shorty headers on my 99 f150 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool shorty headers on my 99 f150 5.4L

i have searched and searched for info on the set up i want but i cant seem to find it.
ok i have a 1999 f150 with the 5,4l engine and i have a cracked exhaust manifold and cat and is very annoying and i am now working at a car shop where i can do my own work easily. i have 210k miles and it is running strong i took my heads off and they were very clean for having 200k miles no sludge at all.
what i want to do is get some shorty headers and get some new cats and i will not be putting on the pre-cats just hiflow ones and then jus run the pipe out the back of my truck with no muffler. right now i dont have a muffler and i have it where it dumps the exhaust right before the rear end. and i want 3in headers,cats and pipes. the only problem i have is having 3in it might not be enough bakpressure in the system and will lose performance. i am not doing this for performance although it is a plus but mainly for a deeper louder sound. i would go no cats but i still want to pass inspection. but i get it done illegally anyways so that doesnt really matter. oh and the other thing is i cant seem to find out if the shorty headers has a egr outlet or not. and i would put on lt headers but i dont think i can put them on without lifting the motor. i do custom tunes on my truck and have k&n cold air intake.
plz let me know what u think and any advise u have before i do this.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:02 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nolimit5869
i have searched and searched for info on the set up i want but i cant seem to find it.
ok i have a 1999 f150 with the 5,4l engine and i have a cracked exhaust manifold and cat and is very annoying and i am now working at a car shop where i can do my own work easily. i have 210k miles and it is running strong i took my heads off and they were very clean for having 200k miles no sludge at all.
what i want to do is get some shorty headers and get some new cats and i will not be putting on the pre-cats just hiflow ones and then jus run the pipe out the back of my truck with no muffler. right now i dont have a muffler and i have it where it dumps the exhaust right before the rear end. and i want 3in headers,cats and pipes. the only problem i have is having 3in it might not be enough bakpressure in the system and will lose performance. i am not doing this for performance although it is a plus but mainly for a deeper louder sound. i would go no cats but i still want to pass inspection. but i get it done illegally anyways so that doesnt really matter. oh and the other thing is i cant seem to find out if the shorty headers has a egr outlet or not. and i would put on lt headers but i dont think i can put them on without lifting the motor. i do custom tunes on my truck and have k&n cold air intake.
plz let me know what u think and any advise u have before i do this.

so you have a hot air intake, you want to waste your time and money installing shorty headers

you have the heads off the motor and you are probably planning on re-installing them without porting them or changing the valve springs...

Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I have a 99 5.4 too and please take our advice, shorty headers will do nothing for you. I have pacesetters long tube headers on my truck and have a 2.5 true dual setup. I have the magnaflow muffler DI/DO with a x pipe built into the muffler... you will gain soooo much more top end, as well as noticable low to mid end power. Getting the cat. converter behind the drivers side header is a little tricky but can be done. Also since you have a 99, you have the aluminum intake manifold, pull that off and get your dremel tool out and port match the gaskets and smooth the casting out.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 PM
i did read the guide.
and my heads r already bak on and truck is running fine i did that a month ago thats when i found out that i have a cracked manifold but didnt have the funds to get headers so i put it bak on
i didnt port the heads or anything i jus cleaned them up witch i didnt need to cause they didnt even look worn at all.
but how hard is it to but lt headers on i dont see how i can get them in place without lifting the motor or takin the heads bak off. i was doin shortys instead of putting stock manifolds on. and if i did get lt headers would i be able to get a 3inch collector without losing power cause i know too lil back pressure will cause power loss. i jus love the sound of the 3inch. and i have K&N cold air intake. unless the K&N lied and its a hot air intake

Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
so you have a hot air intake, you want to waste your time and money installing shorty headers

you have the heads off the motor and you are probably planning on re-installing them without porting them or changing the valve springs...

yea i did port or change the springs but i am planning on getting it rebuilt in a year thats when i will get that stuff done(i am turning it into a stroker)

Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
one more thing do i have to put the cats right behind the headers? i know i will just have to move the o2 sensor further bak but i want to put exhaust cutouts before the cats so i can run catless whenever i want

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
where's that ignore button at...

Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Hahaha

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Strike 2!

Quick Reply: shorty headers on my 99 f150 5.4L