Highway drone is driving me nuts...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@avfrog- you seem to be the only one who thinks so, have you tried this? I never noticed any gain in power or mpg with the exhaust anyhow, which was a bit of a disappointment. The point, since you asked, is a simple and inexpensive attempt to solve an issue before doing any cutting of the banks system. That way if I do decide to go in a different direction, I can still sell the Banks. I'm sure it's just fine for some, I lived with it for 3 years.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Colnel, I hadn't really given that any consideration. Are you in the Southern PA area? Shipping would be a pain.
I'm not sure what it'd be worth if I did decide to sell it.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM
I have the Banks on my 2010 truck and it's super quiet on the highway.. Are you sure the muffler isn't installed backwards? You should be able to read the words "BANKS" from the passenger side.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I have the Banks single, so I am sure there is a difference. My muffler is round, so the letters could be anywhere depending on how the muffler is rotated. In my case, they are facing the ground.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I do appreciate the input. I will see how the chambered muffler works out for me. It's interesting how many different viewpoints there are, but I guess that shouldn't surprise me.
The guy at Magnaflow seemd to think that there would be less drone at highway speeds with the chambered muffler, so I am hoping he knows his product.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by goinpostol
I have the Banks single, so I am sure there is a difference. My muffler is round, so the letters could be anywhere depending on how the muffler is rotated. In my case, they are facing the ground.
My muffler is also round.. I'm talking about the way the words on the muffler are facing.. If you look at the muffler from the passenger side then the letter B on Banks should be to the rear of the truck so the word is legible from left to right and not backwards..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
That is how the letters are oriented. You had me questioning myself for a minute there.
It's been three years since I put it on, but I am borderline obsessive when it comes to stuff like that.
This was far from my first exhaust install, and I remember there being some type of label for inlet/outlet.
Thanks for the tip though.
Your sig says that you have the dual exhaust, maybe that's the difference?

Last edited by goinpostol; 01-05-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I have an 18 inch SI/SO Magnaflow and there is very little drone at highway speeds. It is only slightly louder than stock but has a deeper tone.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM
i have a magnaflow 14" on stock piping with no drone except under heavy load like pulling my boat up a hill. my intake is louder than my exhaust haha

Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by avfrog
^ That will sound like stock, and perform like stock. What was the point?
Originally Posted by goinpostol
@avfrog- you seem to be the only one who thinks so,
My current system is very quiet in the cab now, much quieter than it was when purchased when it just had the one SI/DO muffler and before I added the second muffler, a glasspack, ahead of it.

I can still hear it inside, it's a pleasant tone or rythum, but the extremely annoying drone is gone ..... thank goodness.

However, standing on the roadside as it passes, it is still louder than stock. It's a pleasant tone, not a harsh "racket" as seems preferred by some other owners in my area.

All of my past performance cars retained stock mufflers, my '65 GTO, my '67 Chevelle SS, my '69 Dodge Dart Swinger 340.

One of the sweetest sounding cars I ever heard was my parents 1968 Plymouth Satelite Sport Wagon with 383 4bbl and dual exhaust with tips that exited to the side at the rear bumper. Mufflers were same exact ones as came on a RR or GTX. That thing "ROCKED".

There was no drone, just a "song".

We still had it when I started driving, it sounded better than any vehicle I've owned since except maybe the Dart Swinger which had simular mufflers.

When I was young and cruising looking for a race, etc in those days there were guys with "Purple Hornies" and Thrush header mufflers and straight pipes and glasspacks that rattled windows ..... sounded like crap then too.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I think I have owned one, maybe two cars that had stock exhausts. I definitely do not mind a loud exhaust, just not one that drones beyond being able to talk at a normal level. My '02 Vette was by far my favorite- Dynotech long tubes, high flow cats, x-pipe and Corsa Indy rear section. It was LOUD at full throttle, awesome at idle, but more reasonable than this truck at 70mph.
And that was a 700hp car...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Well, It seems as though attempt no.1 was not the answer. I cannot believe how similar the Magnaflow chambered muffler sounds to the Banks. The difference is barely perceivable.
I don't have high hopes, but we'll see what i's like on the way to work tomorrow.
The mission continues...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Set it back to stock. If I would have seen this thread earlier, I could have persuaded you not to buy Magnaflow's bastard mufflers.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Set it back to stock. If I would have seen this thread earlier, I could have persuaded you not to buy Magnaflow's bastard mufflers.
Interesting take on things- don't you have them on your truck?

I'm not ready to go back to stock, that just isn't me.

What I should have done was just bought a Corsa system from the get go, now I don't even think they make the same exhausts any more.

I may go the resonator direction, or just sell the Banks/Magnaflow and get something else. Maybe a true Magnaflow SI/SO system.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have their terrible chambered mufflers. I don't even recognize them as "true" Magnaflow mufflers. Either buy a long oval body Magnaflow, or a long oval body Borla. I'm doubting that anything but stock will surpass your drone tolerance. 1800 RPM's on these trucks is where it will always drone, no reasonable way around it.

Quick Reply: Highway drone is driving me nuts...HELP!