Magnaflow tips turning yellow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011 | 02:46 PM
|
Magnaflow tips turning yellow?

I just got my magnaflow system installed a couple hundred miles ago. Today I towed something for about 2 hrs. It seems that the entire tip is turning a bronze yellow color. Is that normal...will it wash off??? I didn't think it should do this...

Old 05-14-2011 | 02:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Consistent heat does that to stainless, sometimes even in a purple color. Get some Borla stainless exhaust polish or a tub of NeverDull from walmart/autozone and clean them up, it should not be permanent.

Old 05-14-2011 | 09:33 PM
|
Cool I'll have to try that stuff. It caught me off guard. I know how ss headers change to some nice colors...just didn't dawn on me the tips can too. And it happened so fast...a 200mile trip towing a small covered trailer did it. Now not all tips do that right...double wall won't?

Old 05-14-2011 | 09:48 PM
I'm having the same problem with my ss tips. I just put the exhaust on about two weeks ago and already can see the yellowish tint to them. HELP!

Old 05-14-2011 | 09:50 PM
|
Darren posted something to try.

Old 05-14-2011 | 10:00 PM
Going to local autozone and get some neverdull tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2011 | 10:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by NOLAGT
Cool I'll have to try that stuff. It caught me off guard. I know how ss headers change to some nice colors...just didn't dawn on me the tips can too. And it happened so fast...a 200mile trip towing a small covered trailer did it. Now not all tips do that right...double wall won't?
I am not positive on that one. If it happens to single wall it should happen to double also. I have gone on 250 mile trips with a loaded cab, non towing, and my tips were fine. The only fault to the tips on my old truck was road tar, tire rubber from burn outs, and oxidation from abuse being 45 degree angled.

Old 05-14-2011 | 11:25 PM
I'm a freak when it comes to tips.

Here is the best way I have found and I have tried a few.

Borla Exhaust Polish > NeverDull.

Get some bronze wool and a can of the Borla SS polish. I ordered both of Amazon, it was barely over 23 bucks or so. Wash the tips and then dry them. Then take a peice of bronze wool and apply some Borla SS polish to it and work it back and forth across the tip and on the inner lip if you have rolled edge tips. Keep doing that until it is very very smooth and the tarnish is gone. And then buff out the residue. Then you can take a Mother's cone and apply some Borla polish to it and work it in that way and then buff it out. That combo does a great job

Quick Reply: Magnaflow tips turning yellow?