Highway drone is driving me nuts...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do the magnaflow systems drone just as bad? So many others are happy with their stuff.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a reasonable level of noise at normal cruise speeds.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just don't see (hear) how that HUGE Banks muffler can cause highway drone when my tiny little Roush Off Road muffler (approx. 3.5"x9"x9.5") causes no drone whatsoever.

I guess drone to one person is music to another person's ears.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by goinpostol
So do the magnaflow systems drone just as bad? So many others are happy with their stuff.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a reasonable level of noise at normal cruise speeds.
You bought a chambered muffler. Chambered mufflers drone a lot (plus they sound terrible). You should have bought a non-chambered Magnaflow that was the same dimension.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM
That's exactly the opposite of what the tech support guy at Magnaflow told me. It doesn't sound bad at all, but it does seem to drone.
I could have ordered anything, I ordered the chambered based on what I was told.
The larger oval muffler seems to be the most popular choice, but requires cutting.
I was trying to avoid that, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM
So do you really expect not to have any drone? How is that possible?

I have an oval Magnaflow 2.5 SISO and it is probably the cleanest sound I have heard. On the highway at 70mph It isn't loud and minimal drone.
The Chambered muffler is VIBRATION. That will carry into the cab.

Last edited by HamboneFX4; 01-07-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You're going to have drone with that as well. Don't cut up that Banks system, it'll be worthless after that. What you need to do is put a straight through Magnaflow muffler on your stock system.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I went from a FM 50 (race series, not SUV) to a Magnaflow 22" long X4X2.5 and then to the one I'm running now,Magnaflow 20"x9x2.5.

I made the last swap hoping for a little more torque, but hell, I can't tell lol.

Anyway, the 50 series got annoying after awhile- @ cruising speeds. The first Magnaflow wasn't annoying, but you could hear it. The one I'm running now I don't hear unless I'm on the power, -nice deep growl.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Well, today's drive in to work will help me decide what to do.
I guess if it's still unbearable, I'll see if anyone wants to buy this exhaust and move on to the next.
The majority seem to think that an oval Magnaflow of larger dimension will make a huge difference, as did Mgnaflow, so I guess that's plan B.
I'm not expecting NO drone, but this is a bit much. I have dealt with it for over 3 years now, for some reason it's just gotten to me lately. I drive 80 miles to and from work everyday, so I do what I can to make it comfortable and enjoyable, thus the King Ranch...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 AM
What ever you do, don't hack up that Banks kit. Sell it and buy a non XL Magnaflow muffler, then weld that to your stock kit.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chambered Magnaflow oh why would you.. Unless you won't mind a stock sound you made a good purchase. The 18" body SI/SO would have been your winner for sound and no drone.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Well, after the drive in I will say that the noise level @ 65-70mph is noticeably lower. Odd, because it's just as loud everywhere else.
Anyone who thinks that a chambered Magnaflow is going to sound like stock has never heard one, it's not even close. My reason for buying it in the first place was based on a recommendation from Magnaflow. It is an 18" body, SI/SO bullet muffler, very similar to the Banks muffler, so maybe you guys are thinking of something else?
It really doesn't sound much different from the Banks at all. Not sure why everyone is so against chambered mufflers here, I don't notice that much of a difference. The sound is nothing like a Flowmaster chambered muffler, if that's what you guys are thinking.
I believe that Corsa's RSC mufflers are chambered, and to me there is no better sounding exhaust.
Wish I would have just gone that route to begin with, but this was a gift...
Thanks for all the help and input, that is why I am a member of this forum.
So many varying opinions in one place...

Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Punisher, I have no intention of cutting up the Banks. I will give this some time and see if it wears on me, and if it does I will sell the Banks and move on. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a Corsa!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I still think the best sounds, the most pleasant tones come from a muffler with ... some baffling or chambers ... and some packing around a perforated tube through which the hot gases pass ... as each type of muffling device attenuates a different part of the sound.

And my trucks SI/DO Flowmaster 40 with the glass pack ahead of it is great ....

Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
So when did Magnaflow start making Chambered ? Is this new ? Sorry, just never heard of it, until now anyway.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
So when did Magnaflow start making Chambered ? Is this new ? Sorry, just never heard of it, until now anyway.
I don't know, but I've known about them for about a year now. I doubt they sell many at all.

Quick Reply: Highway drone is driving me nuts...HELP!