Looking for a new muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011 | 10:08 PM
|
Nice thanks. So how is the idle, rev, get up, and cruising with the 18". Do you have a tip?

Old 02-07-2011 | 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by pwheels
I have a 09 FX4 5.4l and I am looking to replace the stock muffler. I don't know much about mufflers or exhaust at all. I've done some searching around and couldn't find much but I am looking to make my truck sound a little more mean. I'm looking for sound more than performance. Of course I want the least amount of drone and in cab noise but with a good idle growl and get up. But at cruising speeds to be fine. I guess I'm leaning towards a Magnaflow as of right now. Then I've even heard about replacing the muffler then just adding a tip on the end of the stock pipe...how will that be? I'm trying to do this on a budget and trying to figure out what the best option is. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've also heard of people just changing out the muffler and getting a shop to weld some pipes on with a tip and it being fairly cheap. How is that option?
I just purchaced a 14" magnaflow muffler for my 06 f150 4.6L. Im converting it to SIDO from SISO. I should be getting it all here and installed on thursday the 10th. ill let u know how it sounds and ill put up a vid if u havent made a decision by then

Old 02-08-2011 | 12:20 AM
|
Hardrock are you getting a shop to do some pipe work for you? What exits?

Old 02-08-2011 | 01:00 AM
|
Can anyone tell me what the oval size has to do with? Does it matter? Does it affect the sound? And also what is the difference with the pipe locations at the ends of the muffler (center, offset)? Do those affect anything or just for the placement of the pipes?

Old 02-08-2011 | 07:31 PM
^ Lets use Magnaflow as an example here. A 14" round muffler (14"x4" aka magnapack) will be much louder than a 14"x 4x8" oval muffler. The reason being is that the 4x8" oval has more service area of packing material. The shape also aids in how the sound waves react. The oval shape alone allows more waves to cancel them selfs out. There are also 2 different size oval mufflers from Magnaflow. In general, the largest service area will be quieter, and slightly deeper in tone. If you haven't figured it out yet, a longer muffler will also be quieter.

In/Out configurations? The different offsets are available for a wide verity of installations. They typically don't effect the sound or loudness of the muffler.

Old 02-08-2011 | 09:45 PM
|
Well I feel like a complete idiot. So I went to the exhaust shop today with one of my buddies just to get a price on how much everything would cost. They said about 130 for everything installed so I tried to bargin with them but they didn't budge so I said why not go for it.

Original plan was to replace the OEM muffler with the 14inch magnaflow. But after he hacked off the muffler my friend said "I bet that'll sound so mean like that!" So he lowered it and started it up just for laughs and see how loud it would be. And let me tell you it sounded so mean and I actually liked it. So long story short I decided just to do that. Hack off the muffler and leave it. So charged 40 bucks which I thought was pretty pricey to just cut it off which I could've done if I knew I was going that route.

Drove away and I was pretty happy at first. Showed all my friends and they loved it. Basically drove all over town. Then it started to get to me. The drone, the loudness, and then came the headache. I had a headache the whole time. This thing was freaking loud in my perspective. And now I find myself missing that silence I used to have.

Anyway I had the stock tail pipe but no muffler in the bed. Left it at the shop. I went back and the guy was putting it in the bed and bam...dinged the side of the bed and left a good little scratch. He tried to cover it before I saw and not say anything but I noticed right away. Now I have that so I said he owes me BIG time! So now on Thursday I'm going back to get the OEM muffler and tail pipe welded back on. He is still trying to convince me I want the 14 magna but I realized today that I truly love the quietness of my truck. So I'm thinking he better weld it all back on for free. I was already charged 40 for a freaking hack job.

What do you all think? I've been down on myself all day and not to mention the headache. Do you think everything will go back on fine and be like the original?

It's been a stressful day for me...but I guess you live and you learn

Old 02-08-2011 | 09:50 PM
Dang man, im sorry to hear that. sounds like you could use a beer.
and $40 to cut a pipe.....thats just wrong.

Old 02-08-2011 | 10:59 PM
|
I hear that. And to top it off I stepped in poop after all of this. So it's been a great day! haha but there is always tomorrow. Does it sound reasonable to have him put the stock back on for free after the dent and everything?

Old 02-08-2011 | 11:15 PM
Sounds like a really bad day, but

1. You should have known better than to think you will like it with no muffler and cut off under the bed.

2. You should have told him 40 was way to high and that you are not paying it.

Old 02-08-2011 | 11:20 PM
That being said, life is full of lessons, and we should learn from them.

Better luck next time!

Quick Reply: Looking for a new muffler