01 5.4 4x4 long tube header options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarajerame
because they aren't forged, and as I posted earlier they are the same poweder cast CRAPPY rods as everyother 2 valve 5.4 truck has

and $1100 (for better rods, new gaskets, bearings, timing chains and all) for piece of mind is cheaper than a new motor down the road...
I see, thanks for the advice..

Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 AM
OK so back to the header question-I go back and forth constantly with this debate...- pace setter vs obx..... for the price of obx ss headers, i could buy a set of pace setters and have them ceramic coating inside and out for about the same price. And from what i've read the ceramic will resist elements better then the stainless steel. Also the obx only comes with a 2.5" collector,whereas the pace setters come with 3" collectors which would match what I have now-hi flow cats etc... hmmmmmmmmmmm........... what to do....

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SupercrewLightn
OK so back to the header question-I go back and forth constantly with this debate...- pace setter vs obx..... for the price of obx ss headers, i could buy a set of pace setters and have them ceramic coating inside and out for about the same price. And from what i've read the ceramic will resist elements better then the stainless steel. Also the obx only comes with a 2.5" collector,whereas the pace setters come with 3" collectors which would match what I have now-hi flow cats etc... hmmmmmmmmmmm........... what to do....
If you go with OBX and if you get the chance , - Compare header length with your old Pacesetters. Pace setters are longer, -I'm just not sure how much. I'm also curious how the bends differ, -Primaries.

I don't have a problem with Pacesetters. But, - their so damn long I had to cut out the converter sleeves and weld in 3" ID sleeves. It wasn't that bad, -tight fit on a 4x4. - I mean, working from the header back (drivers side) RIGHT AFTER the cat, you need to make tight mandrel left to fit in that litlle space between trans and transfer case.

I hate these Y's. Wish you could run them straight back , like the Stangs.

Good luck, - take some pics , definitely vids ,- we gotta hear it when your done.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
If you go with OBX and if you get the chance , - Compare header length with your old Pacesetters. Pace setters are longer, -I'm just not sure how much. I'm also curious how the bends differ, -Primaries.

I don't have a problem with Pacesetters. But, - their so damn long I had to cut out the converter sleeves and weld in 3" ID sleeves. It wasn't that bad, -tight fit on a 4x4. - I mean, working from the header back (drivers side) RIGHT AFTER the cat, you need to make tight mandrel left to fit in that litlle space between trans and transfer case.

I hate these Y's. Wish you could run them straight back , like the Stangs.

Good luck, - take some pics , definitely vids ,- we gotta hear it when your done.
I agree with the Y's! It would be so stinkin nice to have a little more room to work with down there.. the more I think about it the more I lean towards ceramic coated pace setters. The only problem I really have with em is that they are rusted out and poor fitment which I believe was installer error.. I mean I would have sent em back and got a pair that fit right.. if the obx had a bigger collector I would say its a no brainer. But I want to keep as much as my system as I have because its all in good shape except the headers.. and yes I will post vids as soon as I git r done!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

I'd stick w/2.5 inch piping. Believe or not, -2five collectors will out flow 3" for close to stock applications. 3" will nibble on the low end as well (torque) . You won't necessarily "loose" , but you will push gains a little further up into the RPMS. How Much ? I don't know. theoretically not good, -if your looking for more usable Torque/ HP. I do know you don't want exhaust gases dieing the pipes..

If your plans call for forced induction, nitrous, blower, or turbo down the road, then you're going to need the benefit of the larger diameter piping.

There's guy pushing 400 HP, still satisfied with 2.5's. I reduced on the backside of the converters , - 2.5". I really didn't know what to expect at first lol. I could tell she had a little more, specially towing.- Depends on your plans for the future I guess.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You talkin about me Jbrew? 436 on the dyno

Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I'd stick w/2.5 inch piping. Believe or not, -2five collectors will out flow 3" for close to stock applications. 3" will nibble on the low end as well (torque) . You won't necessarily "loose" , but you will push gains a little further up into the RPMS. How Much ? I don't know. theoretically not good, -if your looking for more usable Torque/ HP. I do know you don't want exhaust gases dieing the pipes..

If your plans call for forced induction, nitrous, blower, or turbo down the road, then you're going to need the benefit of the larger diameter piping.

There's guy pushing 400 HP, still satisfied with 2.5's. I reduced on the backside of the converters , - 2.5". I really didn't know what to expect at first lol. I could tell she had a little more, specially towing.- Depends on your plans for the future I guess.
Thanks for all the input Jbrew! Believe it or not I've actually. already got a magnacharger blower, bigger injectors,cai, etc.. runnin in the neighborhood of 400+ HP and right now I'm in the process of ordering tunes and programmer from VMP.. sooo I think dual 3" might just fit nicely..

Old 02-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by SupercrewLightn
Thanks for all the input Jbrew! Believe it or not I've actually. already got a magnacharger blower, bigger injectors,cai, etc.. runnin in the neighborhood of 400+ HP and right now I'm in the process of ordering tunes and programmer from VMP.. sooo I think dual 3" might just fit nicely..
Oh shoot! I guess I missed that :o But yea, - knock the wana be header system off that engine and call it good.

Then again, Iduno ?? - If you get enough rust, corrosion and foreign matter contaminating that set of headers, - this could help with heat transfer..

I mean that in a good way off course.

Yea, not the bad way. Not like Klitches first tune after swapping in that badass built 5four. I think his Mom almost called the fire department.. Maybe you can get him to that VID.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Oh shoot! I guess I missed that :o But yea, - knock the wana be header system off that engine and call it good.

Then again, Iduno ?? - If you get enough rust, corrosion and foreign matter contaminating that set of headers, - this could help with heat transfer..

I mean that in a good way off course.

Yea, not the bad way. Not like Klitches first tune after swapping in that badass built 5four. I think his Mom almost called the fire department.. Maybe you can get him to that VID.

Yeah I actually ran it straight piped for a day and HOLY CRAP it was loud!! so i talked to my exhaust guy today and I can only fit smaller mufflers in there since I am going duals. I love my 22" magnaflow thats on there now but i need to get em down to about 14" to fit nicely. Suggestions? I want deep, not raspy or poppy, but a real muscle car tone.. youtube here i come

Old 02-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Yea I bet that was loud lol. -Another option might be going with a single. I've read on this forum recently, Troyer worked one in for someone. You know, duel in duel out. Your truck would sound good with just about any muffler lol.

Just a thought, yea, you don't necessarily NEED duel mufflers w/duel pipes. Even blown.

I can't recall the user that just went with a single muffler for his set up. He's at 500hp + I believe. Some of you might know him, his sig pic is usually posted, -owns a green 2wd Ford. In the pic he's standing in the forefront, arms crossed, -trucks smoking the tires in the background.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Yea I bet that was loud lol. -Another option might be going with a single. I've read on this forum recently, Troyer worked one in for someone. You know, duel in duel out. Your truck would sound good with just about any muffler lol.

Just a thought, yea, you don't necessarily NEED duel mufflers w/duel pipes. Even blown.

I can't recall the user that just went with a single muffler for his set up. He's at 500hp + I believe. Some of you might know him, his sig pic is usually posted, -owns a green 2wd Ford. In the pic he's standing in the forefront, arms crossed, -trucks smoking the tires in the background.
Yeah thats definitely an option.. I have been lookin at the borla 14" pro xs along with an x pipe.. I think that would sound really good, everyone seems to like the borla stuff, very similar sound to the magnaflow which i like! Do you think that would be LOUD? Because I do pull trailers frequently and I don't want loud drone...

Old 02-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Drone, - You have judge that with what you have run in the past IMO. Your engine @ cruising speeds or if you use 3rd on the e-way. Drone gets old quick, I know. I've only had problems with drone when I ran a Flowbastid. That was quickly handled when I upgraded to a Magnaflow. I've run two different Magnaflow's, a 22"x 4"x 2.5 and a 20"x 9"x 2.5". Neither had a drone issue. The Flowbastid was a 50 race series which sounded great at the low end, but yea, drone @ cruising speeds.

IMO, if you stick with Magnaflow or even better, go with the best, = Borla, you'll get the results your looking for. I don't think Borla has been beat on the Dyno and all around sound. Their NOT crazy loud lol. They have that awesome deep sound/tone.

Magnaflow's have that sound as well, as you know. You tube to preference lol. My next will be Borla.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Drone, - You have judge that with what you have run in the past IMO. Your engine @ cruising speeds or if you use 3rd on the e-way. Drone gets old quick, I know. I've only had problems with drone when I ran a Flowbastid. That was quickly handled when I upgraded to a Magnaflow. I've run two different Magnaflow's, a 22"x 4"x 2.5 and a 20"x 9"x 2.5". Neither had a drone issue. The Flowbastid was a 50 race series which sounded great at the low end, but yea, drone @ cruising speeds.

IMO, if you stick with Magnaflow or even better, go with the best, = Borla, you'll get the results your looking for. I don't think Borla has been beat on the Dyno and all around sound. Their NOT crazy loud lol. They have that awesome deep sound/tone.

Magnaflow's have that sound as well, as you know. You tube to preference lol. My next will be Borla.
Yeah I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the borlas. Aaand they are slighty cheaper then the maggies which is very cool! I checked the magnaflow I have now has gone up like twenty bucks in the last year.. Must be catching on.. The only real concern I have is going to a 14" body as opposed so a 22 which I have now. It seems that it wouldn't have as deep of a tone, but the X pipe will prolly help the tone out. I have looked all over the net about the benefits of an x pipe, and overall it seems positive. Trying to replicate my truck on youtube is kind of challenging but it seems that what i've been able to find with the borlas I really like.. Jbrew, whats your personal opinion on X pipes?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 PM

+1 for X-pipes. I don't run one personally, yet! Will for my next system for sure. Actually my next engine will be blown, and from a lightning doner. Unless I find a NEW 03 sitting in someones garage for sale, like this one was, -

Overall and from what I've read X pipes compliment your system in every way. I believe Mustangs still use the "H" vs the "X". I can't recall reasoning behind that, - just that there is one. It might be a placement deal, since the Stangs run it further up. I would have to self educate a little, -there was something about the "X" with certain systems. (?) Maybe it had to do with low end and tuning. (?) Other than that, I've never heard any complaints other than material used and rusting. If that's a worry, T304 would be best. But yea, I think you'll be alright, just that ,you might want to ask around from a performance standpoint since I don't have a definitive answer. Also I guess another question would be,- will an X cause a possible "drone" issue and do I really need it ? Since you pull a trailer often, it would be worth looking into.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 AM
So i have decided on an x pipe, borla pro xs dual 3" all the way and 45'd out the back

Quick Reply: 01 5.4 4x4 long tube header options?