel bended and everything and i just wanted to be all over with it.....i had to get em to order two sticks of 2.5" SS t304 and 1 of 3" all 10'
That would actually be a reasonable price for 304 stainless and mandrel bends if it were true duals.

Old 12-30-2010 | 11:09 PM
A little more than 2~10 ft sticks. The had some left over from another job (about 2-3 ft) and didn't charge me for it.

Old 12-30-2010 | 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i told him i have both magnapacks, the tips and a X-over and i just need him to hack off the "Y" pipe, replace it with the X-over and run it 45'ed behind the tires and he quoted me $425 + TAX!!!

it took me 10 minutes to explain to him i had the mufflers and all. before he figured it out that i had them he priced it $475 + tax! so he only charged me $50 for 2 mufflers and the rest was all parts then labor...he insisted i come to his shop so i can show him how i wanted the X-over because to him they are useless. i didn't go into detail as to why i wanted it on (we all know why) i just told him i wanted it on. he THEN said, "well, that will be ANOTHER $50 on top of the $425"!!!
oh yeah, he said...im not sure how we can fit your "H" pipe in there because there isn't much room, maybe 4-5 inches!!

needles to say, i wont be going to him! i just thought i would share my experience trying to get a decent exhaust put on my truck. AND he doesn't have a mandrel bender...HA!
I hate those type of bastard shops.....

You're doing the right thing by not going there....

Old 12-31-2010 | 12:11 AM
It is simple...he simply did not want to do the work.

Quick Reply: shop wants $500 just to run pipes!