Flowmaster to Magnapack... What length? Part number? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011 | 12:01 PM
|
Question Flowmaster to Magnapack... What length? Part number? Please help!

Hi,
I currently have a SIDO Flowmaster 40 series on my 09' 4.6L Screw. I want to change over to a Magnapack but have a few questions I would appreciate some assistance with.

1. Is there a recommended SIDO Magnapack? If so I could simple swap the two but if not...
2. What length Magnapack (14", 16", ect.) would you recommend to run true duals with and X pipe?
3. How does a single Mgnapack sound dumped behind the diff?

Any info would be great and part numbers with recommended vendors would be great.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011 | 12:32 PM
1. Magnapacks are all SI/SI you'll just have to get a split Y pipe right after the muffler to run dual tips and it'll sound great

Old 04-28-2011 | 12:41 PM
The shorter the Magnapack, the louder it will be. If you want it loud, get with a shorter one.

IMO, don't dump it behind the diff. It won't project sound nearly as well and there will probably be significant drone with that setup.

Old 04-28-2011 | 01:08 PM
Answers in bold below:

Originally Posted by 09SilverScrew
Hi,
I currently have a SIDO Flowmaster 40 series on my 09' 4.6L Screw. I want to change over to a Magnapack but have a few questions I would appreciate some assistance with.

1. Is there a recommended SIDO Magnapack? If so I could simple swap the two but if not...

You could buy a 'pack and a Y pipe and have it welded in to make a SIDO system. 08FX4 had that on his old truck and it sounded great.

2. What length Magnapack (14", 16", ect.) would you recommend to run true duals with and X pipe?

I recommend my setup. It's in my signature. Here's a pic of the part #s.

Sound it affected by length and casing size so recommendations are subjective.

3. How does a single Mgnapack sound dumped behind the diff?

Don't dump. Muffles the sound projection and causes even more drone in the cab.

Any info would be great and part numbers with recommended vendors would be great.

Thanks!
Because you are in CA you can't touch the cats really so I would get the shortest Magnapack which is the 14". The had one shorter for a while but it's not on their website now. Buy from Performance Peddler with the coupon code "clubgp." Cheapest I've found.

Last edited by rllackey28; 04-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2011 | 11:02 AM
|
I appreciate all the advice guys. I have a couple more questions I thought you might be able to help with.

Is there a difference in sound running a Magnapack with a Y pipe as opposed to just running a single pipe out the back?
I am looking for a deeper sound than the current Flowmaster 40 series with a more even tone. Which route would you suggest... true duals or the Y pipe? I can't touch the cats so is true duals even worth it?

Thanks again guys!

Old 04-29-2011 | 11:38 AM
Truck of the Month
yes there is, a single pipe won't "resonate" as much with duals or dual tips....true duals with an X crossover will give it a more choppier, distinct, and uinique tone, still the same sound, while a single maggiepack with y pipe in the back will have more sound, i'm running a 3" magnapack and dual tips, out 45d, plenty of noise for me and stock cats

not quite sure if i understand my own wording but the basic concept applies, read up the exhaust guide, and it will describe the diffrences you mentioned

Old 05-03-2011 | 03:09 PM
|
rllackey28 - are the part numbers you posted in the picture for the 14" Magnapacks? I really like the sound your truck produces and want to get as close to it as possible. I know you have a tune and cats but true dual packs on a 4.6l will still sound good, right? If you had my truck would you go 14" or bigger?

Old 05-03-2011 | 09:58 PM
Yes, those are mine sitting on my kitchen table before the install. 4.6 Punisher has almost the same setup as I do or I have almost the same setup as him, lol. Only he has 2.25" tubing I think. I don't recommend 2.25" tubing for smooth bend tubing and I think I remember him saying he doesn't either. Yours won't be as loud as mine because of the stock cats but I think you'll be really happy with those my setup.

Old 06-03-2011 | 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by UNC Lariat
The shorter the Magnapack, the louder it will be. If you want it loud, get with a shorter one.

IMO, don't dump it behind the diff. It won't project sound nearly as well and there will probably be significant drone with that setup.
What's the part number for your XR-1? Your setup sounds awesome.

Old 06-04-2011 | 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by Arklight
What's the part number for your XR-1? Your setup sounds awesome.
Thanks man. It's part # 40941.

Old 06-04-2011 | 05:05 PM
Thanks man. It's part # 40941.
Thanks! I keep watching your videos. LOL

How's the interior sound? I am still deciding on my exhaust setup but need to take into account my wife and two little kids.

Is it intrusively loud inside?

Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2011 | 06:01 PM
Thanks! I keep watching your videos. LOL

How's the interior sound? I am still deciding on my exhaust setup but need to take into account my wife and two little kids.

Is it intrusively loud inside?

Thanks again!
It's not bad at all. On the highway, there is a little drone but my tires are just as loud as my exhaust. On acceleration, it's louder but not obnoxious. My wife and daughter ride with me all the time and they don't complain.

I will say this, if you're going from a stock muffler to my setup, it's going to be a big change to you and you'll probably think it's loud. I went from stock, to a Magnaflow catback, to high flow cats, to the XR1. It was much smaller increments in sound that way. The biggest change in sound came from the high flow cats. In fact, for about 2 weeks, I thought I was going to remove them because I thought it was too loud. After a few months, I wanted more volume though. I guess it will be true dual XR1s next.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Old 06-04-2011 | 06:17 PM
It's not bad at all. On the highway, there is a little drone but my tires are just as loud as my exhaust. On acceleration, it's louder but not obnoxious. My wife and daughter ride with me all the time and they don't complain.

I will say this, if you're going from a stock muffler to my setup, it's going to be a big change to you and you'll probably think it's loud. I went from stock, to a Magnaflow catback, to high flow cats, to the XR1. It was much smaller increments in sound that way. The biggest change in sound came from the high flow cats. In fact, for about 2 weeks, I thought I was going to remove them because I thought it was too loud. After a few months, I wanted more volume though. I guess it will be true dual XR1s next.

Sorry for the threadjack.
Yeah, sorry for the threadjack, OP. Hope it is not to much of an inconvience.

From what I understand, the 09-10 F150s have 2 cats that are somewhat high-flow already, so I wonder how different (or similar?) it would sound on my truck. Also, I would probably have to go with the 40943 since I believe my inlet size is 3" on my model year. Thoughts?

I showed your videos to my wife and she thought your truck sounded cool. lol

Last edited by Arklight; 06-04-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2011 | 08:00 PM
Yeah, sorry for the threadjack, OP. Hope it is not to much of an inconvience.

From what I understand, the 09-10 F150s have 2 cats that are somewhat high-flow already, so I wonder how different (or similar?) it would sound on my truck. Also, I would probably have to go with the 40943 since I believe my inlet size is 3" on my model year. Thoughts?

I showed your videos to my wife and she thought your truck sounded cool. lol
I'm not that familiar with the 09s+ so I don't know about the inlet size. I have heard that they are louder than the 04-08s. If I were you, I'd start out with the muffler you want and add high flows later if you crave more sound. You won't save much, if any money by doing it all at once.

Old 06-04-2011 | 08:59 PM
I'm not that familiar with the 09s+ so I don't know about the inlet size. I have heard that they are louder than the 04-08s. If I were you, I'd start out with the muffler you want and add high flows later if you crave more sound. You won't save much, if any money by doing it all at once.
Yeah, only problem is I live in California so high flow cats.later are not an option. Hopefully the stock cats are high flow enough. Lol

Quick Reply: Flowmaster to Magnapack... What length? Part number? Please help!