longtube headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longtube headers

Looking for a set of longtube Headers for my 5.4L 3valve F150. What is the best out there. Willing to spend the money on the best set of headers that will make some power and torque. I tow a camper and enclosed trailer, so need the torque as well as the HP. Also is a tune required for longtube headers? If so where can this be done at?

Last edited by wyattboche; 01-14-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Dynatech would probably be the best/expensive
OBX longtubes are a replica and half to a third of the price

Go true dual or don't bother doing headers
Something like Dynatech Long Tubes, Magnaflow X Pipe, 2 Magnapacks, 2 4" tips would run you somewhere around $1500-1600 before install

It does not require a tune, but highly recommended, check out power hungry performance, they're top notch. Most places like this one will take about a month or two for a custom tune.

Consider electric fans, underdrive pulleys etc

Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 PM
^^bump everything he said except for one thing, the magnapacks. Sounds like he does a bit of towing and exiting out the rear blasting off what hes pulling could get very annoying very quick! Or no? This is just my thought, you have the setup on your truck so you will know best in the end from personal experience BLFX4K!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Guy sounds like he doesn't have worries about spending money and paying the price so if he wants another setup he sure can do it.

It's totally up to him and were just here to offer help. He could always run an oval body 18" muffler or 22" muffler with long tubes, I would recommend that cause it should be more bearable on the long hauls.

My 45'd out the back tips dont bother me whilst towing anything. Straight out the back would resonate off the trailer, camper etc. I prefer my 45'd tips because they don't echo off of what im towing, it echos of peoples cars, walls, etc;

Just the other day some lil old lady plugged her eyes as I drove by, quite a funny scene as I was just cruising through the gears

Old 01-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Not necessarily have the money. Just looking for a really nice set of headers to make it breath alot better. Would like ceramic coated headers but not necessary have to have them. I currently have the 80mm BBK throttle body with K&N CAI with a single flowmaster muffler(3") with a superchip programer. I had dual catback exhaust(2.5") no muffler with 2- 90 degree tips behind the rear tires. When I pulled the camper I just didn't have the power but alot of noise. Put back on the flowmaster muffler seemed to give me some power back. Just looking to free up some needed power and torque.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by BLFX4K
Consider electric fans, underdrive pulleys etc
I have been reading about these Efans. Not really big on electric fans unless the mechanical clutch fan can't keep up. Then I'll install them. Unless someone can prove to me that they can cool the truck down with 2 fans. Is it easy to install?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
long tubes and an H-ppe since the OP is towing, and he needs to keep his pipes 2.25 or 2.5 inch diameter and a tow tune won't hurt anything

Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by wyattboche
I have been reading about these Efans. Not really big on electric fans unless the mechanical clutch fan can't keep up. Then I'll install them. Unless someone can prove to me that they can cool the truck down with 2 fans. Is it easy to install?
The fans aren't bad to install. It took me about a whole Saturday to do it with a few trips to the hardware. I used Ls1 fans and a cheaper autozone Hayden controller. Works flawless in our insane Texas heat and keeps my truck cool! Is that good proof? Lol

Do you spend a lot of time out of o/d while towing or nothing that heavy?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by wyattboche
2010s possibly 2009s have e-fans didnt know till i popped the hood one day and said hmmm thats different ford must feel confident that itll keep it cool if they put e-fans on newer models

Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Efans are must I think for these trucks

Setup the controllers and an on/off switch if they ever fail

Makes me constantly monitor my temps for the just in case moment anything fails

I've gone through a few feet of water without any problems, at slow speed and romping it through some flooded areas

The fans aren't a hard install, the removal of the clutch fan was the hardest part, its on there real tight so make sure you have the right tools for the job!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So many options... If your going to tow a lot, and your not looking for max high rpm, then go with a 2.25 duals with an X or H pipe. Then the straight threw mufflers of your choice.

You must tune to take full advantage of your LTs.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
LT's FTW!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Anyone have any links for some lt's?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM
search obx long tube headers under sparkteckmotorsports
dynatech long tube headers
pacesetter headers
theres plenty more

Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Those OBX long tube headers from Sparkteck motorsports are some nice units. So if I install those headers and with my mods in my sig. Would I need a custom tune? What kind of tune would be required, and where would I go about geting one?

Quick Reply: longtube headers