New Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Exhaust System?

Happy 4th to everyone!

I am toying with putting a new system on my 2000 ExtCab F-150 w/7700 package and need some advice. My wife and I do a lot of camping/fishing and tend to get up early to go fishing. I would like to install a performance enhancing exhaust sytem to the truck but don't want a lot of noise but I do want the truck to sound good also.

I have been looking at the Magnaflow Cat-Back system but am open to any suggestion. Would appreciate any info.

Thanks!!

Barry

Old 07-04-2001, 12:14 PM
Fishing Nut:

Make sure you get the "Y" pipe mod done at the same time. That's where the worst restriction is.

Mark
SundayNiagara

Old 07-04-2001, 01:51 PM
Thumbs up

I wanted exactly the same in my performance exhaust that you have described. In the end, I opted for true duals with a single muffler. The Y and stock muffler and tailpipe were removed. The muffler I would recommend is the Flowmaster 70 series with dual-in/dual-out. I have it set-up with the tailpipes straight out the back but you could configure it anyway you like. It is reasonably quiet at idle and sounds powerful but not loud when you get on the gas. Down the highway it is a very comfortable ride with no cab drone. Over all I am extremely satisfied with this set-up. Hope this is useful to you.

Old 07-04-2001, 01:55 PM
There are several systems that should be quiet enough for your needs. The Magnaflow has sounded good on all the trucks I've seen with them. Deep but not loud. Gibson side swept is also a fairly quiet system.

Try a search on these two, and possibly Borla. I've seen mixed feedback on the sound of the Borla systems, some are louder than others.

Old 07-04-2001, 02:33 PM
Thumbs up

When I had my system installed it was to quiet. I had one of the Spintech mufflers with a two in and one out design. The two in was fed from the "X" pipe that they use to replace the "Y" pipe. I had them put on a two in and two out system that was more to my liking. I'm sure the first one I had installed would be to your liking. Go to this site for more info: http://www.spintechmufflers.com

Old 07-04-2001, 03:30 PM
Sprintsrule (or anyone that knows),
Have any knowledge of which gives you more low torque? Spintech or Gibson Side Sept?
Thanks,
Li'l Joe

Old 07-05-2001, 10:36 AM
New Exhaust System

Thanks for all the great info. Mark, when I have the system installed, do I tell the mechanic to make the Y mod and he will know what I am talking about?

Barry

Old 07-05-2001, 07:09 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Thumbs up Exhaust System

Go with MagnaFlow muffler #12368. This is the one I have on my truck. I love it!!!!!Had custom pipes with dual 3.5" x 22" Stainless Steel Cannons running out the back. I hope this helps!!!!!
Lariat#1

Old 07-05-2001, 07:15 PM
The "Y" pipe is Flowmaster # Y250300A, get it from www.racerpartswholesale.com $29,99+shipping. Don't have your exhaust done without it.

Old 07-08-2001, 09:01 PM
Doorslammer, read your thread about Magnaflow muffler # 12368.
I am planning to replace my exhaust system on my 2001 Supercrew with a Gibson Sideswept. I understand to do a correct installation the muffler should be replaced. The question(s) I have
a.) does subject muffler also apply to the Supercrew?
b.) does the noise level increase by installing this muffler?
Thanks,
RN

Old 07-12-2001, 10:15 PM
Gibson Swept Side does it!

Check out my sig, and click the link. You can hear and see it. It sounds great. Almost sounded completely stock when I first installed it but with in a couple months it got a little louder. SOunds great. Like an old "big block" rumble. Nice a mellow and it designed to improve low end!

I love it on my Expy.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust System?